Rudder for my Dumas Miller American 1/8 scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyual767

It was recommended to me to use the 40 size. I was wondering what others are using on their 1/8 scale boats. I'm planning on using Speedmaster stuff and will be buying the rudder soon even though I haven't even started building the boat :D . Thanks.

Hey Danny, My Phil Thomas 82U55 Hull runs a Speedmaster 102-60 rudder assembly. The instructions call for a 102-45 or a 102-60 assembly. I couldn't tell any difference between the two. Total width of the bracket is 1-1/4". Hope this helps.

dannyual767 said:
It was recommended to me to use the 40 size.  I was wondering what others are using on their 1/8 scale boats.  I'm planning on using Speedmaster stuff and will be buying the rudder soon even though I haven't even started building the boat  :D .  Thanks.
76660[/snapback]

Danny-

You can buy the 40 rudder assembly like I suggested & also get just the 60 blade if you want to try both. The blades are interchangeable in the pivot block. :D

dannyual767 said:
Okay, so the smaller 40 size blades give enough turn authority.  Thanks Don and tracerbob.
76786[/snapback]

A little tip for ya Danny- get the turn fin & CG right & you don't need the big rudder blade hangin' off the tail. :D

posted by Don,

A little tip for ya Danny- get the turn fin & CG right & you don't need the big rudder blade hangin' off the tail.
Now this makes good sense! If other things are right, you don't need extra drag and weight from monster sized components. I like it.

Once I get started on construction (I've got to finish my Dumas SK Daddle and Lil Rascal first) I'm sure that I'll have plenty more questions to get the setup as close as possible before I even get it wet.

Back