2024 nitro nats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copied from another thread.

Boaters,
IMPBA board has approved the date for the 2024 Internats in Huntsville. October 13 - 19 US-1 format. Open water Oct. 11-12.

The club is in process of finalizing the official bid package which includes the letter of permission from the city, but there is no reason to think that will not happen. You should plan around these dates for the event. Once all the paperwork is in place, we will make an official announcement of the event.

Should be a good time and nice weather that time of year. Thank you Huntsville for hosting again!

Witch every one that wants to qualify for us1 must run as opposed to new format where they do heat racing first and top five or twenty percent of class witch ever is greater qualify us1 time trials

Witch every one that wants to qualify for us1 must run as opposed to new format where they do heat racing first and top five or twenty percent of class witch ever is greater qualify us1 time trials
The new format you refer to is really not new, it was put into place quite a number of years ago. Many seem to forget that back when the original version was the only US-1 format, you were also restricted to how many total boats you could enter. When the top 5 or 20% (whichever is greater) format was created the boat limit was dropped. I've run both and the top 5/20% really is the way to go. In my opinion everyone running for time trials chews up a lot of time (it does however potentially serve to make the host club more money). Also, it seems tougher nowadays for people to give up 11 vacation days (9 pond days and a travel day on each end) especially when their kids are back in school. And lastly, let's be a little realistic, if you're out of the top 5 in heat racing (where points towards US-1 are doubled) you're probably not gonna be stitching that US-1 patch on your jacket. Is it mathematically possible? Well.... maybe but I'd bet you're more likely to get struck by lightning. Not looking to ruffle feathers but I said it so flame suit on..............

for me personally. I just want to get the most laps for my money. If that has me breaking hearts in the last heat.. well.. sounds fun to me. Its a LOT of money and time to do this race and to me its laps per dollar spent, even if I blow my chances at a US1 or a win for that matter.

Grim

As CD's in the IMPBA I feel one of our responsibilities is to promote model boating. Over the many years HMBA has hosted the Internats we have introduced over 40 racers to SAW and 2 lap. Several weren't even signed up for those tasks because they had never done them and didn't know how to do them. I have helped them, and they have competed in these two additional events and had a great time doing them and look forward to doing them again. They do not have this opportunity in the other formats.

The idea that anything other than Full Internat event is less of an accomplishment is ridiculous and has divided a very small niche hobby for far too long.
Be great full for whatever format a club is willing to host, and support it if you can, regardless of if it's what you want.
Otherwise we may be left with nothing at all.
I attended last year's Internats with some very good friends and we all had a great time.
While I was completely unprepared and my boats proved that, I wouldn't change anything.
Finally caught up with some old friends, made some new friends and witnessed some really good racing.
Anyone who was able to finish first in their class should definitely be proud of their accomplishment!
As for the host club, they did an amazing job all around and should also be proud of what they accomplished!

Back