Sport 20 is done!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shnick

See it here at:

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10065

OS MAX RG-MX (yes a pull start) with a lightened flywheel

Hull - from scratch - 1/8" stringers decked with 1/32" ply

Prather 3/16" flex cable

Motor mount - homemade, rubber vibration isolators from Grainger

water pickup - homemade

Endless supply of tips from Glenn Quarles...

Tank and turn fin by Grimracer... [SIZE=14pt]BUY GRIMS' TANKS!! [/SIZE] (shameless plug)

Radio - Traxxas TQ

Thanks guys...

Shnick :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully this weekend I'll have it in the water, we'll see what it does...

I have no intention of mass production, since a couple of guys on this board have invested much more time and energy into designing, modifying, and marketing their kits. I don't want to take that away from them, they worked hard on their designs, they deserve the rewards...

I recommend getting a Sport 20 kit from Brian Blazer (Whiplash)

http://www.cincymbc.com/Pictures.htm

This is just something i whipped up and hopefully, i won't have many problems with it. I wanted to make a boat that was lightweight, basically a practice session while in between boats... after i run it, i'll most likely put it on the back burner (or Ebay) to concentrate on a new winter project, a Nemisis kit from Grim...

Shnick said:
Hopefully this weekend I'll have it in the water, we'll see what it does...
I have no intention of mass production, since a couple of guys on this board have invested much more time and energy into designing, modifying, and marketing their kits.  I don't want to take that away from them, they worked hard on their designs, they deserve the rewards...

I recommend getting a Sport 20 kit from Brian Blazer (Whiplash)

http://www.cincymbc.com/Pictures.htm

This is just something i whipped up and hopefully, i won't have many problems with it.  I wanted to make a boat that was lightweight, basically a practice session while in between boats... after i run it, i'll most likely put it on the back burner (or Ebay) to concentrate on a new winter project, a Nemisis kit from Grim...

70433[/snapback]

That 20 is the Sh%$ man...

Looks great... thanks for the plug.. its my pleasure to help see this happen.

Grim

anthony_marquart said:
Hoe does one get info on ordering a brian blazer sport 20 kit?
70453[/snapback]

I will be designing the sport20 kit soon. When it is done, I will let everyone know.

The gas version is a National Champion and a Record Holder (81mph two way, 84mph one way) This would be an awesome nitro boat, but nobody has tried it yet.

The sport40 version is extremely fast and stable...next year will be the breakout year

The sport20 will be up there with the best as well.

Brian

How do you get the tank out if it starts to leak or somethin'......... :blink:

70651[/snapback]

Not only that... How do you fill it up!? :blink: Anywho, its a sweet looking piece of aqua craft you got there. Cant wait to see out it runs! ;)

Phil B) :) :D

Don Ferrette said:
How do you get the tank out if it starts to leak or somethin'.........  :blink:
70651[/snapback]

First, i trust Grim and his work...

I doubt it will leak, but if it does happen, I can get it out by cutting the bottom of that cell out and patching it, theres enough surface to tape the patch onto... I supported it with RTV, hopefully it won't vibrate loose or create a weak spot where a leak can start...

Plus, I epoxied the living snot out of the cell it is in, if it does leak, all it will do is increase fuel capacity... Or I can just drive over the whole thing with my Jeep and start over... lol

When i built my Miss Circus Circus, i went a little too heavy on the epoxy, while water proofing, making the boat heavier (in my opinion) than it should have been.

On this boat, I went as light as i could without sacrificing structural integrity...

I removed all the excess weight i could (without getting ridiculous) from all the parts put into it... i got a micro servo for throttle, (HS56HB) weighing in at .37 oz) and the strongest steering servo (133 in.oz) i could find under 2 oz.

I tried several ideas I've had over the years, but never had the chance to put it past concept... This boat gave me the opportunity to put those ideas to use, and surprisingly, it didnt take me that long to put the whole thing together...

I guess we will all find out on saturday...

B) hey looks great shnick!, i was just wondering what brand rudder and strut you are using on it, also the item #'s of the parts for i'm putting a sport 21 together as well

from

norm

norm j said:
B) hey looks great shnick!, i was just wondering what brand rudder and strut you are using on it, also the item #'s of the parts  for i'm putting a sport 21 together as wellfrom

norm

70692[/snapback]

from rossisales.com:

Item #Rudder 105m

VM3 Flat Strut Flat Bottom .187 Cable

SPD125 Flex cable 24" X .187"

Item #MP1329 - Muffled Pipe 3.5CC

From Tower:

LXGLN5 - HS56HB Throttle servo

LXUZ89 - HS645 Steering servo

all the rest i had to make myself, like the teflon tube in the stuffing box and water pickup, i found some styrofoam on the side of the road...

hey good name idea - "roadkill" lol

Well, it went well, as soon as i launched it, it took right off... getting on plane was easy with the light weight...

i was running rich, (new engine) and it put out plenty power right off the bat...

the turn fin held it stable during the turns, and didnt hop in the corners... the waves were higher than normal, but it managed them well... but as soon as i slowed down for the turns, spray from the front sponsons splashed enough water inside the tub to drag it down...

and since i didnt drill drain holes in the tub bottom, i brought it in and found a bunch of water inside it... lol time to make a cowl...

Video coming soon...

Shnick,

Nice project,curious on what propeller you were running with?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Shnick said:
and since i didnt drill drain holes in the tub bottom, i brought it in and found a bunch of water inside it... lol  time to make a cowl...

Video coming soon...

71127[/snapback]

I had the same problem with my Sport 20 due to some bad launching. I drilled a 1/8th inch hole in the rear left had of each section of the hull. Now after a bad launch the boat will struggle for half a lap or so as the water drains and then runs well.

Brian

shoboat said:
Shnick,

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

71130[/snapback]

Octura 440 as a baseline, when I get to it, I'll get a more aggressive prop...

Shnick said:
shoboat said:
Shnick,

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

71130[/snapback]

Octura 440 as a baseline, when I get to it, I'll get a more aggressive prop...

71163[/snapback]

Correction... Octura 1445...

My bad...

Latest posts

Back