• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB RPM Rod for Picco 80 EXR

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron,I Need a RPM rod too for a 67exr same rod as 80...come on guys dig Ron and me up a couple new rods you've been hoarding!

The 67 and 80 rods are the same right?????

Ron, Ive left a message on his cell,ill try calling his home number tonight.He offered to sell/trade me one a few years back 2010 but I didnt need one then..ILL keep trying to contact to see if he has a couple left. JOE

67 & 80 are the same rods, get a hold of Brad Christy.
JOE,I still have a titan rod but wanted to trade Brad for a Alum one.I still have the motor you sent me in the box.its the best one ill ever find for a spare,but it too has a stock rod and will never be ran untill a better rod installed,no sense in risking a nice motor!!. JOE P.

Joe I will tell you a secret to get the Rod to live..... Picco 67/80 EXR rods are the same rod. Picco machined the rod .275 in width on the big end of the rod. RPM and Titan rod mfgers copied this same problem Their rods are.275 also....... This is Too wide... and the rod cannot float on the Crank pin... The first thing that happens is the crank under load from the prop gets thrusted forward and pushes the rod into the drum assembly, This causes heat and the rod failure is fixen to began. the Rod Must be cut down to .250 total width. and you must gently counter sink the end of the brass bushing so it cannot come into contact with the crank pin radius. This is true on Picco Rod, RPM Rods & Titan Rods. This mod will allow the rod to have clearence & float on the crank pin while the crankshaft is moving forwards and backwards in the case.. Without this mod all of the mentioned rods will be short lived....... Every picco engine needs to be checked to make sure the crank pin is longer than the rod is wide. Especially if you are running collet drive.... drive couplers. Collet drive couplers and a 3/8 gap on the back of the prop dog to strut for shaft wind up. Pushes on the crank a ton....... & you have no way to limit the forward movement of the drive shaft. The push point is at the crankshaft Not at the strut.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,Thanks for the time explaining the demise of our rods.Everything you explained makes perfect sense.I will continue looking for a couple RPM or preferably Brads Alum.TITAN due to existing rods I have are getting scarry loose. Im also going to get back into the 4 motors ive prepped to make sure ive got enough clearance at the crank.

Very much APPRICIATED ! Joe P.

p.s. Norris Sparks called me and said"I told you bout'that a couple years ago! believe me now hard head"!

Im still learning but Im sure glad threres knowledgeable Picco guys left to set me straight! thanks

Brad Christi HAS rods in stock ill post Mailing address in for sale forum.

Brad said he would love to sell them has 8 or so left, I mean 6 or so!!(my 2) so look tomorrow ill post details when i get to work in am JP

JP, thanx so much! Look forward to getting his address!
Good to see you back Ron !!
No doubt...it is nice to hear you are back to play with some NITRO again,hope to see you soon. I am ready to do some racing again myself for D3. It is good to see all of the Nitro people getting back into some racing,hope to make D3 as strong as it was before....ssuP!

Back