.12 jae what engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard Welch Jr.

i just bought the kit and will start building. i need a power plant so what is the best motor to do 2 lap and saw with i have an idea but i would like some in put from others oh and pipes .

thanks

howard

Howard NR .12 5 ports worked great on my light version with the Mac 2,5 pipe and lot of guys have had good results with the O.S .18 TZ with the same pipe.Gill

Howard, get ahold of Glenn Quarles on here. He has a new novarossi .12 that is a HOT motor. Would fit the bill perfectly.

I like the 18 tz and a mac 3.5 high nitro pipe.but it would not be leagal in racing i don't thinck.

I believe a.12-18 engine with a pull start will not fit You will need a flywheel and belt. Since you don't use water lines some guys are adding buggy engines-cutting off top fins adding a flywheel. I don't have water to my .18 GO BUT,my buddy uses water lines on his .18 Aftermarket engine from Aeromarine clearance Dept. The NR12 loved the heat ,the hotter that engine gets the better. We don't launch until the head is warm to the touch. Launching a cold NR .12 will stall 10-15" out. Glenn sells the airplane headbutton ,with fins. I seeing a guy running just the water jacket head button,no jacket. Also sells a small thickness starter belt for the small flywheel. . You gotta ask http://www.novarossi.us/

Howard,

I believe it is a nova plus-12-3-SCT , but call Glenn.

It is an on-road motor and it is very nice.

6 to 8 ozs on our hydros.

Enjoy The Challenge,

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind me asking... what size tanks are you guys using for heat racing the .12 sized Hydros??

I have a metal tank... almost 6 ounces... I hated running out of fuel just after 6 on the last lap... and hate having to play the clock game with getting in the water. I can actually run 12+ laps now.

I use an O.S. 18 tz buggy motor with the fins cut off down to the 3rd fin and it still runs cool.A mac 3.5 high nitro or low nitro pipe cut to 3" from the glow plug(Glenn's recommendations). Also I use a 6 oz. sullivan flexible tank to give you more run time. If the 18 is set rich it uses up the 4 oz. quickly. You have to change the crank out to take off the pull start (it won't fit in the tube) and use a flywheel with belt starter. Also, through bolt the motor mounts, the screws will tend to pull out with the constant pulling upward of the motor during starting. Zipp has a 38 mm x 53 mm prop that works well with some work done. Hope this helps.

Back