Air Trap Sponsons

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Carl, the shingle thickness that I use is .030. Thinner shingles do not work as well and I haven't yet tried any that are thicker.

The shingles are a constant thickness, they are just stacked one on top of the other at an angle.

If the bottom of the sponson is flat, the shingles can be glued together on a flat surface and then attached to the sponson. If the bottom of the sponson is curved, I place a layer of Saran Wrap on the sponson and build up the shingles on top of the Saran Wrap so the curve of the strip matches the sponson bottom exactly. I use medium super glue for the adhesive.

I also build the shingled pad in a piece wide enough that I can cut it into strips, that way all of the strips are the same.

Charles
hi charley

speaking of little strips

i remember doing that to my 3.5 inboard mono

the little Scraco. probably not spelled right

joe monohan

Hello Carl, the shingle thickness that I use is .030. Thinner shingles do not work as well and I haven't yet tried any that are thicker.

The shingles are a constant thickness, they are just stacked one on top of the other at an angle.

If the bottom of the sponson is flat, the shingles can be glued together on a flat surface and then attached to the sponson. If the bottom of the sponson is curved, I place a layer of Saran Wrap on the sponson and build up the shingles on top of the Saran Wrap so the curve of the strip matches the sponson bottom exactly. I use medium super glue for the adhesive.

I also build the shingled pad in a piece wide enough that I can cut it into strips, that way all of the strips are the same.

Charles
hi charley

speaking of little strips

i remember doing that to my 3.5 inboard mono

the little Scraco. probably not spelled right

joe monohan

Hello Joe, its been a long time, good to hear from you. You may as well come on back in from the dark and join us "Habitual" boaters.

We just can't get it out of our blood, can we?

Charles

I love this thread. Lots of info from many people. Now, getting to shingled sponsons, the Bud team used them on the Griffon Buds to free the sponsons up from some of the hydrodynamic drag. The Miss Madison team did the same with the 8806 boat in the last few years it raced on the right sponson while leaving the left with a flat running surface. I talked to Mike Hansen about the shingled bottom and he said essentially the same thing, it lessened the hydrodynamic drag, making the boat faster and, with the flat left runner, a sharper turning boat. For those that haven't seen the 1980 Griffon Bud, the shingles are all individually mounted to the bottom of the sponsons with a 25% overlap over the front edge of the previous one

Marty,

Yes it is the same Gene Adams from waaaaaaaay back LOL :lol: He is just getting back into boats after a 20+yr break, and he is catching up FAST!!! :p

Don :)

For all us senior citizens Jack Oxley is still kicken and fisty as ever -- he came out to visit this past week end at Legg Lake

If you would like to call him and chat I.m sure he would love to hear from you

His home phone 562 596 6250

Have a great day

Henry

Marty,

Yes it is the same Gene Adams from waaaaaaaay back LOL :lol: He is just getting back into boats after a 20+yr break, and he is catching up FAST!!! :p

WOW, that really neat to hear. I one time traded him a baot kit for one of his "Barstock Pipes" I remember him very well and how fast he was. All his boats were black with a lot of handmade stuff.

If he gets on IW, I would sure like to know his handle.

For all us senior citizens Jack Oxley is still kicken and fisty as ever -- he came out to visit this past week end at Legg Lake

Have a great day

Henry
Oxley is still kicking. Holy crap. Since I had not heard anything about him in a while, I had thought he had moved on to the great boat marina in the sky. Should be fun to see him next year at nats. Causing trouble as usuall.

Mike

Is Gene Adams the guy that showed up at the SGRA race with a black twin that he was rope starting??? I think he was a tool and dye or pattern maker. If it is the same guy his boat was gorgous with many one of a kind machined parts. I hope it is him. I love to see great workmanship. Gary

Marty,

We have a 2-lap trials this weekend I am sure Gene will be there to help & maybe run a time or two. I will tell him to post a little something here.

Gary,

Yes, that was Gene & the last time I saw him (about a month ago) he was still "Rope Starting"!!! Gene is retired now and does the "RV thing" (so do I) He was a foreman for a drywall co. for most of his working career. He still is one of the best craftsmen in the hobby

Have a great day

Henry
Oxley is still kicking. Holy crap. Since I had not heard anything about him in a while, I had thought he had moved on to the great boat marina in the sky. Should be fun to see him next year at nats. Causing trouble as usuall.

Mike
He still scares the **** out of me. He use to yell at me when I was a kid.

Robert

When in doubt ... just do it !!

http://www.jrcbd.com...ead.php?t=34248
Posted for the record of those trying and applying http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=38224

Hello Scott, I've just sent you a letter via the e-mail facility on here.

Cheers,

Wennie
Back at ya .... best way to get ahead of those you race against .... try or do what they are not. If all else fails pull up a chair after the fact, buy em a beer and start brain picking :blink:

Back at ya .... best way to get ahead of those you race against .... try or do what they are not. If all else fails pull up a chair after the fact, buy em a beer and start brain picking :blink:

Thanks Scott, I received your reply and appreciate your advice.

Will send you a few photos this weekend.

Regards,

Wennie.

Marty,

We have a 2-lap trials this weekend I am sure Gene will be there to help & maybe run a time or two. I will tell him to post a little something here.

Gary,

Yes, that was Gene & the last time I saw him (about a month ago) he was still "Rope Starting"!!! Gene is retired now and does the "RV thing" (so do I) He was a foreman for a drywall co. for most of his working career. He still is one of the best craftsmen in the hobby

Don:

Tell him I was asking about him. Let us know what he is running and if his buddy (Leon) still helps him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty,

Will do. Have not seen his buddy Leon Emery for a long time. Gene is running a 21 crapshooter that is about 30 yrs old and looks brand new!!! Maybe one of yours? :D He is setting up & testing for SAW.

Marty,

Will do. Have not seen his buddy Leon Emery for a long time. Gene is running a 21 crapshooter that is about 30 yrs old and looks brand new!!! Maybe one of yours? :D He is setting up & testing for SAW.

Wow! I saw Gene race at the 1978 NAMBA in Naples Fla. A bunch of the old time greats where there....including Marty Davis. Too many to list here though. Wow...that was 32 years ago. Have I been boating racing that long? Yep! I guess so! Oh and I was rope starting back then too.

Latest posts

Back