Flex cable slipping

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raydee

I recently bought a new flex cable and after I tighten the collet I get about half a run and the collet slips. I have heard to put solder on the cable but I am not sure it will slide into the collet after that. Any Idea's?

THE SOLDER IS USELY USED BEFORE YOU CUT THE FLEX CABLE. It SOUNDS LIKE YOU CUT OR BOUGHT A FLEX CABLE THAT IS SLIGHTLY TOO SHORT AND THERE'S NOT ENOUGH LENGTH FOR THE CABLE TO CLAMP DOWN ON IT TIGHT ENOUGH TO KEEP IT FROM SLIPPING. You'll probably have to replace it with one slightly longer. Also, pull the part from inside the collet and make sure the flex cable slides through it smoothly. If that parts teeth are too bent from over tightening replace it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you cut the flex shaft a tad short??? I had the same problem one time and it ended up being that I cut it too short and there wasnt enough flex cable in the collet to get a good grip.

Check and see if it looks short. :blink: :blink: Not sure why else it would slip like that??? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Mike

The cable is long enough for sure, I am going to replace the collet tomorrow and see if this one is just worn out......it is a few seasons old now anyway and taken from 2 other engines. I thought I heard someone say that adding a bit of solder to the end of the cable will help the collet grip better but I may be mistaken.

Yes, you need to solder the end of the cable, but just the end. If you solder too much and have soldered cable sticking out of your collet it'll break.

If you want to do it right use a 45% silver brazing solder like this:

http://www.handyharmancanada.com/TheBrazin.../Part%202-3.htm

If you want to keep spinning shafts use 6% silver solder or regular 60/40. :(

What motor and collet are you running?

The engine is a Mod Zen 260, i am not sure who makes the collet. I was also told tonight that the min reason guys are soldering the end of the cable was to stop the outside of the cable from seperating from the core of the cable. I did notice that this happened on one of my other cables but not the one that I ma having the problem with.

Don't solder the cable where it goes in the collet or the shaft will slip as it eats off the solder. The solder is just for the tip of the cable to keep it from unraveling as someone already said. Maybe your cable had spun before and now the diameter is reduced. Once that happens it's time for a new cable.

on most 260s, people are using aeromarine collets. once the inside piece of this three piece collet slips once, well, maybe twice. It is usuallly no good anymore and will need replaced. You can get the collet inserts from aeromarine. You have already got great advice on soldering shafts from above. Ken

Yes I am using a Aeromarine collet and I replaced the insert yesterday. I will try it again today and see if it slips or not. It was an old collet so my guess is that it just wore out, I have never had one slip on any of my boats in the past.

I just wanted to say I replaced the insert in my collet and all is now well!

Thanks. :D

Raydee said:
I just wanted to say I replaced the insert in my collet and all is now well!
Thanks. :D

113679[/snapback]

So, the moral of the story is when replacing the shaft it's a good idea to replace the collet insert? I'll have to remember this, I've got a couple aging shafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back