1/8th scale '73 Pak nitro to fast electric conversion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
I built the boat for a .67 CMB green head, and its kinda heavy...probably 15 to 17lbs finished....is there even a motor/ESC combination that can handle this kind of weight? I don't think i'll ever race it, but id like for it to get up on step, and run at a reasonable speed........it doesn't need to be ballistic, near blow over speed, just fun speed! I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about setting up/rigging an electric 1/8th scale boat.....oh and I was going to run a 1/4" flex shaft for a nitro motor....any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

Halloween 09 021.jpg

Halloween 09 021.jpg

Halloween 09 022.jpg

Halloween 09 024.jpg

Hey Bill, get in touch with (PM) Don Ferrette...He has built a Few 1/8 scale FE Hydros that ran extremely well!

-Kent

I converted a 1989 Dave Frank Executone from nitro to electric. The nitro boat weighed almost 15 lb and the electric version came in at a little over 18 lb. The boat was still fast enough to set the NAMBA 2 lap records in 1/8 scale and T sport hydro. It also won 1/8 scale in the 2012 NAMBA Electric Nationals, all driven by the very capable Brian Buaas. The details are in the Propwash article Electrifying Adventures in Scale. The second scale boat I built enclosed all the electric components in a sealed area similar to the sport 40 pictured below. This system should work on your hull. Below also is a picture of the Executone's winning form.

There are less expensive motor, battery, and ESC choices today. Let me know if you want more information.

Lohring Miller

20151205_094200.jpg 20151205_094302.jpg

First NAMBA Nats 2012.jpg

Last edited:
Bill, I'd say Lohring could probably help you out a little bit too...lol! Top Shelf knowledge from this gentleman!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lohring and Hotwater, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have NO IDEA what to use, where to get it, or what it costs....! Lohring I'm actually relieved to know that someone with your expertise would be willing lend a hand knowledge wise as I would at least like to get in the ballpark with this project from the start and I thank you VERY MUCH! Any info you can give me on what motor and ESC to get and where to get it would be so appreciated so I can get started! I will gladly to send you pics of and any info required should I need to change things in the boat.... I don't even know what kind of drive shaft to use in place of the 1/4" flex shaft I was going to use for the nitro version for the boat..! MANY THANKS!

Nice looking 1/8 th scale those weight numbers arent that bad, I have a dumas miller american all wood kit, with a cmb green head that runs well at 16 lbs with fuel, not the fastest boat on the pond but allways finishes and dosent blow over, and fun to run . I am not a fan of super lightweight boats because they blow over so easy. Some times weight is a good thing rc 90 boat.

Nice looking 1/8 th scale those weight numbers arent that bad, I have a dumas miller american all wood kit, with a cmb green head that runs well at 16 lbs with fuel, not the fastest boat on the pond but allways finishes and dosent blow over, and fun to run . I am not a fan of super lightweight boats because they blow over so easy. Some times weight is a good thing rc 90 boat.
. Thanks rc 90 boat! The boat has been at that stage for almost 5 years, and after 30+ years of running/racing nitro boats I just wanted to give FE a try..... Ive been playing with brushless r/c planes for about 7 years and I'm just AMAZED at the performance / power of 'em!

. Thanks rc 90 boat! The boat has been at that stage for almost 5 years, and after 30+ years of running/racing nitro boats I just wanted to give FE a try..... Ive been playing with brushless r/c planes for about 7 years and I'm just AMAZED at the performance / power of 'em!
I had no clue you even had that lying around Windex- Nice looking build as usual-
default_cool.png

Bill,

There are several combinations of motors you could use. Cost from $150-300. Dimentions 40mmX90-105mm to 56mm X 92mm. You also need to decide on voltage as 6S, 8S and 10S will work. Comes down to what will fit in your hull. You will need at least 5000ma total to 8-10000ma for longer run time. Means 6S packs in parallel or for 8S maybe 2 4S in series. For longer run times can you fit say 4 packs? 2 in series wired parallel to 2 more in series. Higher voltage will be less amps to do the work. A say $300 Swordfish 300amp would handle down to 6S higher amps. Look on Offshore Electrics as they have the best stock in FE. Once you know what batteries will fit, then choose a motor with KV rating to accomplish a target rpm. I like e Castle 2028 800kv (56X92mm) on 8 or 10S for larger hulls. A 40X90+mm 1250KV on 6S will be equal to a .67 nitro. Many choices will work. Give me a call if you still have my number and I would be happy to share any knowledge I might have.

I remember we discussed a smaller option at one time and it inspired me to build a $59 JAE 12 nitro boat and modify it for FE. Using a $29 28X58mm Turnigy 2900kv motor on 3S and a $25 helicopter 80a ESC not water cooled. it runs in the low 40's. Under $200 rigged. On 4S with a 3660mm motor, and WC 120amp ESC it runs low 60's. Cheap fun.

Mic

All the above are good suggestions. I run 8S with 4 - 5000 mah packs; 2 - 4S in series wired together in parallel with a wye connector to the ESC. The Neu motor, Castle ESC are still the premium combination. You need at least 5.5 mm bullet connectors. 8 mm connectors to the ESC and motor aren't a bad idea. You can still use 5.5 mm connectors to the 5000 mah batteries since each will be handling 1/2 the total current. We tested some HET motors and they seemed to be similar to the Neu 1527 at a lower price. The Turnigy SK3 is an even lower cost choice. Somewhere between a KV of 900 to 1000 is about right for 8S. That will give between 22,000 and 24,000 rpm under load. With 10S, you would get around 24,000 rpm with 800 KV.

I love the Turnigy Marine (SeaKing) ESCs for dependability and low cost, but the 180 amp isn't rated for 8S It also doesn't seem to be compatible with Neu motors. The other good, high amp choices are not enough lower in cost to the Castle. The Castle offers over current protection, data logging, and a battery eliminator circuit for your receiver. You need to add water cooling to the Phoenix ESC with two tubes shrink wrapped to the copper pads on the sides. I've seen water cooled Castle Phoenix 200 amp controllers log over 300 amps without failure. Always get a programming card or PC attachment for programming.

Otherwise I run a 1/4" cable with a 3/16" prop shaft. I like the Octura couplers. Be sure to get the right size for your motor shaft. Battery choices are constantly changing. My last set was a Turnigy Nano-tec A SPEC G2 4S - 5000, but check Offshore Electrics for other battery choices. I was disappointed with the last Hyperion packs I bought. I've always used Hyperion chargers. They will charge 2 - 4S packs at 10 amps each. That means you will be ready to run another heat in less than an hour. Two chargers reduce this to 1/2 hour, but you need an adequate generator. My little Honda 1000 will run two chargers through a .Rivergate 45 amp power supply.

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
Thanks so much Rick! This is the boat I SHOULD HAVE finished long before I messed with 'glass boats! Its built kind of the Rick N Bob way..(.hope he's smiling up there!) WOF! I'll keep you posted....the FE stuff is BRAND NEW to me as far as boats of this size are concerned! Nice to hear from ya Rick! hmmmm don't know why this didn't go with yer post...!

MANY THANKS MIC! I didn't know you were playing with stuff this big, and I really appreciate your help! I think ive got your ph # around here somewhere! And I will contact you soon...do you mess with texting? If you don't mind I can send you various pics of the boat for you to look at so you can give opinions...which im VERY open to! Hope you don't mind me saying that between you and Lorhing, I feel a bit more confident about getting this right! I posted on offshore electrics forum yesterday at 6:30 AM, and not a single reply....I was very surprised!

Thanks Lohring! Feeling a little bit less anxious now about this deal! Would you mind if I PMd you a few pics of the center of the boat where all the stuff will go? As with Mic I will be wide open with any opinions you have to offer.....I guess one thing I should do is get dimensions of the various battery packs to see if and where they might fit in the boat......I know im a long way off for this, but I don't even know what prop to use as a start?? Again, MANY THANKS!! Bill

I had a Phil Thomas Executone as well. The heat got it in Colorado so Jerry Dunlap donated his old wood hull that came back to him after years. It was a fun project. Feel free to PM me with questions. I will try to get some pictures of my latest scale setup to show the wiring. It won't be until the end of the week.

Lohring Miller

Latest posts

Back