Crap used buy uf a boat with a K&B 13cc Outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jacob said:
After some attempts i finally got it in the water with the engine running... And now i was able to test it out for the first time (great feeling of accomplishment :) )

It turned and the throttle seemed to work somewhat ok...

So now to the fine-tuning.... The boat turned really odly, sometimes it didn't turn much at all and some times it turned very abruptly. I lowered the sensitivity of the steering, and hopefully that will have helped...

I could clearly notice the tuning of the engine is wrong, it shuts of if i give full throttle, along with other issues...

So, The carburator tuning... And im in need of help here... I Have set the high speed needle to 5 turns from closed, like the paper said. And i left the idle speed alone... But the paper doesn't say anything about the low-speed needle settings, it just says it will be explained later in the text, but there is no text later! :huh: Does anyone who has one of these engines know what it is supposed to be set to?

Thanks... //Jacob
Man Jacob, you got a lot going on here. It sounds like the steering linkage is not tight. Make sure the cables are good and snug, that will prevent that wild steering feeling. Are you using the gold cables with yellow nylon covers? Make sure when you turn the radio they too aren't bowing up and down because if they do you'll keep having turning problems.

The K&B directions aren't always at the lake to tune the carb the way you'd like. It sounds to me like your drowning out the engine. My stock 8702 engine needle is set at 3 1/4 turns out. The low end I think the black round knob is set flush with the carb, back it towards you so it protruds out some. This will help pick up your idle.

As for your fuel 30% will be just fine.

Also, are you using 4 "AA" batteries in the radio box? If so go to a bigger pack.

thats odd, now when i look at k&b's website they have changed their recommendation for the high speed needle setting, from 5½ turns from closed to 3!turns from closed... But the paper that came with my engine said 5½...

Well anyway i went down to the water today, and start testing some settings, i managed to get it going, but the engine would cut out as soon as i gave some throttle... So i tried several differnt settings, between 3½ to 5½... but nothing helped, it still went very irradic and sounded a bit weird...

And then the final strike fell... When i picked it out of the water to start it, i started spinning the engine with the hand starter, and then suddenly "klonk" and the head of the engine was stuck. I tried twisting it, and then suddenly it came loose again, but this time it spun REAL easy... too easy... i removed the glow plug and looked in while spinning it, and yes the piston was very much stuck...

So this evening i took the engine apart to look at it... the hold for the piston rod had broken, and the end of the piston rod too. also the piston had cracked at the bottom and parts where flying around the inside... i removed the piston, and it was deformed and scratched like a cuttingboard... the sleeve was also scratched and missformed.

The previous owner must have tortured the engine like a i dont know what, but it sure as hell wasn't used only once...

First of all, is there any point in continuing with this boat?

Second, is the engine repairable? Is it worth it?

What do you suggest i do?

The engine is very repairable, with a new piston, piston sleeve, & connencting rod. I'm sure some one on here might even have some they might sell you. Don't give up!

Thats good to know, in that case i wont give up just yet...

After removing the piston i saw that it was in terrible shape, it was cracked, and it has clearly been left in the uppermost location for a long time...

I think that the odd behaviour and noises i heard were the engine starting to come apart, the connecting rod had broken of from the thing where it is fastened to opposite the piston.

Right now im trying to get the sleeve out, but thats easier said than done... it has lodged itself very hard... I Managed to get it out a bit by using a series of nuts, washers, and bolts to pull it up by screwing the bolt. And it worked a while but now the washers just keep bending when i try to pull it out... But ill have another go at it next weekend...

What is it exactly i need to repair the engine? A piston, a sleeve, a connecting rod, is there anything else i need? What holds the connecting rod in place?

I found a place here in Sweden that has som spare parts for k&b engines (used to sell them), and they had the sleeve and piston in stock, and most other parts also, all except the connecting rod... Any ideas on where i can get one of those?

No, sorry i don't have any pictures of the boat at this moment...

Does anyone know where i can get ahold of the parts that im in need of? it turned out that this "sale" of k&b parts the shop was having wasn't much of a sale... $80 (equivelent of...) for a piston and sleeve, and then i anyways need to buy from another shop since he only had that and not the connecting rod...

https://shop.mecoa.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=167

is that where im supposed to get the parts?

And one more thing, whats the best way to put the sleeve in? is it a real tight fit, required force?

Latest posts

Back