40 Coyote build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P THOMAS

Supporting Member
Vendor
Well here is a new old boat, never been setup to run, just a sealer coat on the hull and sponson.

Got this from Tom Foley few years ago.

i plan to use some modern hardware on it and run it for fun or maybe race it a few times.

It is a Coyote but has the sponson cut like a roadrunner, and has a RR cowl.

Milled out the maple blocks for the motor mount plate and plan to use a rubber mount.

DSC04641 (1280x721).jpg

original motor mount

DSC04621 (1280x721).jpg

old hardware

DSC04619 (1280x721).jpg

The sponsons look like they should be spaced 4 inch out on the left and three inch out on the right.

This make the stance about 12 inches, the oal length of the boat is 35 inches.

DSC04636 (1280x721).jpg

I am building a 90 Coyote for an OPS. The old boats had more style but that's probably why they don't go as fast, but then Andy's older hulls still win races.

Brad

Phil,

That is a great looking boat. Back in the 80's I built a few of these and ran them for many years. I still have one 60 size Coyote that I built back in 1985 that I left at my parents house after I moved out and got married. In 2003 after my mom died and my dad sold the house she had packed the boat in a box that was stored in the shed and I got the boat back and still have her to date. Thanks mom !!! Please keep up posted on your build good luck!!!

Jose

Well here is a new old boat, never been setup to run, just a sealer coat on the hull and sponson.

i plan to use some modern hardware on it and run it for fun or maybe race it a few times.

Milled out the maple blocks for the motor mount plate and plan to use a rubber mount.

attachicon.gif
DSC04641 (1280x721).jpg
cool looking engine mounting plate there

attachicon.gif
DSC04641 (1280x721).jpg
cool looking engine mounting plate there
I made that mount in around 1986 for a 7.5 KB i got for Cal Lange in trade for welding up a roll cage in his race car !The sponsons were modified when Bobby Caudill and Larry Beals came up with roadrunner . I shaped them to look like Road Runners and tipped them with walnut blocks . Great to see Phil building it up !

what engine do you plan on using?

I'm also working on a Coyote 80 project. It's an original brand-new kit I purchased back in 1986 from Don Pinckert. Will be a mix of new and old designs and components. Powered by an original Rossi R80RV Drum Valve engine. Using carbon fibre sponson tubing.

Pinckert_Coyote-80_BasicLayout_01.jpg

Pinckert_Coyote-80_BasicLayout_02.jpg

May2014_Pinckert_Coyote-80_FuelTankCompartment_13.jpg

May2014_Pinckert_Coyote-80_FuelTankCompartment_14.jpg

I ran a 40 Coyote through out the 1980's, in Wisconsin, Illinois & Michigan. It had a OS Max .46VRM, on 40% nitro, Irwin pipe, Octura 1462 prop, Sullivan fuel tanks, Marine Specialties strut and rudder, solid aluminum plate engine mount, flex drive. I will look for any set up sheets that I may have saved. It ran best with the front and rear sponsons set at the stock angles, and the strut raised just a very small amount from the stock starting position. I tested many homemade turn fins. I ended up moving it back (from the stock position) toward the CG and bracing it to the center section with a threaded rod. My "final" turn fin was much smaller than what you see on riggers today. It was fun to drive. I found that using an "early apex" style of driving worked best (with the turn fin that I had back then). I also made several different cowls for it. They only changed the looks.
It would be interesting to see how the 40 Coyote would do with a modern engine and turn fin.

Back