.67 CMB con rod needles

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil LaGarry

I pulled my green head .67 CMB apart and found 20 needles . How many go back in?? When I pulled out the drum housing they all came out with the housing/ most of them anyways.. Any helpful tricks to getting them little guys back in. My new bearings are still in the mail. they should be here today. I have new needles to add, I looked close up at the needles they have a wear on the center section. They look shot .some of them . Then I can start to put her back together.

I pulled my green head .67 CMB apart and found 20 needles . How many go back in?? When I pulled out the drum housing they all came out with the housing/ most of them anyways.. Any helpful tricks to getting them little guys back in. My new bearings are still in the mail. they should be here today. I have new needles to add, I looked close up at the needles they have a wear on the center section. They look shot .some of them . Then I can start to put her back together.
use 2 pieces of k&s brass tubing or 1 tubing and i solid rod.the inside rod(1/16) or tubing needs to be longer than the outside one.make them 3 to 4 inches long.lube the needles a little to make them sticky,them slide the tubing over the needles 1 at a time,forcing a few in the tube(i do up to about 10),then pop them in the crank/rod assembleby pushing them out with the inner tube(or rod).do it slowly,as you can flip them sideways and if you can't straighten them out you may have to dump em out and start over.work your way around the shaft,and you can just lay the needles in real nice.

thank dick jones for this one

Those needles are the hardest part of the engine. 20 out 20 back in. The discoloration you see in the middle of them is from the oil slot in the rod. As long as they have not blued from heat reuse them they are fine.

Take some Vaseline and pack it between the crank pin and the rod and this will hold the needles in place during installation. Place in 120 degree increments. I like to divide mine into 4 piles of 5 and that helps me make sure 20 go back in.

OK 20 go back in

I didn't have my glasses on when I remover the end. I wasn't sure if one or two went flying. I ran and got my glasses. I have 2 engines to rebuild so I'll use each method. and decide what I like. No bearing in the mail today.

Latest posts

Back