P limited Hydro Heat times?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Bourlet

Hey what kind of heat times are you guys getting with your P-Limited Hydros? I just ran a 1:23 last weekend and sent off the NAMBA paperwork for the competition mile record. I was running my fiberglass tub version JAE built from Rod G.s plans with the Aquacraft UL-1 2030 motor, Turnigy 4000 NanoTech battery, Phoenix Ice100 ESC, Airtronics 2.4. Unfortunately the next run I lost my good prop ;-(

I race nitro, Gas and electric and just don't see how you can beat the bang for the buck compared to P-Limited Hydro. The darn thing runs heat times comparable to Sport 40 and for very little investment.

Eric

I am so hooked on FE......I really think it is the future of R/C Racing.....

There will be NO Gas or Nitro hulls faster than FE hulls in the very near future...

They will dominate Speed wise...just give them a little while longer....if they are not already....

P.S.

I am desinging a Stand for the boat you have as we speak.....

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
I have little experience with hydro's but have set up a couple FE tunnels and the P-spec power plant is going to be the entry point for a lot of nitro guys into FE. Erics time for 6 laps works out to 6 back to back sub 14 second laps. I suspect that boat on an ideal run could turn a low 13 second lap and I wouldn't question a high 12. I do like the format in Namba for a 6 lap in competition record as it is very realistic and you know where you stand easily. Plus it makes you run hard going for a record when sometimes you might lay up in the lead.

As to Joes statement well he is correct. What hooks you on FE is just plain speed. That and no tune pipe, carb, glow plugs, and having to adapt to weather and altitude changes. I know a lot of nitro diehards love the smell and noise but an FE has a unique sound also. A pack of 6 tunnels reminds me of the whine of a V-6 merc. It is not just a "green" issue now but down the line that will be a factor.

I have never liked a .21 nitro anything as they either don't run or tease you with off the chart performance that suddenly disapears at the next race. The p-spec has power just shy of a mod .21 and a full p will give the rpms of a .21 and more torque than a .45. this and can be bought motor and ESC in the $200-300 range. Should be an ideal hydro motor but if your reading this in the FE section I am preaching to the choir. This info should go in the regular forum.

Eric what kind of single or 2 lap times are you getting?

Mic

Sometimes I have to fight the urge to say "weeeeeeeee" when they're coming up the front straight. I'm such a child.

I ran my JAE for the first time last nite. Mine is modified though. Shallower tub. You don't need all that height for an FE boat. There's no tank to accomodate. Motor has a blister bubble canopy over it. Doesn't have the ski either. Prop is a little more loaded than I like. I'll probably throw some shoes on it to see how it does. Still tweaking it but I'm pretty impressed so far.

Terry let me tell you before the boss does. If you have modified the boat it is not a JAE. :p ;)

Real boats don't wear shoes, (oh boy :huh: lol) put the ski on it and go have some fun!!

We had 10 JAE 21 FEs entered in our last race, 9 limited and 1 open. Man what a hoot!!

Talking about fighting the urge to say "weeeeeeee" when the come up the front straight. I'm glad our gas and nitro counterparts don't make us make "engine sounds" anymore. We were all horse after the first heat. :lol: LMAO

Doug

Eric

There will be NO Gas or Nitro hulls faster than FE hulls in the very near future...

They will dominate Speed wise...just give them a little while longer....if they are not already....

P.S.

Joe
Actually Joe if you design the stand to fit the ZippKit version it is different than the boat I run. I built mine from the electric version plans. It has the booms further apart. I feel it makes battery placement easier.

Real boats don't wear shoes, (oh boy :huh: lol)
Really? I'll just sit and wait for the 2nd sub-20 second 2-lap FE boat to get here. The first one had shoes :p . It's not bad in a heat race either, ask Eric. Shoes and skis, just different ways of approaching the problem.

It is hard not to sit there and grin the whole time. Bang for the buck, the p-spec boats are hard to beat.

I knew someone would be all over that. Might have guessed it would be you. :lol: B)

D.

Eric

P.S.

Joe
Actually Joe if you design the stand to fit the ZippKit version it is different than the boat I run. I built mine from the electric version plans. It has the booms further apart. I feel it makes battery placement easier.

Thanks Eric

I have the Boom spacing at 12 1/2"

I am building one for Ted Wachter.

He has helped me with the dimensions.

PM me if you would like to try one of my stands.

Thanks

Joe

Fine, I'll put slippers on it. haha

I have one I built from the plans that I scaled down to 27". The tub just barely tall enough to carry 4s 3300's. Has a ski. It's fast but it will hunt. Not as bad as some I've seen though. The ski is pretty narrow on that one. It's just enough to keep the tail up.

There are two JAE FE kits in our club. Both hunt like mad.

This latest one I've modified had a ski when I got it. Used to hunt. However, I can't say absolutely that it was ski related. This had the gigantic turn fin and the recommended gigantic rudder. What do you need all the giant hardware for on a spec rigger? The thing weighs almost nothing. Even the motor mount they sell for the kit is overkill. The face plate on that mount is nearly 3 times as thick as the mount on my Q sport running 6s2p on a 2215. That mount should weigh in at half what it does. What do I know though.

I'm not saying they can't work or they aren't great kits. Especially for the cost. But come on guys, they're nitro boats with the booms moved to fit batteries.

The P spec power setups are cheap fun for sure. I have a bunch of specky boats kicking around now. I swear my 4s packs are multiplying on their own. I need to dump some of these.

Hmm... all this talk dissing skis, shoes, JAE... but no answers to the posted question. What 6 lap mile heat times are you guys seeing with your P Spec boats?

Hmm... all this talk dissing skis, shoes, JAE... but no answers to the posted question. What 6 lap mile heat times are you guys seeing with your P Spec boats?
Never bothered checking Eric. I'll see what I can come up with at our August race. Sorry for taking your thread off topic.

Incoming PM on the hunting JAEs Terry. ;)

Doug.

Sorry Eric. Didn't mean to diss JAE. They're still great kits. If they spark more interest in riggers I'm a fan. Cheap, fast, fun. Perfect combo.

Our club isn't running a measured course so any times are useless. I wouldn't be shocked if that were the case with lots of FE clubs. I was going to suggest you check with the guys that just hosted the nats but they ran an 1/8 mile course so those times will be screwy too. The course in CO from last year was jacked up at first and had to be adjusted. I can't vouche for it's accuracy either.

It just may be that the class hasn't been a real class long enough to have real data yet. Maybe ask over on the red board or at OSE. Somebody has to be running a legal course out there somewhere. 1:23 sounds pretty strong to me though.

It may be good to start a thread about the hunting. I believe most of that is boat setup.I know what you mean about the electric groups and their course sizes. I wish more would.run the 6 lap mile course, I think it would open up the eyes of many nitro and gas racers. I think the courses have not caught up to what lipos have done to the boats.

2009 NAMBA Gas Nats in Washington. Fast time for P-Ltd Hydro was Chris Grim at 1:24:13. (This was done with a UL-1 ESC).

2010 Greeley Nat's, fast time was Douggie Twaits at 1:26:30.

Both on 1/6th courses.

At the Greeley race, there were 4 of us with fast times within 3.6 seconds of each other.

We used to run the 1/8th mile course at club meets and the 1/6th at larger races - that made boat set-up tough. Now we run the 1/6th mile (for 6 laps) almost exclusively. Far better IMO, more fun too. But even though some of the top gas racers in the country watch us run - often running lower lap times than they are - few are coming over. Give them time, but there is still a lot to be said for fuel boats......

Back