Batavia

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstevens

Just wanted to get the info out there.

The Batavia Nats is August 7th and 8th.

I posted the current classes and some of the class rules.

There might be some changes, including course size. I will post it on the bataviarc.com site, here or both sites when ready.

So get em ready! :blink:

Jeff

Good to hear about the preparations, Jeff.

On the down side, that likely drives the last nail in the coffin of 4-cell racing.

Bummer. :(

KW

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin Whitehead said:
On the down side, that likely drives the last nail in the coffin of 4-cell racing.

KW
I think the racers did that....nobody ran them. I can't make the race, schedule conflict. Bummer. :(

Jeff,

I read on the Batavia website that you "reserve the right" to limit class entries to 5 per day. Are you going to do this or hasn't it been decided yet? My vote would be for limiting it.

Also - would the high points be calculated based on no more than 5 class entries per day? I for one would like to know exactly how the high points is going to be calculated before race day.

I also read that you'll have this stuff finalized by June 1st - so forgive me if I'm premature on my questions.

I'm sad to see the demise of P Tunnel. I finally got my hull dialed in after 3 years.

Thanks,

Dan Proulx

sjslhill said:
Kevin Whitehead said:

KW
I think the racers did that....nobody ran them. I can't make the race, schedule conflict. Bummer. :(
Could have fooled me.

I thought it took two heats per round for nobody to run their L Hydros in 2003. :)

KW

Kevin Whitehead said:
sjslhill said:
Kevin Whitehead said:

KW
Could have fooled me.

I thought it took two heats per round for nobody to run their L Hydros in 2003. :)

KW
Correct me.....I was not there. In the past there were not many boats. Sorry Kevin.

Steve, I have run in that class for three straight years and my guess would be that last years had the most entries.

I don't have the actual counts for any of the years so, I could also be wrong.

Change may be good anyhow.

Changing to 5 laps from 4 might also alleviate some of the first-turn calamities. More people rush the start and that first turn because the chances of correcting mistakes and catching back up with the leader(s) are slimmer with only 4 laps to do it in.

KW

Hi Jeff

Any news or complaints on possibly changing P-Spec offshore to just a 10 lap race clockwise?

I for one do not like the backwards M-course

Larry

Kevin Whitehead said:

KW
Hi Kevin,

It was a hard call as far as 4-cell racing. Actually we needed to cut 2 classes. The lowest entries were the ones looked at. One thought was alternating years with 4 and 6 cell, when the cut was initially made. Who know it might come back on Sunday 2005 if there is enough interest in it for 2005 or time.

So I am holding the hammer, just don't see the nail. <_<

Jeff

Dan Proulx said:
Jeff,
I read on the Batavia website that you "reserve the right" to limit class entries to 5 per day.  Are you going to do this or hasn't it been decided yet?  My vote would be for limiting it. 

Also - would the high points be calculated based on no more than 5 class entries per day?  I for one would like to know exactly how the high points is going to be calculated before race day.

I also read that you'll have this stuff finalized by June 1st - so forgive me if I'm premature on my questions.

I'm sad to see the demise of P Tunnel.  I finally got my hull dialed in after 3 years.

Thanks,

Dan Proulx
Hey Dan,

I read on the Batavia website that you "reserve the right" to limit class entries to 5 per day.  Are you going to do this or hasn't it been decided yet?  My vote would be for limiting it.
It already is a done deal, which is in so many was posted on the Batavia site.

Also - would the high points be calculated based on no more than 5 class entries per day?  I for one would like to know exactly how the high points is going to be calculated before race day.
High points is based on a weighted system and calculated into a percentage. The class/classes with the most boats will set the curve that all other classes are measured against. The class with the most entries will have the advantage over one with 3 entries. So a 3 boat class winner with a perfect score will have a hard time winning against a 10 boat class winner with a slightly less than perfect score.

I will work on posting the details on the website.

It is not the one with the most boats wins. :blink:

The fine tuning of the rules will be finished by June 1st by Batavia club members. The only thing that may not be resolved will be the course. That has to be resolved either in May or June, at the pond and I do not know when it will be scheduled in.

I'm sad to see the demise of P Tunnel.  I finally got my hull dialed in after 3 years.

You have a fast Tunnel. I hate to have classes cut, our race is about time and entries. If classes can barely fill the minimum then we have to look at other solutions.

Jeff

sjslhill said:
Kevin Whitehead said:

KW
L-Hydro was missing the Famous Steve Hill! ;)

Jeff

lonlymac said:
Hi Jeff
Any news or complaints on possibly changing P-Spec offshore to just a 10 lap race clockwise?

I for one do not like the backwards M-course

Larry
Hi Larry,

Any news or complaints on possibly changing P-Spec offshore to just a 10 lap race clockwise?I for one do not like the backwards M-course
Offshore racing is meant to have boats steer in both directions.

With that in mind one thought for this year is having round 1 CW, Round 2 CCW, and round 3 CW. It will be finalized at one of our summer club meetings, before June 1st.

10 laps is not a valid possibility. The problem is time. If we waited for every boat to finish a 10 lap race it could double or triple the time of finishing the class or more, especially waiting for slower boats. (not saying you have a slower boat ;) )

In 2004 there were some boats that could finish 9 laps in 3 minutes. That is plenty of time for everyone to try and do 9 laps in 3 minutes. (under the 10 lap rule)If a slower boat does 10 laps he/she will still fall in place behind the boats in front of him only giving that person the thrill of running and not improving their position. The problem from a race CD's perspective is time holding up the next races. Other races namely MN and Wis can probably afford to do 10 laps. Eventually they may reach time constraints, like Batavia already has, and have to choose other solutions.

We don't want anymore Saturday night duck hunting.... :(

Jeff

Jeff,

FWIW - our P Offshore usually sees boats finishing 10 laps around 2 minutes 40 seconds.

This class as we run it is not a time consumer. I would bet that it's ran as fast or faster than say - your Crackerbox Ironman class or the N M course class.

But it really doesn't matter to me personally because I won't be running this class anymore as long as it is ran CCW with the M in it.

Dan

Dan,

FWIW - our P Offshore usually sees boats finishing 10 laps around 2 minutes 40 seconds.
Then you should be happy to get an extra 20 seconds in Batavia. :rolleyes: Actually it is more in Batavia because if you cross the line before 3 minutes you get another lap. If your 1st place boat finishes 2:40 I would be curious what your last 10 lap boat finishes with problems or the one that is the slowest boat.

This class as we run it is not a time consumer.  I would bet that it's ran as fast or  faster than say - your Crackerbox Ironman class or the N M course class.
Of course, you have double the cells :blink: :lol: .... Anyway the Batavia course usually the fastest can do 9 laps in 3 minutes or a little past 3 minutes. Crackerbox Ironman M-Course and N-Mcourse stop at the 4 minute mark. The longest race is 12 Hydro (4 Min. Enduro), you finish the last lap at 4 Min and the most laps ever done is 16.

But it really doesn't matter to me personally because I won't  be running this class anymore as long as it is ran CCW with the M in it.
I was looking forward to you giving Paul a run for the money. Does that mean you are going to make a run at Crackerbox or N-M-course? Whichever you pick I am sure you will have fun. ;)

Jeff

Actually Jeff, with respect to the P Offshore class as MN & WI run it - I am one of the slower boats. I've never had very good finishes in this class - although I do like the class alot.

Many recall the aerobatics that my entry in the MN race 2 years ago and the WI race last year would routinely perform.

I understand the constraints that you're under though. It's just too many classes and too many racers. Something has gotta give. Whatever you decide I'm sure the event will be a blast - just as it always is.

Although...it'd be more fun if you let me specify all the classes and rules. (just kidding of course ; )

Dan

Dan

Was that the green and white boat that made all those pretty flips and the like.... :D

I remember Dan saying...just wait a second...it will self-right...he was right too...

That was styling.....For sure..... ;)

grim

Dan

Although...it'd be more fun if you let me specify all the classes and rules.  (just kidding of course ; ) 
Dan,

Any other changes I can do feel free to give me some $100 greenies... :rolleyes:

Seriously I don't take bribes. Although I have always wondered what a "gold" bar would look like inside my home.... (just kidding of course.... or am I? :eek: )

:lol:

Jeff

Back