Powering a 3 foot Wood Hydroplane

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooter61

I have a 3 foot wooden Hydroplane, that weighs in at 9.4 pounds. The bow sponsons come back 1' 3" and then drops back inward, and then just a step in the hull, to a flat bottom, the step is 6", and it is an Inboard design, How should I go about powering this? Pictures are also available apon request just send me an E-mail.

View attachment 2996

Last edited by a moderator:
Post pictures here so everyone can see (at the bottom of the page you can insert pics) Your boat is very heavy for a 3' long boat. A gas engine may be better. Is the engine rails 5" appart?

Brian

From the length, I would install a .45 size motor. You may even try a weed eater motor in it since it is so heavy. Pitch the plastic prop. It may be in your best interest to find get a different boat.

Brian

Id go for a .81, its a big boat and I think it can handle the power. If you want a zen gas motor http://www.aeromarinerc.com has a few for very reasonable costs. I have a 30 inch hull and they say Ican run a .45 so you can step it up a bit more with a 36inch.

Phil :eek: ;) :D

3 footer?

May be a tight squeeze…..but might I suggest one of these?

should provide for adequate power ;)

70_3.jpg

Nothin-says-Lovin-Likea-Tree-fitty

Is that your big block Kev?? I am with you on the venerable 350's. That is by far the best motor ever thought of. I did my turn as a MerCruiser Tech for a few years and that is where I found my love for the Bow Ties. Nothing works easyer or more dependable then a good ol' GM product. :) Just a 305 TBI in my boat now though <_<

Adam

or you can put a seat inside the boat a pedal it like a bicycle :lol: ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!

HAHA 454 Mag huh?? well we had one in our 242 Formula and it did 65 with out a step hull, but I think I would be a little lacking in the boyancy

HAHA 454 Mag huh?? well we had one in our 242 Formula and it did 65 with out a step hull, but I think I would be a little lacking in the boyancy
You think that a rat motor would sink a 3 foot hydro?? NAAAAHHHH

:p

That one is the picture is a 454.....it's pretty stout.

More than enough to power your average put-put boat

I still like the 350 small block best though ....more options are available for it, also cams, blowers, and intake manifolds are easier to find for the 350

Latest posts

Back