Attaching a turn fin spar

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Leyde

Club Racer
What is the best way to attach a CF turn fin spar to the sponson. This particular spar will be attached on the outside of the sheeting. Because the sponson are already sheeted.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have enough wood inside use threaded inserts. If it's too thin you might need to make a wood plate to beef it up first.

What size is the boat? You could use round alum stock. Drill and tap it. Drill the hole the same size as the stock in the sponson and epoxy them into place. I know it works on larger sponsons. Hope this helps. Ryon

What size is the boat? You could use round alum stock. Drill and tap it. Drill the hole the same size as the stock in the sponson and epoxy them into place. I know it works on larger sponsons. Hope this helps. Ryon
It's on a .12 rigger. I think I am going to do just as you mensioned but use arrow inserts. I'm a toolmaker and an archer. So I could make them if needed but I have some inserts laying around that I can use. :D

Mark

That is a great idea Ryon you could also do the same thing with wood dowel rod and threaded inserts for smaller riggers I would guess?

Paul

.12 riggers are not very heavy guys. Yeah, I know we can calculate the centrifical force and come up with a weight but the bottom line is this, if you distribute the load well you don't need much to hold the turn fin on a .12 rigger.

What is the best way to attach a CF turn fin spar to the sponson. This particular spar will be attached on the outside of the sheeting. Because the sponson are already sheeted.
Mark
Go to a sporting good store & get a pack of arrowhead inserts. They are already drilled & tapped in 6-32 or 8-32.

insert2.gif

Latest posts

Back