let's review

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lay26

Supporting Member
hey guys, i did my own test and this is what i found. let me first say that i'm not here to say one product is better than the other, but just to give my findings. i have in my possession a mac 45 2004 and a cmb 2004 45 motors. after stinking up the joint at the namba nats in sport 40 i decided to go back to the mac 45 motor in my sport 40. i set up the motor and pipe(parabolic) and ran it sunday. i found that the mac didn't like the 1455/3 it ran with it but it wasn't that fast. i then put on a 447/3 and the motor came to life speeds increased from 49.1 with the pipe at 9 3/4 to 52.3mph (best speed) with the pipe at 9 1/4 i didn't change anything i just shortened the pipe i spent about 4 hrs on this boat that day and it was pretty hot. then today i went out with the boat set up with my cmb 45 motor on the first run it came back at 55.3mph! and the needle wasn't even set( it was a bit rich) i used a ops 60 pipe @10 1/2 and a 450/2 prop. i wanted to test more but i lost the shaft. this is on a AC sport 40 II all i can say is what a difference these two motors make on the same boat. at the namba nats alot of the guys running this class ran mac motors. terry Allen was blazing fast with is phil thomas/mac combo when i saw this boat run i said that i must be missing somthing with the mac 45 motor but i can't seem to put my finger on it right now, i know part of it is the hull weight. the AC boat is a bit heavy so i know that a torque motors might be best. what am i missing? i'm starting to think that i should save the mac motor for my next 45 rigger! if you have any thoughts post them but i hope this helps someone with a AC boat. it's so true that you do have to find what works for you.

The best people to answer this are at the IMPBA Internat's this week. Bob Finn runs an AC Sport 40 and I think that he replaced the K-45 with a CMB or MAC.

I've got very few runs on my Sport 40 so I haven't done much testing with anything yet. I started with an Octura X-646/3 but have a 1455 hanging on it but haven't tried it yet. I saw that Phil was using that prop on his so I had to get one also to try.

I'm using the MAC/AB pipe setup myself and I'll be interested in your findings.

ron are you runnig a ac boat? i found that the mac didn't run that well with the1455/3 as i said it did run it was pretty smooth but the top speed for me wasn't great. i think the ticket would be to pitch up a 447/3 it would take some time to find the best pitch that gets you over 60mph. i ran the same prop stock and the top speed was 52 pipe was at 9 1/2. i think i'll stick with the cmb 45/ops 60 pipe combo. and i'll work on it.

No, I was close to getting one but got one of Phil's boats instead. I have some other props to test and may see what Mark Sholund has for it. I do have at least 3 others to try out right now. I was thinking that the 1455 might be too much for the MAC, that's why I started out with the X-646/3 for break-in. That's the prop that CMDi (Andy) and Phil both told me to try at first.

lay26, first let me start by saying both motors are great!! last season I ran a MAC in a Phil Thomas and finnished 3rd in High Points for the season. My father just got a new AC sport 40 and we tested with both CMB and MAC, the boat went to the Nats with the MAC in it!! I think he placed 6th, not bad at all considering the competition and the fact that it was the boats first race. the MAC is an awesome sport 40 motor. we run a X447/3 with Parabolic pipe set at 9 3/4". super reliable and plenty fast for sport 40. dont give up on the MAC! Good Luck! MARK WALTER Dist.3

Lay26 said:
...... with the pipe at 9 3/4 to 52.3mph (best speed) with the pipe at 9 1/4 i didn't change anything i just shortened the pipe i spent about 4 hrs on this boat that day and it was pretty hot...... then today i went out with the boat set up with my cmb 45 motor on the first run it came back at 55.3mph!

108398[/snapback]

If you didn't run the MAC motor today then the point is somewhat moot. Every day is different & accurate comparision testing needs to happen in the same conditions, i.e. the same day, same water, you get the idea. Both are good motors but I'd have bet the MAC would have still been faster. Try to have both motors set up to allow quick switching between them so you can try it this way. B)

Ron Olson said:
that's why I started out with the X-646/3 for break-in. That's the prop that CMDi (Andy) and Phil both told me to try at first.
108452[/snapback]

I ran a cupped X646/3 on my last SuperSport45, MAC 45, parabolic pipe & that was my favorite prop for that combo. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.....I always ran my Mac in the AC hull (old style) with a pitched up X-646/3, pipe at around 9 3/4" and it radared at 55-57 mph consistently. The macs like to scream and the 646/3 allows that while getting on and off the throttle for the starts. Its a pure drivers combination that allows for a goof-proof set-up. Theres nothing like a Mac screaming on the top end when they are right.......

"Theres nothing like a Mac screaming on the top end when they are right......." i know what you mean Rob! i was very impressed with terry allens' Phil thomas mac powered sport 40 he just dominated at the namba nats. i mean that boat was flying!!!!! even AL waters piegon doo mac powered was was very fast! i'm not going to give up on the mac motor but i might just find a lighter hull for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mac or the CMB will work very well in the sport hydro.

We just got back from the IMPBA Internats.

Steve Petersen took first in heat racing with the red head Cmb rs using a Cooper pipe. 2 1st, 2 2nd, and a third. Steve ran the ovals and straight time trials with a cmd pipe he was third in the oval and first in the straight.

I had the Mac 45 and used the cmd 45 muffled pipe. I took second in heat racing with 3 first and 1 2nd and a dnf. I had first in oval and 2nd in straight time trials. Steve was able to loosen up his boat to get by me into first. I think he did 59 mph 3.764 and I did 58mph 3.814. 3.75 is 60mph.

Latest posts

Back