.21, the big three

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Blazer

Supporting Member
I am in the market for a .21 for my sport20.

I like the front exhaust (MAC and CMB) more than the Nova Rossi's rear exhaust. With the MAC not available, what are the comparisions between the CMB and the Nova Rossi? Both reliable? Good top and bottom end? Any help would be appreciated. The boat will be in the 4.5 to 5 lb range.

thanks, Brian

Well Brian, I know you are a big fan of the strait out exhaust, but Im set on Novarossi's. Your going to get other opinions saying they like the Mac, the CMB. Its personal preference. All I can say is that I dont believe that there is a soul out there that can refute that the Novarossi is a front runner. Im not saying that CMB's or Mac's arent, but Im sure there are people out there that have had many issues with theres. Ive ran NR's for 8 years, through 3 different engine models and they keep getting better. I recently ran a Mac 21 and I hate to say it but the Torque is just not there. This is just my opinion. A Geraghty Novarossi is the Ferarri of .21's in my opinion. I also have a problem with manufacturers selling engines that are experimental. Ill leave it at that.

Larry

I also have a problem with manufacturers selling engines that are experimental. Ill leave it at that.

Larry
DOH :blink:

Brian,

I think you just cocked the hammer and handed off a loaded gun.

IMO they are all superb motors.

:)

-Buck-

Here come's the "NO B.S." avatars :ph34r:

trouble is, your perdy much right Speed ;) ,,Jr

Last edited by a moderator:
DOH :blink:

Brian,

I think you just cocked the hammer and handed off a loaded gun.

IMO they are all superb motors.

:)

-Buck-

I just put my gun back in its holster. :D

Just my opinion fellas, leave it at that. Didnt say it to make anyone mad. :p

Larry

I've been wondering the same thing Brian. I've been building a Pay-N-Pak Dumas kit & wondering how to power it. I have a nice K/B, I think I'll start there. But what really intrigues me are air cooled car motors. Mr. Geraghty has said many times that we run our water cooled engines to cool. These things are screaming fast & run very hot. You can also get larger displacements IE .28. Is that too large for the B class? I thought Bob Kensill was running a larger CC outboard in the 3.5 class????? Just my .02.

quote name='JoeWScott' date='Jan 23 2006, 04:01 PM' post='131184']

I've been wondering the same thing Brian. I've been building a Pay-N-Pak Dumas kit & wondering how to power it. I have a nice K/B, I think I'll start there. But what really intrigues me are air cooled car motors. Mr. Geraghty has said many times that we run our water cooled engines to cool. These things are screaming fast & run very hot. You can also get larger displacements IE .28. Is that too large for the B class? I thought Bob Kensill was running a larger CC outboard in the 3.5 class????? Just my .02.

That would be illegal, in every sense The problem there is that you would have to pull apart the engine to catch the cheater. Not likely. Bad sportsmenship in my opinion. -Larry

trouble is, your perdy much right Speed ,,Jr

Glad someone else out there recognizes the issue.

Larry

Got to watch the timing on CMB. The last liner ,the int. was 133 deg.

They will have no troque. Right now I woild use the Nova Rossi.

Norris

Got to watch the timing on CMB. The last liner ,the int. was 133 deg.

They will have no troque. Right now I woild use the Nova Rossi.

Norris

The last nova rossi i had had the same numbers and torque is not a problem.. pull's a 1450 nicely and it is pitched up to the moon.........

chris

I have seen the mac and Nova in sport 21 hulls and its a toss up..... Different set-ups but very equal speeds. The Mac is nice because the pipe exits straight out the back.....

The Mac is rpm related while the Nova-rossi is more of a torque engine.....

Don't know anything about the CMB..... :)

Brian, what about the OS .21. This looks like an awesome engine, of course, haven't heard much about them. They're right up there in price w/ the rest of them though. OS has always treated me well. I know others feel differently, but I can't help thinking this would be a good motor.

Rich

Brian,

With the right pipe and set up underneath them, they all run very well.

I have ran the MAC 21 & Nova Rossi's are in my boats now, SAW boat included,

and both can go really fast. The pipes and set ups are the REAL DEAL with 21

motors period. I would like one of your boats when they come available. I think

I have a SMOKIN HOT PROPELLER for the BLAZER SPORT 21.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

OK OK

Guys....What motor dose not start as an "experiment"?

I think that is what they call progress.

I don't think the current incarnation of the Nova Rossi, Rossi, Picco, K&B, OS, CMB, Nelson, PIP, Kalistatov, or even the last run of the MAC's where just as they started on paper. Through R&D and consumer feed back things got better and changed. Most of the time for the better but some times for the worst. But they are all constantly changing.

Every manufacture has "IT'S THING" that makes it unique. Some are low torque with high revs while some are high torque with low revs, and some are no torque/no revs.

There is lot to be said about having to have a motor massaged by this guy or that guy because face it they all need work in some way or another to extract the most out of what it was built for. Right? While some work better out of the box than others we each have our own choice and opinion. I know mine is different for each displacement. .21=MAC, .67=MAC, .90=CMB EVO2K, 1.0=CMB EVO2K. The two MAC's are hard revving motors and the two big CMB's are brutally powerful.

Now Back to Brian's question, I would personally try to find a MAC .21 to run until the new A/A; MAC; CMDi motors come out. But hey that me.

I just want to see his Sport .21 run so I can decide on which Sport .21 I want to play with. :)

B)

-BUCK-

The things that I like about Novarossi's.

The piston and sleeves seem to hold their fit over sustained punishment better than any other engine I've ever used or worked on.

The machining quality and part fit is very good - even with replacement parts. It's rare to hear of a rod or piston failure on an NR, even when subjected to some serious rpm.

Things I don't like about Novarossi's.

The carb's. Aftermarket or substituted carb = more money. The rear bearing size means genuine is the only option = expensive. Reliance on 180 degree header. Cooling jackets that use tiny O-rings. M3.5 headscrews that aren't socket head???

Tim.

Proud owner of 2 NR 21L/S's, one of which is a 97 model that still hauls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when I started boating the OS RZM21 was a MEAN MACHINE. I think it still is. They haven't put out a high end marine between the new one and the RZM. One thing is for sure,.. You will be able to parts for that engine with a flick of the keyboard for a LONG time. I'm a boater on a buget so that means a lot.

I'm running the new OS TZ12's in my Bantam riggers. The TX is Definitley not just a refreshed TR engine. The piston and sleeve when new are incredibly tight just like the NR's I just bought a new P/L for it and it only cost $40 where the older set for the TR is $60.

I gues what I'm getting at is this,.. I think if the new OS 21 marine engine is at least on the same lap as the other hot new engines is probably a good buy for the long haul..

There's my grain of salt..

Brian, what about the OS .21. This looks like an awesome engine, of course, haven't heard much about them. They're right up there in price w/ the rest of them though. OS has always treated me well. I know others feel differently, but I can't help thinking this would be a good motor.

Rich

EXPERIMENT!!!!!! LOL

The MAC 21 came out in May 2001 and proceeded to place 1st, 2nd and 3rd two months later at the 2001 IMPBA Internats in 21 Hydro and Won US-1 in that class too. MAC 21 won SAW and Oval too!

Novarossi came out in 1987 and backed by the great driving ability of Ron Zaker Jr. managed to pull off a 4th place finish at the same race.

MAC 21 holds most of the NAMBA and IMPBA records.

With all due respect, the Novarossi is a great engine.

Just hang in there. The 2006 Experiment(s) will Blow Your Mind. B)

Hey andy,.. how about the .12 engine???? I like my TZ but that will go in a mono if I can get the a/a...

Can you PM me on possible delivery and estimated cost? I am looking for another 12 and wonder if I should wait...

Thanks

EXPERIMENT!!!!!! LOL

The MAC 21 came out in May 2001 and proceeded to place 1st, 2nd and 3rd two months later at the 2001 IMPBA Internats in 21 Hydro and Won US-1 in that class too. MAC 21 won SAW and Oval too!

Novarossi came out in 1987 and backed by the great driving ability of Ron Zaker Jr. managed to pull off a 4th place finish at the same race.

MAC 21 holds most of the NAMBA and IMPBA records.

With all due respect, the Novarossi is a great engine.

Just hang in there. The 2006 Experiment(s) will Blow Your Mind. B)

Back