Flex Shaft Storage

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

Hey All,

I just wanted to clarify something...some guys on here say that you should store your flex shaft in a striaght position (ie remove them from the lower unit at the end of the day so they dont form rust) but do you store them dry, or in some sort of tube/container full of ATF and engine oil?

I was told by someone that you should soak your brand new flex shafts in warm/hot oil for a few mins then turen the heat off and let them soak in it over night before you use them, but it is too late to do this after it has been used. does this sound right?

TIA

Kris

ANYONE?????

I would think as you can keep them in the lowers, or the manf. would ship them OUTSIDE OF the lower for your assy. But manf ships it prebuilt. SO i dont think streight, curved, bent matters.

Now you do want to oil them up good, new, used, or when ever used, need to keep the rust from forming.

I am one to over oil it.

Just yesterday I tried a caliper lube, its clear and like in a cheese whiz container, its for high heat, and real sticky, So i did that and some 20 wt oil and just mixed and soaked and wiped it all on, worked it in the tube, and i ran for about 2 hours yesterday and tookwent to reoil, and it seemed to of still been greasy inside.

didnt take much to come out the lower holes.

Just something i was looking to test out with.

I remove the powerhead and flex shaft every time after a day at the pond. After removing the backplate (PTO), I dry the engine with WD-40 and oil it with automatic transmission fluid. I clean and grease the flex shaft with Quicksilver 2-4-C grease with Teflon and reassemble everything. Flex shafts often last several seasons and engine bearings can last years. The most important thing is to keep all moisture out of the shaft and bearings. Shafts do not develop a set from being bent. However, a tiny amount of rust will lead to shaft breakage and bearing failure..

Lohring Miller

Kris, you're going to find hundreds of ways to maintain your flex cables, everybody has their way to do it. The Doctor does have some good ways to do it, He's been around for a while so whatever He says, I listen.

I keep mine coated with Hughey grease once I've used them, when they are new, I soak mine in a 50/50 mix of STP and 20W50 racing oil. Flex them around in the mix to get it between the strands.

YEAH, THE GOOD THING IS THAT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT IDEA ABOUT REMOVING THE CABLE. I ALWAYS AFTER A DAY of play or racing take them out and dry them by wiping them off and giving them a couple slaps onto a dry paper towel. I than wrap them in paper towels until I get home. Then I grease them and store them in a zip lock bag. I've had great success w/this and can't remember the last time I've replaced a cable! 8)

If you ever see people who leave there cables in their motors, or there stuffing tube of an inboard, take them out and spray WD-40 in them, slam them on a paper towel and you'll see a ton of rust. That's the kiss of death. It means the center core is rusting inside and will soon break.

:D

Plastic cigar tubes !!! put in your fav mix and put the cap on til you go to the water again . Plus the above !!

OK thanks for the input guys..i soaed my new shaft in some warm ATF with some 20W50 in it (very little though) then let it sit in the mix overnight...

Hopefully this will help, and i will definately be taking the shaft out each night after running..so if i clean everything and re lube it all before assembling the motor and lower again...it should be ok?

GT if you read this, i need to know if you have any flex shafts for my OB that you can sell me? I am on my last (already broken 2)

Thanks

Kris

Hi Kris,

Yeah I think I've still got a dozen or so left. ;D You must be making too much power to be breaking those cables. :D LOL

Have you started your villian yet?

GT

Hey GT, How many are you in the position to sell, and what sort of a deal can you give me on a couple? ;)

Nope not yet...i have to get some Epoxy and CA before i could build it...should be starting tomorrow night 8)

Kris

Latest posts

Back