24 volt starter set-ups

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just?

12/24 volt...

startbox3.jpg

where did you get the power "posts" from? I was looking for something exactly like that....

~James

sorry i was having a moment! just looking for different set-up ideas like yours..was wondering if you could use an electrical outlet on the box and the plug on the starter??do you think the 2 would be alright for the different voltages??im just using the gator clips and am afraid they will pop off and short out something

sorry i was having a moment! just looking for different set-up ideas like yours..was wondering if you could use an electrical outlet on the box and the plug on the starter??do you think the 2 would be alright for the different voltages??im just using the gator clips and am afraid they will pop off and short out something

Yes it will work because that exactly what I've been doing for years.

i thought it would.. i have the batts in a tool box and wanted to mount an outlet to it and than i can juat plug it in.just seems safer that way.

I'm using a RV wall outlet in/on my toolbox .

Yes .. it's for 12V ... but using it for years on 24V.

where did you get the power "posts" from? I was looking for something exactly like that....
~James
James, those are brass bolts & nuts from the local Home Depot. The + & - colored washers are nylon, but Rit dyed - also Home Depot.

When setting up this starter box, I first thought of using computer power plugs.. but thought that if my starter blew up, I'd be stuck if I had no back up starter wired with those same plugs... This way, I can always borrow another starter. :)

Duane

I use a stanley plastic tool box in which I made a small terminal box in the front. I use alligator clips on the brass bolts. I used to use a plug, but when I added outboards, the polarity of the starter had to be reversable. The bolts are recessed into a pocket in the front of the box to protect them from shorting out. I only run 24V, so there are only 2 posts. I charge it with an automatic 24V scooter charger from the 3 prong plug.

anyone who is making a battery box i would sugest putting a inline fuse on the + lead from the battery. If it does short out the battery could explode. a 15A fuse would be more than enough.

Great timing, I am building a new starting box. Ray, I like yours very much, simple but effective. I may make an adapter to plug in from the outside with posts on it for when a buddies batteries die and he wants to start off mine using his starter with alligator clamps. He doesn't like my dynatron for starting 3.5 outboards...

This site still rocks with good helpful info...

My box is much hte same, 2ea 12Ah gell cells in a plastic tool box with storage for the starter and a tool tray. I distributed my batteries at either end of the box for better balance. The started stores in the space between the batteries. I placed a mini power panel in an accessory compartment in the lid of the box. The panel consists of a glow driver rheostat and guage along with a plug for the plug clip. I used alligator clips because I have seen a starter pull the battery box off of the starter stand due to the cable connection to the box. Alligator clips will pull off if the cable gets too tight. They also allow reversing the starter direction very easily. The down side is that they can also pull off the terminals during starting if you get tangled up or pull the cord. To each their own.

For those who use a power plug on their starter, I suggest that you go with computer safety plugs... You never know when some kid will pick that starter up & try to plug into 110v.. POOF!

I have a outlet in my box then you just plug starter right up to it very easy

Hey Robert:

What are you done with carrying your car battery on your shoulder, back & forth from the pits???

It's about time, I've only watched you do it for what, 3 years?

See ya in Miami??

Rick

Back