ROSSI PIRANHA 3.5 INBOARD

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Best one out there” is a little on the broad side. Maybe if you state the application…you’ll get more feedback

I’m still waiting on someone to buy me one, so I can test it :)

I’ve seen the RC car variant of this motor run, and runs well relative to others in it’s class….that’s about all I can offer.

There’s a gentlemen in here that’s playing with a “red case” Rossi outboard (possibly a Maranello)………I’d be extremely interested to know how that motor is running, and what crankshaft he’s using in it.

Maybe someone can explain the differences between the black cases and the red case motors? and the older style R21 motors

I've got the Niagara version in my sons Speedmaster 21. There really isn't much of a difference between that and the Pirahna. I love the engine myself. It does take a while for it to break in though which might be a good thing, at least 1 gallon before it really shows it's potential. I started with smaller props and as it broke in, it seemed to like larger ones up to the Prather 220 that it has on it now.

Is it the best? I really don't know. Ask a MAC owner and He'll tell you that his engine is the best that He's ever run. Nova Rossi the same. It's a matter of opinion. I didn't care for the header and pipe though. The header went too wide to easily fit in the boat so I used a Nova Rossi header but it's a tight fit around the exhaust flange and an Irwin quiet pipe.

Jim Irwin has been testing the orange-red cased version on an OB and has been having good results with it.

Best? Its a matter of personal opinion and difficult to say...but...

I have a friend who had the Piranha and Maranello in both direct drive and gear box, and he comment that he liked NR 21 better cause he felt the NR have a little bit better power. During race, this guy's boat could not catch up our CMB 21 LS and CMB Valvola (CMB version of MAC21) at straight even we race the same hull. Over here the Rossis are a rareity because local support on parts is non-existance, so in our case it is not "the best" engine here....

My 0.002 cent....

That picture was taken two years ago in Japan when I was at a competition there. Yep that was me in front of some helicopters for that competition.

Back