dimple in solid carbon boom

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Zaker Jr

Supporting Member
Has anyone ever put a "dimple" in a solid carbon boom(.250). It would be the same as doing one for a drive dog, to accept a 6/32 set screw. Not deep but just enough to let the set screw lock in. What kind of bit? Just looking for ideas. I tried it on a scrap piece,taped tightly and it still frayed. Thanks

Ron Jr

Ron,

I use solid carbon booms on my SAW boats. I don't bother with a dimple, just use cup point set screws.

The advantage to the set screws on the SAW boat is if it crashes the booms slide around and disipate a ton of energy. More often than not, the booms don't break.

For my heat racing boats I put a screw through the boom so it can't move. I tried set screws but the ultimately chew up the booms on the turn fin side.

If you want the give the set screw a place to bite, you're better of filing a flat on the carbon rod rather than trying to drill a dimple.

Hope that helps.

Ron,I use solid carbon booms on my SAW boats. I don't bother with a dimple, just use cup point set screws.

The advantage to the set screws on the SAW boat is if it crashes the booms slide around and disipate a ton of energy. More often than not, the booms don't break.

For my heat racing boats I put a screw through the boom so it can't move. I tried set screws but the ultimately chew up the booms on the turn fin side.

If you want the give the set screw a place to bite, you're better of filing a flat on the carbon rod rather than trying to drill a dimple.

Hope that helps.
ok thanks,I'll try a flat.

Ron,

If you use a small drill bit and break the outer skin (creating your "dimple") and then wick thin CA into the opened weave it will work. after it sets use a piece of 600 grit or so to smooth or burnish the area.

Anytime I drill through carbon rods or tube I wick thin CA into the area and re-drill. It will give you an almost perfect hole and won't have a tendancy to "chafe"

gh

Ron,If you use a small drill bit and break the outer skin (creating your "dimple") and then wick thin CA into the opened weave it will work. after it sets use a piece of 600 grit or so to smooth or burnish the area.

Anytime I drill through carbon rods or tube I wick thin CA into the area and re-drill. It will give you an almost perfect hole and won't have a tendancy to "chafe"

gh
Ok man got some good info,thanks everyone!

Back