AA .45 engine carb

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Rick not completely sure which pipe it is, believe it is the aa .45 parabolic one , I have it at 9.5...Bob voilet needle in it
Brian,

Figured thats what you were gonna say.

I also had troubles trying that pipe, Jerry Crowther told me to put a Macs 7.5 marine pipe on it. I did and off to the races we were.

You are running 5/32" fuel tube in the tanks, correct?

When it goes lean and dies, is it after putting the cowling on it? (pinching a fuel line)??

I have all the fuel lines tuck away from it, had that issue with my gas rigger once, I'm really convinced it all has to do with that remote needle and my lack of knowledge on them, really has me frustrated with time and money ive sunk into it in the last 2 weeks and really frustrating having to miss the nationals with it, i know it would have been competitive because Henry does real well with his others but it is called racing right

Brian,

Wish I was closer too, to help you out.

I do-not have experience with the Bob Violet needle, I have had good luck with the Andy Brown K needles which are now available from Al Hobbs.

Sorry Rick not completely sure which pipe it is, believe it is the aa .45 parabolic one , I have it at 9.5...Bob voilet needle in it
Alright then, I will try and be concise, an Eagle, AA45, AA parabolic pipe, now your talking my language.
1) Eagle SGX set up, remove the skid fin, place the boat on a level table resting on the riding surfaces, not the strut, that should be just off the table. We'll come back to that.

2) Measure the distance from the table to the tub bottom at the point just before the rear sponsons. Same measurement at the engine. The front measurement should be a couple millimetres higher, this creates the lift that keeps the belly out of the water.

3) Use a level on your front sponsons, starting point is with both being level. You may find that you need to place shims under the front or rear booms to get your level profile.

4) Your strut, starting point, one or two degrees negative angle with the height set with the prop hub being just at but not in the water, you want it to spin freely.

5). Now your AA 45, I have used the parabolic AA pipe extensively but there is a sweet spot. At 9.5 inches measured from the centre of the cylinder, this is the sweet spot but if your AA is new it might not be ready for that tight length, stretch that out to 9.75 or even 10 inches for now. At 9.5 your going to have a crappy idle, it will not idle consistently and to keep it clean your going to need to be at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in order to get from the bench to the water and it will rise and fall during the walk. Get your throttle a little high at this point it just might clean out and scream in your hands. Don't be alarmed, just back down a tad. You may have your needle on the lean side here if it does it a lot. Remember you want it rich enough so that when you hit WOT it is correct but that setting will create iratic running on the bench and before you hit the water. This all assumes your at 9.5", close to 10" will lessen this effect.

6). You can test the correct setting of your needle on the bench to get you in the ball park, start it, get it running clean with the glow driver on the plug and likely close to 1/2 throttle, it should be fairly steady. Remove the driver, all is still steady, now go full throttle, there should be a couple seconds of lag as the motor cleans out and revs up, assuming this worked this way, immediately pull the stick back to 50%. If it revs out almost instantly, your too lean, richen it up until you get that lag, now your in the zone.

7). Props, 1450 is too small, 1655 is good when you know your sweet spot and your full set up is correct, I would suggest 1457 as a good starting point, only prop up when you get all other things working perfectly.

8). This is a set up thing, make sure your fuel supply and lines are good, if you have any leaks or pin holes you can drive yourself batty chasing ghosts. If their not all new, swap them all out for new to be sure, make sure all attachment points are snug, goal here is to make sure your not sucking unwanted air anywhere, those are the ghosts I'm talking about.

That's about it for getting an Eagle and AA working for you, beyond this is all about fine tuning and maximizing your pursuit of speed.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked with Henry on the phone for awhile today and you both are saying the same thing, I just need to step back and start over after a good deep breathe, I can not express my gratitude for all the comments and suggestions you great people have given, I do hope to be able to meet each and everyone in vegas, I do believe some adult beverages are in order and sit around and tell some lies....

Sincerely

Brian Phillips

After talking with a few guys that probably have forgot more than i'll ever know gonna give it another try in couple weeks, Thanks to all that posted suggestions, very grateful for you all

Brian

Back