Ran a boat Saturday. First time in a longggg time.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blair Warren

Got my old rigger cleaned up, new radio, spiffed up the engine and fired the beast up after 20+ years on the shelf.

Definitely OLD school. :) But it was a blast.

Could you tell us little more about this boat.Thanks for sharing Gill
Sure thing. Thanks for asking. This hull is one that I scratch built back in about 1986. My own design but kinda of a cross between a Coyote and a Crapshooter. Ran a Picco 65 in it for a while, then got an OPS 67 which is in it now, w/OPS quiet pipe that came with the motor. Stock 1662 prop. Actually raced it just as it is. All the hardware is custom stuff that my dad made. The water pickup is in the strut instead of the rudder and we started mounting the turn fin on the back of the right sponson on our boats around 1984. It also has 2 air intake tubes at the very nose of the boat, that feeds air into the engine compartment. Ram air I guess. LOL If you notice the way it turns.. it slides a bit, which was by design. Instead of a sharp corner on the outside bottom edges of the left side sponsons, we made them angled so that they would not have a tendency to "dig-in" if the boat wake hopped in a turn, but I could still hang the buoys with it if needed.

I was very fortunate that my dad was a tool maker, he made all the motor mounts, struts, rudders for us. Whatever we needed or could dream up he could make. We did all our own motor work, rebalanced cranks, modified intake/exhaust timing. Tried a bunch of stuff.

My dad and I raced District 2 for about 12-13 years. (1980-1993) Raced at the 1983 Internats hosted by the Oakland Club, and the 1986 Internats in Huntsville. Had a bunch of great times. :)

Ah the sweet smell of nitro in the morning! :)

I remember Blair and his dad Orville as a team of innovators with meticulous equipment, their stuff always ran well and they usually finished on top of the podium. Your stuff would be as compititive today as it was 20 years ago.

Looks like you never left, good for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice people met Orville and his faimly a few times at the Old Buck Eye 880. He showed me a a lot of cool stuff. Very helpful

Go race that boat Blair.

Nails

yes, nice boat! Now I'm excited to complete my Youngblood (Picco P67) and Coyote (Rossi R80) hydro's. Also plan to build a new Prather Piranha (new Picco 45R blue-head).

Blair,

Good to see you getting back into rc boats. We had alot of good competitions with you and your Dad. Hope to see and race with you in the near future.

T&C

Thanks Blair for the explanation as most of us here have been rigger addicted for years.....nice to see the evolution with our equipments!.Gill

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Terry, don't over sell me. LOL. :) Thanks for the kind words.

Bob and Tom , hope to see you guys when I get back to racing.

Tom, my dad and I always enjoyed hanging out with you and Cindy at the races or at the campground, great people.

Could you tell us little more about this boat.Thanks for sharing Gill
Ran a Picco 65 in it for a while, then got an OPS 67 which is in it now, w/OPS quiet pipe that came with the motor. Stock 1662 prop.
That OPS 67 was from back in 1980's? Or is it a current OPS 67 drum-valve Marine?

It's a late 80's OPS 67, guess you could call it a "classic" OPS 67. The quiet pipe is from the late 80's too, it came with the engine.

How are you doing on your Youngblood?

moving along on my Youngblood hydro. Just getting into positioning and drilling holes for motor-mount (Rossi R80). Back then the fiberglass fuselage would come, typically, with 5in rail spacing, but no mounting holes. I'm finding it a little messy trying to locate engine mount holes (from inside) and drill through side of hull- accurately. Beyond that, locating and mounting hardware and radio gear.

Also working on a 67/80 original (1988) Coyote hull as well.

Latest posts

Back