clear coat question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PPG D-800 or D880(hard to polish)clear is what I use for this purpose in all my boats(run 70% nitro)

Gill

I would strongly suggest something fuel proof!!! :lol:

Don't use polyurethane (minwax) woodfinish. It is fuel resistant but will eventually give it up and you'll have a mess to deal with. It also yellows badly so it will give light colors a amber tent.

2 part car paint is your best bet. I've been using PPG omini MAE which is a single stage acrylic enamel paint for years and Nitor doesn't seem to bother it. I believe they have a clear.

You would want to verify that your clear coat is compatable with the base coat. I would highly recommend you base coat and clear coat be fuel proof bacause your clear coat will only last so long without scratching.

I use PPG 2021 Urethane Clear with PPG DCX61 Hardener, it's going to require some PPG DT reducer depending on the temp where you shoot it. This stuff can be costly but a "quart combo" will do more than one boat.

Jerry Wyss said:
I use PPG 2021 Urethane Clear with PPG DCX61 Hardener, it's going to require some PPG DT reducer depending on the temp where you shoot it. This stuff can be costly but a "quart combo" will do more than one boat.
99859[/snapback]

Ditto, except I use PPG DXF11 catalyst (hardener). Dust free in 5 minutes, between coat time 5-10 minutes. :D

And it's lighter weight wise than any epoxy based clear. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
ken t. said:
What should i use to clearcoat my nitro boats? <_<
99833[/snapback]

Ditto to what Don said. Make sure it is compatibile to whatever paint you have on.

Another question to tag on the thread.. I just put spraye some ppg 2021 today.. How long do you allow this to "hard'n up" before installing equipment???

Mark.

OB Nut said:
Another question to tag on the thread..  I just put spraye some ppg 2021 today.. How long do you allow this to "hard'n up" before installing equipment???
Mark.

100257[/snapback]

Air Dry: Dust - 60 to 80 Minutes

Tack - 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 Hours

Tape - 12 Hours

Again, this would depend on the hardener that's used.....

Russell Bear said:
OB Nut said:
Another question to tag on the thread..  I just put spraye some ppg 2021 today.. How long do you allow this to "hard'n up" before installing equipment???
Mark.

100257[/snapback]

Air Dry: Dust - 60 to 80 Minutes

Tack - 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 Hours

Tape - 12 Hours

100279[/snapback]

Installing the hardware using the above figures and applying murphy's law means dont touch it for 24 hours!!!!

And dont let fuel near it for 5 days (IMHO)....

Most of the 2 pack auto paints keep on hardening for quite some time. Heat of course will accellerate this....

Russell Bear said:
As mentioned by Jerry, DCX61 Hardener w/ DT reducer was used. Sounds like this weekend is install time and maybe Monday/Tuesday is test dates.

Thanks...

Mark.

Howdy, I use the 5 day rule for "urethane"(as far as fuel proof goes),you can put that stuff on to where it looks like you really "muffed" it up,(too much paint) and it will "shrink" up to where it looked like a Pro did it. PPG 2001 Polyurethane is a different animal, fuel proof much earlier and if you put it on heavy, it's not goin' anywhere,,it's more of a light coat type clear with great "wetting" properties but it does show "scratches" much more than urethane. I've been experimenting with a "flattening" agent for the 2021 and you can get a "flat", "eggshell" ,"semigloss" or "satin" finish,,I think the additive is called "685"and no "DT" reducer is used. I gave my last boat a "eggshell" finish and in poor light on the pond it "Glows", it's really cool. The rebuild of the boat I'm holding is going to have as a base coat the "Base" starter color for yellow with the "eggshell" type clear finish, I'm confident This boat will be seen on the far turn :lol: :eek: B)

Back