Gas tunnel outboards

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superrod1969

Got a couple of questions on availability of gas tunnel hulls and who makes them. I know Chris at Blackhawk hobbies has one and Aeromarine used to make a big one, anyone else? If you had a preferance on a gas outboard would you prefer a more scale look to the leg and an available cowl? I have been doing development on a gear drive lower and a cable drive lower and would like some input on preferances. I have a design for a mount that trims and or raises the engine with 3rd channel mixing tied to the steering or just off the controller, is there interest in this also. Getting prototypes off the cnc mill is expencive and looking of some thoughts before I spend anymore large chunks of change.

Thanks

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy. I dont know much about availabilty of hulls, but I have a 1/4 scale Dpi copy with 13cc K&B and am thinking of going to gas, so i would be intersted

in your lowers and mounts ect.I dont have a preferance as to cable or gear drive as so far have only used cable. Do you have any pics of your development so far?

I live in new Zealand so finding parts for boats is not easy.

Good luck, and Im sure others on IW with alot more experience than me will be able to help.

Cheers Shane.

Shane

Theres a guy in Australia already making legs to suit the Zenoah ;)

could be worth checking out

Im building a scaled up wood version 1/4 scale tunnel, I would be interested in a lower unit. I would prefer cable drive, light weight and functionality over a scale look. something similar to the already produced Lawless and the Aussie lower unit...

~James

I have seen the lawless and if someone has a link to the Aussie drive I would like to see it also. The gear drive lower is much heavier than the cable drive. The cable drive we are working on will have a composite lower housing. If things go well I will have both at the winter nats. Have a boat on the way and will have the gear drive setup running on that one I hope. If you have any pics of you big tunnels I would like to see them.

Thanks

Jimmy

Shane
Theres a guy in Australia already making legs to suit the Zenoah ;)

could be worth checking out
Hmm...........

In Australia? Cable drive? I wonder who that could be.

Could it be gmorty? Heck yes.

Greg makes a really nice lower for a Zenoah.

I recieved one a few weeks ago and I'm quite pleased with it.

He does a really nice job on them.

Anyone who gets one won't be dissapointed.

Shipping from Aussi land is no problem either.

I had my package in a week.

Mines going on a new Aeromarine Preditor.

Fun little project.

Walt, glad to see you went with the gas engine! so.... are you bringing your tunnels to the all Tunnel Race in March???

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Walt, glad to see you went with the gas engine! so.... are you bringing your tunnels to the all Tunnel Race in March???
~James
Hey James,

I'm probably not going to make it this year.

I won't really have time for any testing on all of the new stuff.The water is getting hard up here in Michigan.We won't see liquid again till march-april.

But,I'm shooting for the Nats in Ohio.

Heck,with you,I sure can't use distance for an excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
testing? what does that mean? isnt that what you do on the day bfore the official racing starts? :blink:

Or if you are Chenco when (just after you get to the pits after just getting the boat out of the boot when pit time starts) and starting it up 1sec before mill time LOL

~James
Hey James,

I won't really have time for any testing on all of the new stuff.The water is getting hard up here in Michigan.We won't see liquid again till march-april.

Walt,

You would lose that in a quick hurry, with James coming from Germany, Ronald from the Netherlands and Kris Flynn from Australia. Distance will be no excuse this time!

John

~James
Hey James,

Walt,

You would lose that in a quick hurry, with James coming from Germany, Ronald from the Netherlands and Kris Flynn from Australia. Distance will be no excuse this time!

John
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know,that's why I couldn't use it for an excuse.

With these gas lower units and pipes now being available - I think we will see the area of hull development to suit the gas engines drastically improving.

IMO The hulls designed for the big K&B nitro engines may not be the way to go for the heavy gassers without some modifications.......

Walt,

Got myself one of the Aeromarine Predators also. Waiting to get the Lawless lower and SPP pipe from Fred. And yea, the boat will be at the OB Tunnel Nats next year..

Trans Tasman relations no dramas Shane

Mate have sent you a PM

Hope to here from you soon,

Great to hear the good responses as well guys both here and OS thankyou.

The big Gas Tunnel ran the best it has run last week at the State Titles,

after removing all the weight from the hull it started to get real flighty just as it should and cornered way better.

Its heading to BOB 07 so its all good

If anyone requires any info on the legs PM or email me for details.

Cheers

Greg

Thanks Greg

Ill be watching for updates on how your hull/engine combo is doing.

Cheers Shane.

Back