KlassKote paint thinner substitute?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

I have been using the HobbyPoxy thinner for the KlassKote paint but I finally used up my stock. I think shipping paint thinner is expensive. Is there any good substitute I can buy say at Walmart?

I use lacquer thinner to clean up the spray equipment etc but I noticed lacquer thinner dot NOT reduce epoxy paints very well.

Thanks,

kez

Last edited by a moderator:
klass kote guy told me,and i have used,laquer thinner from true value hardware.it works ok.it seems to dry slower,but it could be me,or different weather,etc.i use the cheapest stuff i can get to clean the gun

I have used lacguer thinner as well on the advise from Klasskote because i did not want to buy anymore reducer and it seemed to work fine for me.They said good quality would be best but i just got whatever i could find locally and it was fine.

Thanks Steve and Terry for your replies. I have tried the lacquer from Walmart but it did not work. The paint tends to settle out in grits to the bottom. I use it to clean out guns.

I will try the one from True Value. Slow drying might not be a bad thing for me. It will probably flow out a little better and less orange peel.

Kez, you can use the cheap thinner from Wally world to clean the gun. If you insist on using lac thinner to paint with buy Duplicolor from an Auto parts store. If it was me, buy the reducer from Klass Kote. You only get one shot on a good paint job. B)

If you had left over Hobbypoxy thinner, I would assume you also had left over Hobbypoxy or Superpoxy paints. I have found laq thinner hates those old stock paints. Actual, REAL Klasskote thinner shipped from Klasskote works with those old stock paints. I have not had any experience with ULTRAPOXY. In my experience, laq thinner wasn't even good enough to clean the gun. Rudy

Hi Ray,

The last time I mail ordered paint thinner, I have to pay various fees. It turned out the shipping cost was almost as much as the thinner. I agree with you that I only get one shot on a good paint job. I want to see if there are other acceptable alternatives first.

Hi Rudy,

I have exactly the same experience you had with lacquer thinner on Hobbypoxy and Superpoxy. Ordinary lacquer thinner would make the Hobbypoxy settle out to the bottom kind of like lumps of paint. I only used Ultrapocy once and it is not compatible with Superpoxy. I sprayed Ultrapoxy without thinning.

The lacquer thinner did an adequate job of cleaning the gun. That is because it makes the paint settle in lumps rather than thinning.it. I can then wipe the parts in a rag.

kez

Petit was the manufacturer of Hobbypoxy when it was available. Petit makes paint for painting large boats and is available at most marine supply stores. I have been using their hardener with my remaning Hobbypoxy paints and it works very well. I have just used up the last of my Hobbypoxy thinner and will be going to the marine store to see what they have in the way of thinners. Probably can find there product listing on line but I prefer going to the store direct. Always seem to get the best advice there.

Thanks Steve and Terry for your replies. I have tried the lacquer from Walmart but it did not work. The paint tends to settle out in grits to the bottom. I use it to clean out guns.

I will try the one from True Value. Slow drying might not be a bad thing for me. It will probably flow out a little better and less orange peel.
Kez, I have also used laq. thinner from local hdw. store, brand name(Sunnyside) and works great with Klass

Kez, I used the laq. thinner from local hdw. store, brand name (Sunnyside), and worked fine with Klasskote. I thin 100%

and flows out great.

Kez, I have also used laq. thinner from local hdw. store, brand name(Sunnyside) and works great with Klass

Kez, I used the laq. thinner from local hdw. store, brand name (Sunnyside), and worked fine with Klasskote. I thin 100%

and flows out great.
I have been using Klean-Strip Lacquer (Home Depot) thinner with Class-Coat also use it for clean up,, works for me

Walt Barney

Thanks all for your replies.

Jerry, I have looked for Petit paint for marine use and none of their paints is epoxy based.

Mark, Walt, I got the thinner from Ace hardware and it seemed to work fine.

But I now have another problem. I think I mixed too much hardener (part B) in my last batch of paint. While I am happy with how the finish turned out, it is not fully cured after 2 days. I left the boat in its stand today and the paint picked up the marks from the pipe insulation. I hate to sand it all off and start over. Would higher temperature help the paint cure hard? Should I try leaving the boat in the attic (really hot) for a day?

kez

Back