Radar Gun

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy Benedict

I am going to get a radar gun for testing this year but I don't want to get something that's not going to do a good job. I know to stay away from the cheap Hot Wheels & Bushnell but I am not sure what will read our boats. What is everybody using? I know it doesn't replace a stopwatch for checking lap times but I want to check end of straight away speeds and speed coming off the corners.

Buddy

Jeee wizzzz is another semi affordable option available??? Not trying to insult just wondering if a economy version is available???

Thanks Kevin

We use a $80.00 Bushnell gun. You get a simple readout.No tenth's of a second readout. And yes the hull need to come in kinda straight on. Distance 25' Next season when we race. I want to do a test 2 guns going on the same boat. Testing out the Accuracy. I really liked Don's until I seen the price. The novelty wore off ,got sick of caring it around in my field box. You gotta be a really serious boater mess-in with 1 /10 of a mph . one guy drives a chevy another likes a BMW.

Chasing 10ths is where its at if you are into trying to set records. If not and you just want to see what changes that you make to the boat do as far as increase or decrease in speed get a Garmin E Trek GPS for around $100.00, Max speed and Average speed are recorded. You also need room in the boat to put it.

Last edited:
i too run the bushnell...it was 150.00 when i bought it,,,,mainly for tuning snowmobiles.... ive had a stalker in one hand and my bushnell in the other...shooting the same target,,,with guns about 8" apart.... both read indentical mph,,,,the stalker just had the fancy tenths,,,but same mph reading...the bushnell works just fine,,,the straighter you are with the target,,,the more accurate the reading....

alden

i too run the bushnell...it was 150.00 when i bought it,,,,mainly for tuning snowmobiles.... ive had a stalker in one hand and my bushnell in the other...shooting the same target,,,with guns about 8" apart.... both read indentical mph,,,,the stalker just had the fancy tenths,,,but same mph reading...the bushnell works just fine,,,the straighter you are with the target,,,the more accurate the reading....

alden
Sounds a bit dangerous :blink: with a full size snow machine coming at ya :p

Yes the top notch guns are pricey ..... and more accurate. Tenths are just as important when testing heat race stuff too and unfortunately that accuracy in tenths costs money. There's a big difference between say 74.1 and 74.9, something a cheaper gun will not show you. There are deals out there on the Stalkers, they do pop up on Ebay and Stalker sells refurbished units from time to time at substantial discounts over the cost of a new one. GPS units are not very accurate for what we do contrary to what people might lead you to believe. Do a little research on the technology and how they actually work for a better understanding of why. Can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say "well my GPS says I'm faster than that" after we've shot their boat with a Stalker. :D

the prospeed goes to tenths, came in either 2 or 3 digit..i guess i got the 3 digit

we leave it on a tripod..whoever needs a reading walks behind it as they come around

they offered a large digital display that I did not buy, which hooks up to it (i think the letters were like 1' high) so you can stay on the drivers stand and see ur readout from far...

its a cheapie..but it works

Last edited by a moderator:
the prospeed goes to tenths

we leave it on a tripod..whoever needs a reading walks behind it as they come around

they offered a large digital display that I did not buy, which hooks up to it (i think the letters were like 1' high) so you can stay on the drivers stand and see ur readout from far...

its a cheapie..but it works
Jeee wizzz I would mot dau 700 is cheap:)

GPS not accurate? I tested mine on a trip and it was pretty much right there. For $100.00 verses $1500.00 its close enough to test changes I make to a boat. I have my doubts about some radar being accurate especially in Georgia and Virginia!

GPS not accurate? I tested mine on a trip and it was pretty much right there. For $100.00 verses $1500.00 its close enough to test changes I make to a boat. I have my doubts about some radar being accurate especially in Georgia and Virginia!
The refresh rates are too slow for anything other than straight line testing with turning around done at slow speeds. Like I said, do the research on how they actually work and the technology level behind consumer grade units. They often will give inaccurate readings running ovals at speed. Yup, they test fine in a car or truck but try to do a 35 foot radius turn in your car @ 70mph ...... :blink:
Radar inaccurate in Georgia or Virginia? Hmmmm, either you're challenging speeds we are running or the state troopers busted you on the interstates. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regardless I'll base my preference on proven accuracy for a top notch radar gun over a Guess Possible Speed unit any day. B)

If you want the best go Stalker Pro-

http://www.stalkerra...ports_pro.shtml

Dual readout peak and constant, extremely accurate and reliable. Love mine!! :)

I Agree 100% - the Stalker Pro is the only way to go!
Don is right on here. I used to have a Stalker Pro and sold it for what I paid used on Ebay, about $700.00. As time went on we decided we really did have the need again. I researched everything and once again went with a Stalker Pro. I paid about $700.00 again on ebay and expect that when I go to sell I'll probably get my money back again. I doubt any other gun keeps that kind of resale value. As far as how well it works, I use the baseball mode and can pickup a boat anywhere I try and I'm talking RIGHT NOW, no waiting. If you try a Bushnell or even others the boat has to be almost on top of you to get a reading.
As far as tenths are concerned have someone walk by you at about 7 tenths of a mile an hour while you stand still. Do you ever wonder why another boat passes you on the outside ? It's all about testing and refinement of what you already consider a fast program. I think Don just gave away one of his speed secrets. If you can't afford one yourself consider going in with a couple buddies.

Man I love this sport!!

My Best to All,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Back