you're on the clock

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: shut up and race! must not be much of a racer if this is all ya'll can come up with!keyboard racers have nothing better to do with their time!

We need to get back to the reason Jeff asked this. Will reducing start time by 30 seconds build in enough time to add another full round for all classes?

I don't think so. Though I haven't raced but a small number of times, I see where this thought would occur. If the CD isn't strict, the delays add up. This proposal sounds like the recent change in college football to reduce the time taken to "play" a game. That and this proposal are only a band-aid to cover the real problem. As mentioned once or twice, each racer should be ready to go when the retrieval boats come in. Those that aren't, miss out.

I race many races where I have back to back classes. I come to the pits with 2 boats and have the next boat on the start table as soon as the previous race is over. If my first boat is in the retrieve boat, I don't worry to much about it. It doesn't have to go to my pit Right That Minute. Set it aside. It's not going to catch on fire if it sits there for 5 minutes. Some people can't seem to get the boat preparation thing down and it slows things up for everyone. This is the biggest delay that I have seen at most races. Don't ask if everybody is ready, just start the clock!

My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
The clock at 3 min is not the big deal as mentioned it can be bumped to the 30 if all the boats are on the water. If you have boats back to back or if the freq. pin is for one of the boats being retreived it might take an extra minuet or so, to get on the clock again. Remember this is still a hobbey and lets still have fun, and relax a little. A day racing and driving 6 hrs one way is still better than a day of work even for a couple of heats. If you are talking about the big races it should be stated in the flyers and in the info for that race.

I race many races where I have back to back classes. I come to the pits with 2 boats and have the next boat on the start table as soon as the previous race is over. If my first boat is in the retrieve boat, I don't worry to much about it. It doesn't have to go to my pit Right That Minute. Set it aside. It's not going to catch on fire if it sits there for 5 minutes. Some people can't seem to get the boat preparation thing down and it slows things up for everyone. This is the biggest delay that I have seen at most races. Don't ask if everybody is ready, just start the clock!

My 2 cents.
yea but it sure can get expensive if the pic up boat does not cut off the switch with stripped servos.

Allen

My 2 cents.
yea but it sure can get expensive if the pic up boat does not cut off the switch with stripped servos.

Allen
Wellllll that's not exactly what I'm talking about Allen. Get you boat from retrieval if necessary but don't carry it back to your pits, Start fueling and prepping your next boat which is UP to RACE NOW, check your glow plug, find somebody to help you pit, look for the frequency pin, etc etc etc, while everybody else is standing in the pits with glow driver in hand and the starter under the belt waiting for you. It's these people that make for a long and unproductive Race Day. :angry:

My 2 cents.

Allen
Wellllll that's not exactly what I'm talking about Allen. Get you boat from retrieval if necessary but don't carry it back to your pits, Start fueling and prepping your next boat which is UP to RACE NOW, check your glow plug, find somebody to help you pit, look for the frequency pin, etc etc etc, while everybody else is standing in the pits with glow driver in hand and the starter under the belt waiting for you. It's these people that make for a long and unproductive Race Day. :angry:

[/quote

I AGREE.

You got that right Scott! Ever notice it is the same people nine times out of 10 that everyone always have to wait on?

My 2 cents.

Allen

One thing that would really help if all switchs were easily viewable and the retrieve boat would turn of switches and wave there hand so that the clip could be passed. Of course for this to work there needs to be two people in the retrieve boat wich taxes most clubs.

Allen

One thing that would really help if all switchs were easily viewable and the retrieve boat would turn of switches and wave there hand so that the clip could be passed. Of course for this to work there needs to be two people in the retrieve boat wich taxes most clubs.

Allen
I agree with that too! If you want your boat turned off, make the switch Visible and Marked!

If you want to speed up any race here is what you need to do

1) like Allen said either put your switch where it can be seen easily or mark your boat to show where it is. That speeds up the process of waiting for your clip if another racer has it dead in the water. any person running the retrieve boat should know to cut off the boats.

2) DO NOT WAIT FOR ROLLERS TO CLEAR. That is a big delay YOU HAVE 2.5 MINUTES for them to clear.they are normaly gone in that time frame.

3) HAVE your Azz and your boat in the pits if your are in the get ready. That is the biggest loss of time at any race. This is what I think should happen the pit boss gets a nice big comfy chair and he sits in it in the back of the pits. YOU HAVE TO FIND HIM AND CHECK YOUR BOAT IN.

4) when the retrieve boat hits the shore START THE CLOCK.

so lets review 1. LEAVE the clock alone.

2 Do not wait for rollers.

3. put on off switch where it can be seen/found easily.

4. Read your heat sheet and know your heats.

5. When the boat hits the dock put thier azzes on the clock.

I have not been racing as long as alot of you other guys but in my 5 years of doing it these are the biggest waste of time i see.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: shut up and race! must not be much of a racer if this is all ya'll can come up with!keyboard racers have nothing better to do with their time!

i've been racing for 15 years in district 5 and parts of district 7. now YOU SHUT UP AND ANSWER THE QUESTION , where do you race. if you don't like the clock time to be lowered , then say no change. instead of letting your ass do the talking.

2) DO NOT WAIT FOR ROLLERS TO CLEAR. That is a big delay YOU HAVE 2.5 MINUTES for them to clear.they are normaly gone in that time frame.
If you use TWO retrieve boats at big races & they go out FAST & back easy you will not have problem #2. B)

As for not waiting for rollers to clear I'll disagree with that. The guy in the retrieve boat created that, if the host club doesn't runs the retrieval correctly they are creating this problem. There's no nice way to say this but in past years I've seen idiot retrieve boat drivers come back wide open with the bow 30+ degrees in the air creating rollers so big they swamped 1/2 or more of the next heat, even after the boats went in at the last second waiting for the whitecaps ...er I mean "rollers" to lay down. And the clock was getting started as soon as said retrieve boats hit the beach. :ph34r:

I guess the reason we do not have the wait for rollers all that much is because we use a row boad or electric motors on the retreval boats. If a big boat comes by we do have to wait for the rollers. But I'm talking about 35-50 scale hydros only at the race and not the mixed bag at NAMBA or IMPBA races. Must be getting to the end of the racing season for some to get an early start for winter fun on the RC sites. LOL

At the Northern Nats, we had 2 retrieve boats to cover each side of the pond like Don was saying. We also have a controlled radio impound tent where your radio is clipped and ready for you. Our heats are all preprinted so everyone knows when they're up. The retrieve boats return to shore slowly but as soon as they hit the shore, the next heat starts. We had no complaints about not being ready. We had about 140 heats and finished the 4th round about 3:30 Sunday afternoon. We also ran with a 2:30 clock.

At the Northern Nats, we had 2 retrieve boats to cover each side of the pond like Don was saying. We also have a controlled radio impound tent where your radio is clipped and ready for you. Our heats are all preprinted so everyone knows when they're up. The retrieve boats return to shore slowly but as soon as they hit the shore, the next heat starts. We had no complaints about not being ready. We had about 140 heats and finished the 4th round about 3:30 Sunday afternoon. We also ran with a 2:30 clock.
There ya go, a perfect example of what I was getting at, thanks Mike! :)

Allen
If two or more boats go down in a heat the PIT MEN for the first two boats that went down are already at the retrieve boat when the heat finnishes. This gives one person to row/drive and the other to retrieve dead wood and shut off switches.

:huh: Time is NOT the problem here ...

I just C.D.ed our clubs district race this past weekend, in NAMBA you have 2 min to get started and off the table, then 30 sec clock for the start. In every heat, unless there is a hold by one of the pit guys, or a boat is still on a table, the 30 sec start clock is started regardless of remaining 2 min clock time. THIS SPEED'S IT UP A BUNCH !!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Biggest ***** !!!!! .... need judges, need judges, need judges .... on & on & on !!!!!

Every damm heat, no one wants to judge ( we require you judge a heat for EVERY one you run ) so heats wait on judges ... this is OUR DISTRICTS weak link to gettin er done timely :blink:

Scott

district 13! the tunnel capital!

the guys in the retrieve boat could use a hand held radio to radio back to the cd that all boats have been turn off.

allen

Last edited:
Back