measuring AOA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigged

What method are you guys using for finding the AOA on your front sponsons? Pics?

What method are you guys using for finding the AOA on your front sponsons? Pics?
I like to use a digital angle finder. Simply turn the boat over, "zero" the gauge on the center of the tub (the part that runs parallel to the water surface) and then place it on the riding surface of the sponson. Make sure you check the rear part of the sponson as the curve will show a different AOA as you move forward.

Here is a link to the digital gauge I use.... http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/index.html

Hope this helps,

Glenn

Rod Geraghty gave me an Angle of Attack chart that only requires you to us a 3/16" drill bit. :eek: You just lay the bit under the sponson bottom and measure the distance from the rear end of the sponson. For example, by placing the bit 2" in front of the rear end of the sponson, gives you 5* and 21 minutes of AOA. Move the bit further forward to 3" and you'll get 3* 35 minutes of angle. etc. The chart is 1/8" increments. I'll scan/PM you a copy of it if you want. Easy to use & no $$$. Again, thanks Rod - you're the MAN! ;)

OOPs CORRECTION! The chart WONT work for curved sponson bottoms :lol: - just straight surfaces :huh: - but will work fine for the .12 rigger I have B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rod Geraghty gave me an Angle of Attack chart that only requires you to us a 3/16" drill bit. :eek: You just lay the bit under the sponson bottom and measure the distance from the rear end of the sponson. For example, by placing the bit 2" in front of the rear end of the sponson, gives you 5* and 21 minutes of AOA. Move the bit further forward to 3" and you'll get 3* 35 minutes of angle. etc. The chart is 1/8" increments. I'll scan/PM you a copy of it if you want. Easy to use & no $$$. Again, thanks Rod - you're the MAN! ;)

OOPs CORRECTION! The chart WONT work for curved sponson bottoms :lol: - just straight surfaces :huh: - but will work fine for the .12 rigger I have B)

So old horses, can always help, tired old airmen... :lol:

my sponsons are straight on the bottom....definetely send a copy over if ya dont mind.

my sponsons are straight on the bottom....definetely send a copy over if ya dont mind.
Rigged: Pm me your email address; The IW PM service doesnt seem to have the ability to insert a file.

todd

I like to use a digital angle finder. Simply turn the boat over, "zero" the gauge on the center of the tub (the part that runs parallel to the water surface) and then place it on the riding surface of the sponson. Make sure you check the rear part of the sponson as the curve will show a different AOA as you move forward.

Here is a link to the digital gauge I use.... http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/index.html

Hope this helps,

Glenn
I got the guage in the link Glenn put here Man you talk about taking all the guess work out of setting the sponson angles. Thanks Glenn BEST 39.00 i ever spent.

Hope this helps,

Glenn
I got the guage in the link Glenn put here Man you talk about taking all the guess work out of setting the sponson angles. Thanks Glenn BEST 39.00 i ever spent.
Tom, yeah it is a pretty handy little gizmo! Great for checking all kinds of things.

Glenn

Latest posts

Back