1988-90 Miss Circus Circus

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeyer

Hoping some of you scale gurus can help with this series of questions. First, the history as I know it:

1988 (8700) - Built in 1987 as the Miller American, hull driven by Prevost in first 7 races of the season. Won gold cup in Detroit with Chip driving and Miller wings. During break between Seattle and San Diego, this hull became Miller High Life.

1988 (8401) – Built in 1984 as Atlas Van Lines. Canopy added and name changed to Circus Circus after Seattle race. Blew over in San Diego in double flip with Madison.

1989 (8700 and 8401) – Both hulls were used. 8401 was nicknames School Bus while 8700 was often referred to as Pink Lady. 8700 was the primary hull and ran in Houston, Miami, Detroit, Madison, Evansville and Syracuse. Hull flipped in Syracuse. 8401 was used in Tri Cities and Seattle (winning in Seattle). 8700 was repaired and returned to action in San Diego and Las Vegas.

1990 – 8700 was again the primary hull, but 9031(3 wing hull) was brought to many races but I don’t believe it ever qualified.

Now the questions:

- In 1988, the 8401 cowling (while running as Miller HIgh Life) was NOT offset until the rebuild after Seattle (Canopy added). I know the canopy was added but not sure about the offset cowling.

- In 1988, 8701 Miss Circus Circus and San Diego Miller High Life had offset cowling. ???

- In 1989 and 1990, both hulls (8401 and 8700) had offset cowlings. Correct?

- In 1990, what races did the team bring the 3-wing hull to?

I ask all this because I have a Steve Muck hull that I am building as a Circus Circus. The cowling is NOT offset. Need to determine what hulls it can make.

BTW: This is the hull Bob Johnson mentioned in the Circus Circus WOF build thread. "Makes 31 different versions".

Thanks,

Rick

Some good reading, http://www.thunderboats.org/history/history0244.html
cool.gif

Rick - I will post a picture later. Looking at the hull tonite, I believe you are right. The hull I have has a much longer picklefork depth than the 7474 hull. It is a Muck hull, however.

Ray - I read that article as part of my research.

Thanks,

Rick

Could you post a picture of the hull you intend to build,

I think you have a couple of different hulls confused

I will try and get a picture tomorrow. However, the hull looks like 8401 (84 Atlas, 85 Miller American, 87-88 Miller High Life). I would like to make it as the Circus Circus but (I believe) all the Circus hulls from 88-90 had offset cowlings. This hull doesn't.

Rick

"I will try and get a picture tomorrow. However, the hull looks like 8401 (84 Atlas, 85 Miller American, 87-88 Miller High Life). I would like to make it as the Circus Circus but (I believe) all the Circus hulls from 88-90 had offset cowlings. This hull doesn't."

Hey Rick,

I believe you will find that the Muck hull you have will build the MHR 8700. John Borden calls the hull "Slot Deck Pointy Nose". He has/had a Gas Sport hull using that hull. I don't believe any of the Muck hulls used offset. This should not be of any concern with IMPBA of NAMBA - I don't know about legality under R/C Unlimiteds. The MHR 9031 (tri-wing hull) did not qualify at any of the 1990 races. It appears as follows for 1990 races: Jun10 APBA Gold Cup Detroit,Jul1 Thunder in Ohio, Jul15 Thunderboat Classic Syracruse, and Aug5 Ranier Cup Seattle - Did Not Compete. Aug 26 Bud Splash Milwaukee,Sept 16 Mission Bay Cup San Diego, and Sept 22 Silver Cup Las Vegas - Did Not Qualify, and finally Sept 9 Pringles Hydrofest Kansas City - Did not Finish. Circus also raced the MHR 92102.5 hull in 1993 for three races. May 30 Sneaky Pete's Texas Hydrofest Lewisville - placed 4th, Jun6 Bud APBA Gold Cup Detroit - placed 8th, and Jun27 Bud Thunder on the Ohio Evansville - Placed 6th.

I tried to e-mail you at the hotmail.com address, but it was returned as undeliverable. CHEERS !!! Bob

[quote name='rbeyer'

Now the questions:

- In 1988, the 8401 cowling (while running as Miller HIgh Life) was NOT offset until the rebuild after Seattle (Canopy added). I know the canopy was added but not sure about the offset cowling.

- In 1988, 8701 Miss Circus Circus and San Diego Miller High Life had offset cowling. ???

- In 1989 and 1990, both hulls (8401 and 8700) had offset cowlings. Correct?

- In 1990, what races did the team bring the 3-wing hull to?

I ask all this because I have a Steve Muck hull that I am building as a Circus Circus. The cowling is NOT offset. Need to determine what hulls it can make.

BTW: This is the hull Bob Johnson mentioned in the Circus Circus WOF build thread. "Makes 31 different versions".

Thanks,

Rick

From the pictures I can find neither the 8401 nor the 8700 had the engine well offset until after the Jones sponsons were added, after the boats were no longer Circus Circus. The 3 wing boat did have the offset but not the other two.

Bob and Harry: thanks for the info. BTW: I fixed the email address.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Here is my next attempt at figuring this out:

1988 U-00 Miller High Life - no offset and no canopy

1988 U-00 Circus Circus (San Diego) - Canopy and offset

1989 U-31 Circus Circus (backup hull) - Canopy, offset and "traditional" sponsons

1991 - hull added Jones sponsons but no longer Circus Circus

1988 U-31 Circus Circus - Canopy and offset (see Newton Marine 1988 pics for excellent view)

1988 U-31 Miller High Life - Canopy and offset

1989 U-31 Circus Circus - Canopy, offset and Jones Sponsons

Pictures are (L to R) - 1989, 1989, 1988, 1988

Rick

88 Circus Circus U-00 at Dock.jpg

89 Circus Circus on Crane 2.jpg

89 Circus Circus on Crane at Dock.jpg

88 Circus Circus on Trailer.jpg

In case anyone is interested, I think I figured it out.

I believe my previous assumptions are correct. In addition, another distinguishing feature was right in front of my eyes. The 8401 1988 U-00 SD / 1989 Backup and the 8700 89-90 Primary had differences at the nose of the cowling. The 8401 hull had more cowling in front of the canard wings than the 8700 hull (see pictures below).

First picture is 1988 8401 U-00 in San Diego (notice the extended nose)

Next photo is 1989 8700 Primary U-31. (short nose)

Final photo is 1989 8401 Backup (Schoolbus) in Seattle. (long nose and "traditional" sponsons)

Rick

88 Circus Circus U-00 on Trailer.jpg

89 Circus Circus 8401 in Seattle with Jones Verticals.jpg

89 Circus Circus on Water 7.jpg

"I will try and get a picture tomorrow. However, the hull looks like 8401 (84 Atlas, 85 Miller American, 87-88 Miller High Life). I would like to make it as the Circus Circus but (I believe) all the Circus hulls from 88-90 had offset cowlings. This hull doesn't."

Hey Rick,

I believe you will find that the Muck hull you have will build the MHR 8700. John Borden calls the hull "Slot Deck Pointy Nose". He has/had a Gas Sport hull using that hull. I don't believe any of the Muck hulls used offset. This should not be of any concern with IMPBA of NAMBA - I don't know about legality under R/C Unlimiteds. The MHR 9031 (tri-wing hull) did not qualify at any of the 1990 races. It appears as follows for 1990 races: Jun10 APBA Gold Cup Detroit,Jul1 Thunder in Ohio, Jul15 Thunderboat Classic Syracruse, and Aug5 Ranier Cup Seattle - Did Not Compete. Aug 26 Bud Splash Milwaukee,Sept 16 Mission Bay Cup San Diego, and Sept 22 Silver Cup Las Vegas - Did Not Qualify, and finally Sept 9 Pringles Hydrofest Kansas City - Did not Finish. Circus also raced the MHR 92102.5 hull in 1993 for three races. May 30 Sneaky Pete's Texas Hydrofest Lewisville - placed 4th, Jun6 Bud APBA Gold Cup Detroit - placed 8th, and Jun27 Bud Thunder on the Ohio Evansville - Placed 6th.

I tried to e-mail you at the hotmail.com address, but it was returned as undeliverable. CHEERS !!! Bob
Hi Bob

The Circus 92102.5 hull was damaged during the season. I saw it in Kansas City at the race, on a trailer and took pictures. It had front sponson damage and although it made the trip, did not get wet. Loved that boat!!

Cheers

Brian

Hey Rick,

Hi Bob

The Circus 92102.5 hull was damaged during the season. I saw it in Kansas City at the race, on a trailer and took pictures. It had front sponson damage and although it made the trip, did not get wet. Loved that boat!!

Cheers

Brian
go to the NAMBA website www.namba.com and find contact information for Mike McKnight he has all your answers

Wow....been a while since I have been on here. My ears were burning apparently. Thanks for sending him my way Mike, I hooked him up with some pics and info. Unfortunately I'm not on the NAMBA website I don't think as I am not the Scale Chairman anymore. Been too busy with business for boating but I'm getting the itch to get back in the shop when I can get some time.

Back