7.5 foot skeg length

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamspeed

Well being this is the greatest forum known to man, I though I would ask the question. What is the proper length of the skeg to run on an HTB 290 with a Rossi on a 7.5 K&B foot????

on my boat , i leave the skeg the stock length . on a day when i was testing several tuned pipes ,i recorded speeds of 56-59mph with the center of the drive dog .312 in. below the bottom of the sponsons . some people might think this would not be possible with this much mass dragging in the water . i prefer a lot of steering device in the water to improve lane 1 driveability.

Thanks for the info. Are you running a .21 on a 7.5 foot? I was thinking of cutting the skeg down to the size of the lawless 3.5 foot. On your boat with the center of the shaft .312 below sponson was that because you are running a 1440 prop.

yes i use a 7.5 foot on my htb290 . this setup has always been raced with with a nova rossi 21 long stroke . the 1440 that i use has .062in cut off the diameter and is pitched to 2.75in .the stock diameter with this pitch wont let the motor turn up . i have never tryed modifing the skeg for more speed ,for i think it would hurt driveability . the lower unit that i heard tommy lee went 62mph with was supposed to be something simular to an electric outboard with a nova rossi on top of it .the fastest i have recorded with a 7.5 lower and a nova rossi was 59.8 mph . more lower unit in the water is not all that bad . ernie

I would like to know what the difference with handling is between the older, smaller skeg on the K&B lowers as opposed to the larger ones on the newer K&B lowers?

The new Hyperformance drive seems to have a relatively small skeg in comparison to the Lawless and a bit smaller than the new K&B or is this just how it looks, not how it is? Also if i remember correctly Gene was going to run a older style K&B lower on his first SAW Villain S1...so someone please give us your results, or thoughts o nthis matter ;D

Kris

I do have both lower ends in use. The old one with the smaller skeg wil do what you expect from it. That is spinning out a lot earlier.

Back