Electric motor kv / volt / rpm / esc amp calculation

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

Can someone please explain all this? I want to understand the motor spec / esc spec / rpm result / all relative to prop size, etc.

Thanks

Maybe you should start by telling the group what you plan to do. Looking at your post, I see you joined IW in 2003 and have 3,700 posts. Hard to believe you are completely unaware of basic FE specifications.
JD

I have been running nitro for a long time. I stopped running boats for a few years. Moved a couple times and now getting back into it. I decided to go to electric as the motors and batteries are much better now. Against all better judgment I bought a RTR boat. UL-19. Actually like the boat. However something let go on the second run. Details on another thread. Soooo. I’m looking into esc / motor / battery specs and I’m trying to understand how to spec a replacement motor esc combo for the hull.
Ive done a lot of design work for a few of the well know boat suppliers, I won’t go into the details. Jerry I’ve been watching your builds for a long time.
I know nothing about how to pair up an FE boat rig. What I’m looking for is what the specs of each component mean to the power package. A simple excel sht to cover it would be great.

Last edited:
Here's what could work to upgrade the UL-19
1. Dynamite 2000 Kv motor
2. A 150 Amp ESC - Lots of choices.
3. A 4S 5000 50C or more battery, again lots of choices - I'm using Graphine Panther 5000 75C in my 1/10 scales.
4. An ABC 1715 would be a good starting prop. - Maybe others will have recommendations.
These things have worked for me on a similar size/power hydros.
Guys running P Limited Hydro could provide info on what works for them.
Offshore Electric is an excellent place to obtain FE components.
Have a Blessed Thanksgiving,
JD

I think I’ve come to a basic understanding. The batteries are on full blast all the time. Speed control regulates power to the motor. If not at full throttle the power / heat builds in the speed control. If too much prop the power / heat can build in both esc and motor. This makes sense to me. I’m not restricted by race rules since just running for fun. Gonna get a larger motor and esc. Lower kv motor so I can run these props. If I want to push it I can prop up a little and watch temps closely.
Rather spend time trimming the boat to run properly and keep it on the water at speed.

At least one and maybe two articles on electrics will be in the next NAMBA Propwash. The recommendation above for the RC Info site is great for a really deep dive into electric power plants.

Lohring Miller

Hi:
... What I’m looking for is what the specs of each component mean to the power package. A simple excel sht to cover it would be great.
I wish that EXCEL page existed !!! ... but the reality is that each thing has several solutions and that the boat (as a whole thing) is the sum of small modifications, trials, trial-and-error ... .and what is more important: How you feel when you navigate with it.
My advice ?, my experience? ... lots of reading on varied specs and many, many, many tests

Back