zenoah

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAMBA860

ANYBODY KNOW OF A DIFFRENT COLLET THAN THE AEROMARINE I'M TIRED OF LOOSING PROP SHAFTS AND PROPS ITS GETTING REAL EXPENSIVE.

Aeromarine collets work very well. I've been using them for years. Shafts are usually lost because the shaft wasn't completely seated in the collet or the collet was put in backward. I've done both. A wheel collar on the shaft will keep it in the boat even if it comes out of the collet.

Lohring Miller

4-EST PERFORMANCE said:
ANYBODY KNOW OF A DIFFRENT COLLET THAN THE AEROMARINE I'M TIRED OF LOOSING PROP SHAFTS AND PROPS ITS GETTING REAL EXPENSIVE.
105930[/snapback]

It's not your collet. Aeromarine collets are all I will run. Take the part of the collet off that holds the insert, push your flex cable all the way in until it hits the collet base (the part tightened against the flywheel) & then pull it away just until it's not touching. Using a scribe or a small file put a small mark in the flexshaft right where it leaves the stuffing tube. Pull the cable back, put the collet back together & push the flexshaft back into the collet, you should be able to see the mark you made in the cable. If you can't then the shaft is hanging up in the collet. I always put a small 45 degree bevel on the end of the flexshaft after I flow some solder on the end to keep it from seperating & test fit every new cable to be sure it fits the collet properly. Also there should be just enough gap between the stuffing tube & the collet to allow you to fully unscrew the collet end & remove it. And one more thing NEVER EVER beat on the prop end of the flexshaft to force it into the collet. All that does is seperate the windings & damage the cable which will ultimately lead to failure & shaft/prop loss. :eek:

Aeromarine are the ones I use in all my boats but I've seen lot of them out of center so check this aligment with the shaft in place otherwise it will vibrate and loose your shaft.

Gill

Do like Don and Lohring said,and add one of these circle collars on your shaft if you have room. If you get bitten by a pond monster or turtle,you will still save your shaft and prop! Check out my pic below and it should answer your question and give you a idea of what we are talking about. Collars cost $1.50 for 2,and its alot better than dumping $100.00 in the pond for loseing a prop and shaft!!

Happy Boating,

Mike :p :p

collar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back