What size ESC ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Thomas

Looking for some info on a setup. Have a TP 4050 motor 2200 kV (3Y) rated at 175 max amps 29 volt max. Looking to put into a hydro. What esc would be best? Want fast and super reliable...

I've been using the Seaking 180 V2 with more caps with same motor on 6S in my rigger and no issues.SF 240 is the other one that serves well in the same class.Gill

What size hydro are you looking at and what voltage do you want to run??. What size packs can you fit in the boat?

I am thinking a sport 40 (nitro) size hull. I guess that would put me at P sport or Q. I would also stay around the 4S-2P LiPo range. I dont know what would be better? Having Mike cut a hull at 34" or having the room of a Q boat. I dont know where this motor will do best...

What size hydro are you looking at and what voltage do you want to run??. What size packs can you fit in the boat?
What voltage should this motor be at? I see Lohring posted his sport 40 is using 6S packs. 4S too small?

I havent run any TP motors yet but generally speaking 2200 kv makes is a solid 4S motor which most of us run in the "P" class for boats in the upper 20's to 34" range. As Gil pointed out, you can get away with higher voltage in a free running rigger. But a typical Sport 40 size hull is larger and require more wattage to scoot. Increasing voltage is a little easier on equipment than increasing amps so most running a FE version will run 6S or "Q" power. In the IMPBA, the Q Sport hydro class requires hulls in the 34-40 inch range. If you want to use the motor you have, a Sport 20 sized hull would probably be a better choice. Multiplying motor KV x 3.7V (nominal voltage) X number for cells in the pack will give you the "no load" RPM of a motor/battery combo. Generally speaking no load RPM's in the upper 20K to low 30K range are safe for heat racing, Despite what manufactures indicate as a maximum rpm, motor efficiency starts to go down as RPM's go very high increasing current draw and heat. So the higher the RPM you run a motor, the greater chance of baking your equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back