A Great Day/EOP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally took time to call Jerry Betke and Lenard Skwiera to get their thoughts about the "Trophy". Jerry and I were both members of the Wolverine (Detriot) club when this award came into being, Len was a member of the Indy club at that time as well. Our recall of how it all came to be was that John Bridge and Bill LeFeber hatched the idea and through many phone conversations and discussions with IMPBA members around the country to determine the criteria the award was established. The 3 of us may be the only ones left who were in the room at the time when it was formulated and began. Len was the first awardee, given at the 1972 Internats in Flint, MI. From the outset with the given criteria the award gained great respect thru out the model boat racing community but it's prestige today is far greater because of the quantity and quality of the recipients that have received it.

One comment by Len, makes me think there are few loose ends that could make the award more complete. Lenard can't recall that he even had the "Trophy" for a year. My recall was that the awardee was to have his or her picture taken with it at the banquet and then the awardee received a frame picture later. Lenard doesn't have the picture but would dearly love a plaque like Stu received this year. My question to IMPBA members is this, can we continue this award where the "Trophy" is awarded and held for one year and then a plaque is given to the award winner to keep as a permanent memento of their tremendous accomplishment? Jerry, Lenard and I want to thank all those involved with the care, restoration and continuation of this great symbol of excellence!!!

Thanks, John

Dick, Stu Barr's name will be put on one of the blank brass plates. A shipping case ie similar to the case used for the timing equipment is being purchased

Mark Bullard is taking the trophy to a jeweler friend to refurbish the silver and brass

IT WILL THEN BE SHIPPED TO STU

BTW MARK BULLARD IS PAYING FOR ALL OF THIS HIMSELF!!!

He would be commenting on the plans, but for Don Ferrette's policing.

BTW it did get to Huntsville with the help of Steve Ball picking it up I believe in Toledo.

As the kids say "You Guys Rock"!!!
default_smile.png

Back