Thunder Tiger 3.5 OB Engine?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

Hey All

i just wanted to find out if anyone else here has used and/or raced a TT OB? i know TimD has with success, but i just wanted to see if anyone else would recoment this engine over a K&B?

TIA

Kris

Kris,

I've had some experience with the Thunder Tiger. It is a well made motor. However, I was unable to get it to perform as well as the K&B 3.5ss. It is also about 8 oz. heavier than a K&B 3.5ss.

For what that's worth,

Jerry Dunlap

If you want to run in the Mod Class you could run a tuned pipe and open the exhaust timing up to 180 degrees. With these simple mods this engine will perform very well.

Hey Jerry and Craig, thanks very much for the responses, greatly apprecated

if i get one, whihc i will decide in the next week or so...i will run it stock and maybe do some of the mods that Tim suggests in his article and run it in a stock class, then when i am more experience add a pipe :>

Kris

hey kris,

ive run both o.s. and tt outboards. Both had tuned pipes and custom props on the same tunnel hull. The tt motor has gears between the motor and the flex shaft where as other motors are direct drive. I noticed a big difference between the motors. There is way more power with the o.s. outboards and k&b( if you can find one). If your gonna race stock class the tt would be fine but for a little more money the O.s. is a heck of a motor.

eric

Hea guys

My buddy Squeaky has one and he took 2nd at the 21 shootout in mod tunnel with the thing hung on the back of a Villain. CrAzY.. Its not the fastet thing in the world (IMPBA stock leagal, no pipe) but it runs so darn nice that it just keep trucking. I tryed to talk him out of hanging that thing on his Villain and now im glad i dident.

Dont sell that little motor short, on the right hull it can move right along.

Grimracer

They have ton's of potential. I have won the Nationals with one as well as a lot of other trophies.

Kris, we do not run stock tunnel as a class here in Australia so anything goes.

As emac correctly said it is geared and this can be a big advantage if used correctly. The TT does not produce the same amount of torque as the other 2 motors mentioned and makes it's power up higher in the rev range. Unlike the K&B where the rod can be a limiting thing, the stock TT rod is VERY VERY good. If you fit the gear reduction set they by nature will multiply the amount of torque. Mine would swing a pitched up X642 all day long at big rev's.

One thing they do like is castor oil in the fuel - the crankshaft/ crankcase seal is pretty poor. I was using 15% castor!!!! Worked great and was proven on the bench with air prop's and a tacho.

If you buy one do not port the nickel liner - it will peel. Leave the liner stock and shim it up to raise the timings. ABC liners are available if you feel the need to grind on it.

Hope this helps.

I picked up a TT this summer, no complaints. It runs fine and quality is great. I noticed it is only recommended to use up to 15% nitro. If you run higher, I don't know what problems you may run into. A fellow boater told me the carbs are more difficult to tune than are the K&B or OS, but I did not have any problems. The price is right on them too!!

IF ANY ONE IS GETTING ONE OF THESE TO RUN FASTER THAN I WALK I'M GLAD FOR THEM. THESE ARE THE SLOWEST 3.5 ENGINES I'VE SEEN. :'(

Joe

We have run 40mph in IMPBA stock foum with this motor. That means that the hole in the hole out can not be changed on the motor.

The nice thing about this motor is how well it runs. We run them on 60% byron fuel and they love it. They are slower then the K+B and the OS but they make little noise and they run great.

Big Fun

Grim

Back