1/8 scale hydro setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I m wanting to set up my 1/8 hydro with a neu 1527 or 2215. Any suggestions and also the kv to. How many lipos do I need to run and I would like to be 60mph ++++ which esc to

Charles,

You going to want to start with an 8S2P or 10S2P with 10,000mAh total of battery capacity or better yet 12,000mAh. The 1527/1.5Y with the 8mm shaft would be a good set-up for a light boat on 8S. It also a little easier to package than the 2215.

A 2215/1.5Y would be a very nice reliable set-up able to pull more common props. You can run either 8S or 10S reliably with reasonable amperage draw. My vote would be for a 2215.

You need at least 150Amps at this power class. Esc's to consider are the new ETTI HV200, Schulze, Castle HV 120, HV 180 or HV240. The Schulze is the favorite, but of course the most expensive.

Buy the best lipos you can afford.

Here is a good link to power requirements on Caslte's site: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ne..._boat_apps.html

Tyler

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to assume you are wanting to power a 1/8th scale sport hydro like the title of your post shows. If you are talking about a rigger you can use much different power setups to go 60mph.

My 1/8th scale is a Steve Muck hull and it's very light. She runs on 10S1P 5000mah 25C cells and is regulated by either a Castle HV 180 or a Schutze 40.160. I definitely trust the schultze more especially for prolonged low throttle input like in a mill. The motor is a Plett 360 (I can't recall the exact #'s on the motor but think it is an A2 or3.) This is a high end setup and propells the hull at upper 50's to low 60's depending on the conditions. To go much faster is very possible but you are looking at paralelling cells (double the cost of batts). 5000mahs is plenty enough for this power setup. Ususally only pulling 3000mah approx for a heat race with mill time of a lap or 2.

The wqeight of your hull and how wet it runs is a major factor in your amp pull. This is the most deciding factor for your motor/cell setup.

The 1527 will do it if your light enough but may have to parallel cells. the 22 size cans IMO or way too much power for this class. I know some that are using them but are also paralleling I believe.

I have a complete set up for 1/8 scale... 2215, speed controller, and Lipo's. All new... if your interested PM me. Bought the stuff a year ago for a project and have moved on to other things.

Fred

I wanted to do somthing like that too,but with my luck the boat would shortout on me and burn up..Fred let me know what you want for that setup..my boyfriend might be interested in it for his 1/8 scale hydro he's working on...

Last edited by a moderator:
I happen to have two brand new 2215-1.5Y Neu motors for sale for just $350 each. Let me know if you are looking to repower your 1/8th Scale to electric.

Back