• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

ED HUGHEY LEGAL SPORT 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some in NAMBA would say that the step at the transom is a riding surface and is not allowed per Section 20A-3.

Mike

Legal or not it is a very nice looking hull and if the length is legal, the hull has not been painted yet, that step wouldnt be a problem to take care of to make it legal to race.....Just my two cents..

Hello this is Richard. seller of the boat.

If you know Eds old round nose hydros the bottom is dead flat. This is not a riding pad or rear sponson pads of anykind.

What you see it a tunnel in the rear of the boat. This was there to help provide more clean water to the prop especially in the turns.

As the previous response said. if you need the fill in the prop tunnel, it would not be a problem.

I think it would make a really super boat in Namba Sport 40 II. Also a great one of a kind race boat. If you do set some new records or create a killer oval boat. You won't see others purchasing the same boat to race against you.

Best wishes and good luck in your bidding.

Richard

Hello this is Richard. seller of the boat.
If you know Eds old round nose hydros the bottom is dead flat. This is not a riding pad or rear sponson pads of anykind.

What you see it a tunnel in the rear of the boat. This was there to help provide more clean water to the prop especially in the turns.

As the previous response said. if you need the fill in the prop tunnel, it would not be a problem.

I think it would make a really super boat in Namba Sport 40 II. Also a great one of a kind race boat. If you do set some new records or create a killer oval boat. You won't see others purchasing the same boat to race against you.

Best wishes and good luck in your bidding.

Richard
Richard:

The tunnel in the rear is for a special runner that was on the boat. The rudder was horseshoe shaped and was hidden in that tunnel. The boat essentially has rear sponsons, so it would not be legal for Sport 40.

What does the B stand for after Richard. I think that I know, since you lived down the street from me several years. Do you still live in Colorado?

Marty Davis

Marty.. Yes, this is your old race buddy.

You are right on Eds Foam Boat. I still have both my 20 and 40 hughey foam boats and both have the little sponsons on the rear bottom. But the wood boat was flat on the back with only the tunnel.

At least this is the way the engineer built this boat. He did modify Eds original plans to make the boat legal.

This boat is dead flat with the tunnel . I sold it on ebay. I hope he runs it in Sport II Namba. I would love to see this boat win again.

Glad to see you are still racing and involved in modeling. You have been a unselfish provider to the model boating racing community for many years.

Best Wishes

Richard Beals

Marty.. Yes, this is your old race buddy.
You are right on Eds Foam Boat. I still have both my 20 and 40 hughey foam boats and both have the little sponsons on the rear bottom. But the wood boat was flat on the back with only the tunnel.

At least this is the way the engineer built this boat. He did modify Eds original plans to make the boat legal.

This boat is dead flat with the tunnel . I sold it on ebay. I hope he runs it in Sport II Namba. I would love to see this boat win again.

Glad to see you are still racing and involved in modeling. You have been a unselfish provider to the model boating racing community for many years.

Best Wishes

Richard Beals

Richard:

Most people don't know that Ed Hughey was THE MAN during the early days of RC Model Boat Racing. He was my Mentor as I know that he was also yours. His wealth of knowledge drove the hobby in the early years. He was one of the first to produce a true model boat kit with all the necessary hardware. During the 60's and early 70's his boats were the ones to beat. I can say without hesitation, that without the help of Ed Hughey, I would not have sticked to the hobby. He gave us technical help and we all set goals to beat him. If and when you were able to beat Ed on the race course, you had arrived. Took MANY years to accomplish this for most.

Glad to see that you are still involved. I remember MANY good races with you over the years.

Marty Davis

Latest posts

Back