79' Circus Circus "insides" Rehab

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanJohnson

Hi All,

I'm performing my first minor scale rehab and thought it would be cool to share my progress. I got the boat for a decent price and the exterior paint is nice, but the insides needed some TLC. I started by removing the built in radio box and built my own removable radio box. After that, I began removing as much paint inside the bay area as possible.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I then noticed the stuffing tube and strut mounting area was not exactly center, so I removed the stuffing tube and the excess area built up to support the tube as well as cut out the entire area that the strut was mounted. I then cut to fit new wood to be placed back into these respective areas and then reinforced those spots with additional, larger supports and epoxied these supports in place.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tonight, I'm adding an additional floor to the engine area as I'm going to use a floor style motor mount and want the reinforcement. The holes in the sides of the engine area are not square, so if you attempt to use a Speedmaster style mount, the ends of the mount where you would bolt the engine are not even.... Far from it actually, so I'll eventually be plugging those holes. I also got a spiffy roll of carbon fiber fabric in the mail today that I'm going to use to finish the inside floor and hope to get to this tomorrow.

Updates to follow as they become available.

Looking good.. PM me your address so I can get a scale registration form to you.

Grim

Hi Mike,

Thanks, you actually emailed me the registration form last month, I'll mail it to you along with the $ in the coming weeks.

I woke up a little earlier this morning to cut and lay the carbon fiber and epoxy it before I left for work. The epoxy is a little sticky, so I probably won't get anything else done today.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Craig,

It's from Composite Envisions. They have a holiday deal going still for their 5.7oz cloth and that's what I used. I just checked it and it hardened like a rock - great stuff! I used West Systems 105/206 for the epoxy.

I made a little more progress this evening. I bought some aluminum "T" stock and made my own floor mount and took some spacers and rails from a Speedmaster motor mount to make my own semi-homemade motor mount. I need to mount it to the floor still, but I'm waiting for a package with some hardware (in this instance a strut and collet) before I can proceed. I also need to get some nuts and bolts that are uniform.... I used what I had this evening.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dean, way cool giving old classics new life.
default_cool.png
What size nuts and bolts do you need, I buy by the 100. LMK...............==={}

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your offer; fortunately there are no shortages of hobby shops and hardware store within minutes from me, so it's just a matter of going there to buy the supplies.

I made some small progress since my last post. I bought uniform nuts, bolts, and washers, screwed the motor mount to the floor, tapped and threaded larger holes in the rails, and started rough fitting the stuffing tube. I need the collet and strut (which should arrive soon) before I can set the stuffing tube in place.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good Dean. Now I not only have to run Mike Z. but now I will be running after you too!

Hey Ed,

I just hope it runs.... Not sure how competitive I'll be, but I'm looking forward to running my first scale.

I was able to get a little work done last night. I installed the strut and set the stuffing tube in place. When I get home today I'll cut the tube to length and add a small support for rigidity where the flex shaft exits for the collet.

My next project will be blue printing the sponsons.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Over this week I managed to build a radio box and rig the linkages along with cut the stuffing tube and cut the flex shaft to length. Only things left to do are install the fuel tanks, exhaust, and blue, print the bottom. I'm pretty happy with how this has turned out so far.

I'm going to start on the underside this weekend.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally had some good weather this weekend and was able to get a little painting done. I blueprinted the sponson bottoms and cleaned up the underside in general. After, I painted the bottom white and sealed it with west systems.... I have some light sanding to do this evening from some slight running of the epoxy, but once done, I'll pretty much be completed with the rehab and will try to run it this coming weekend. I'll also add a few pics of the finished bottom and top once reassembled.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back