.098 Cable Strength????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onehot340

I have a small .12 rigger that I would like to but a brushless set up in from a super vee 27. My strut is configured so I can only use a .098 cable, the shaft does step up to 1/8 in. My question is will this cable hold up to a os .12 tr or the supervee 27 motor? I have a feeling it might be too small. Thanks guys!

Jamie

I have a small .12 rigger that I would like to but a brushless set up in from a super vee 27. My strut is configured so I can only use a .098 cable, the shaft does step up to 1/8 in. My question is will this cable hold up to a os .12 tr or the supervee 27 motor? I have a feeling it might be too small. Thanks guys!
Jamie
It's too small. The SV27 motors make a load of torque. The Puget Sound club has been running a P Spec hydro class for the last few races (sv27 powered rigger, mostly older N2 boats) with great success. We're running M645's as a good starting point and 47-48mm props are going to be pretty common. I'd just set it up for a .150 cable from the start and save your self some hassle.

My boat GPS'd at 53mph the first time out, so you can see the potential of the spec type power systems.

Jamie
It's too small. The SV27 motors make a load of torque. The Puget Sound club has been running a P Spec hydro class for the last few races (sv27 powered rigger, mostly older N2 boats) with great success. We're running M645's as a good starting point and 47-48mm props are going to be pretty common. I'd just set it up for a .150 cable from the start and save your self some hassle.

My boat GPS'd at 53mph the first time out, so you can see the potential of the spec type power systems.

Jamie
I haven't tested it, but I'm not sure how well the SV27 setup does on 2s. I know its great on 4s, but a little .12 rigger (depending on the size) might not accomidate that power (4s)..

You may want to go with an .05 size car brushless motor which actually suits the hull, and your existing cable will accomidate it..

They can be quite affordable and are capable of really waking that rigger up..

I do recommend a marine speed control though for being waterproof...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the answer to this one from experience, NO! With a mild .12 in a mono it twisted the cable like a pretzel, it was an ugly mess. After finally getting it out and replacing it with .125" cable, no more problems.

The word that Gary Prueese got from Ed Hughey was that the .150" cables are actually weaker than the .125" cables so he was swapping his out and going back to the smaller size.

Back