Speedmaster 20

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooycheese

Chat Moderator
Hi All,

I have a Speedmaster 20 and was wondering what is the best way to mount the radio box? I bought this boat used and want to rework it the best ways possible. I have never worked on a mono before so this is my first time, I have messed with the sv27's for my in-laws :) . I will be posting more questions regarding this boat and really appreciate everyone help.

Thank You,

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Glue some wood to the stringers/rails in front and behind the box. The bow must fit snug. Then put some picture hanging hooks in the stringers/rails so you can cross over some #64 rubber bands. This method lets you pull the box out with minimal effort.

Thanks Preston,

I have seen that just never really looked to see what was actually done. Another quick question, How far forward should the fuel tank be mounted and by what means should it be mounted?

Thank You,

Paul

I had David Preusse set mine up with saddle tanks on either side of the engine. Later I switched it to one tank on the left side this tank was built by Walt Barney out of stainless and works very good in countering the prop walk on the SAW. Give Walt a call he is down in FL now being a snowbird.

Thanks Preston,
I have seen that just never really looked to see what was actually done. Another quick question, How far forward should the fuel tank be mounted and by what means should it be mounted?

Thank You,

Paul

Put the tank up front and the engine has to move waaay forward. I set one up and a 10 year old spanked eight other boats at our district race.

Once you move the engine forward there is not much room. I shove a 8 ounce tank in with some pool noodle foam aroound it so it fits tight.

Put the tank up front and the engine has to move waaay forward. I set one up and a 10 year old spanked eight other boats at our district race.
Once you move the engine forward there is not much room. I shove a 8 ounce tank in with some pool noodle foam aroound it so it fits tight.

I'm with you Preston. Of the 3 Speedmaster 20s I have the one with the motor set far forward runs best.

with my set up i have the mac 21 in it and the motor is as far forward as possible with a 6 os tank right in front of it and a one ounce hopper tank to the right of the motor. This set up has lead me with consisten low 50's.

Paul,

ABC 40 x 52/3 or Octura X-437/3 work quite well on that boat.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Slip the tank all the way forward, slip the Mac 21 right behind it. I even carved a bit of the inside lip out so I cold prime the carb. Mount the radio box lie the others have said except for one thing I did. To keep the pipe as low over the transom as possible, I had to get the box down lower so I cut out a wedge out of the fibrglass and changed the angle of the top of the radio box so it was parall with the pipe. Nice fit and no drag.

Mark

Back