• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB L Y N X hull only

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The L Y N X is only available as a 3.5 hull (29.5" long). The 45 sized hull is either a Shaman or a Warhead. Do you want new or used?

Last edited by a moderator:
i am also looking for a lynx 3.5 new or used let me know what you got thx john

The L Y N X is only available as a 3.5 hull (29.5" long). The 45 sized hull is either a Shaman or a Warhead. Do you want new or used?

Hi Jon.

Trying to learn something here. If the Lynx is for a 3.5, and the Shaman is for a 7.5, what is for the 11cc?

Thanks!

:)

I'm not Jon,

but I can answer your question.

The Shaman is really a 7.5 sport boat and a little small for a piped motor.I built mine for a rough water 3.5 mod boat.

The Warhead is made for a piped motor and should be able to accept an 11cc Motor, but the Shaman and Warhead are really not available. The L Y N X is, because Jon is now building that boat only. Used boats turn up once in a while, but don't bank on it.

Best to get in line with Jon for a L Y N X.

Good luck on your search

I'm not Jon,but I can answer your question.

The Shaman is really a 7.5 sport boat and a little small for a piped motor.I built mine for a rough water 3.5 mod boat.

The Warhead is made for a piped motor and should be able to accept an 11cc Motor, but the Shaman and Warhead are really not available. The L Y N X is, because Jon is now building that boat only. Used boats turn up once in a while, but don't bank on it.

Best to get in line with Jon for a L Y N X.

Good luck on your search

Hi Walt.

Thank you for that. I'm looking for something to compete in SAW with that I can mount up my 11cc.

I wonder what Jimmy Johnson used as the "Seismic Aftershock"???

;)

Morty, Which one? the Warhead or L Y N X?

Stealth, wise guy comments don't move you up on the list. <_< ....................I've only had the molds for 4 months.

Things are progressing, but far slower than I had hoped, or anticipated. These hulls are not easy to build. When I started this I swore I wouldn't do gel coat. When my current supply of gel is gone, I'll probably discontinue that option. Did I mention that I hate gel coat?

Morty, Which one? the Warhead or L Y N X?
Stealth, wise guy comments don't move you up on the list.....................I've only had the molds for 4 months.

Things are progressing, but far slower than I had hoped, or anticipated. These hulls are not easy to build. When I started this I swore I wouldn't do gel coat. When my current supply of gel is gone, I'll probably discontinue that option. Did I mention that I hate gel coat?
Having done some glass work myself with high end gliders, I can really sympathize with you. Working with glass is an artform! A buddy of mine bought a set of molds and it took him 2 years to learn the craft and get all the bugs worked out. And you don't make many friends during this time of learning when you have the molds to something that is so high in demand! LOL!!!

;)

Awh Jon... You know I was referring to the long list of builds setting on your desk. ;) I know how much work It Is... I have three molds I am building as we speak and another mold I have been laying up parts In. It Is very time consumming, no doubt!

Why do you not like gel coat??? Getting the seam right?

I hate the mess, the smell, getting the correct film build, SHrinkage and pull away from the mold as it cures, ceanup of the overspray on the mold, all of it.

Painted boats are much lighter, too. Gelcoat is 0.020~0.040" thick; paint is 0.005~0.008". But paint is more work for the purchaser, and most folks don't want to mess with it. Hence gel coated boats are more popular.

Have you tried any different brands of gel coat? There is one supplier that I will not mention openly on here, I have never been able to make their gel coat work correctly even though they claim it to be premium quality. In moderate air temps gel coat should begin to "skin over" in 15 min and be dry beyond gel stage well within an hour . If it stays liquid too long or does not harden completely it can pre release (shrink away from the mold) by itself or when fiberglass resin is applied.

What mold release are you using? Rarely have I had any trouble with pre release using the paste wax type releases. Some of the polymer liquid wipe in wipe out releases are so slick the gel coat will pull away during polymerization.

I don't like spraying gel either that is why I build boats transparent. But, I use a very unusual method to do it.

Have you tried any different brands of gel coat? There is one supplier that I will not mention openly on here, I have never been able to make their gel coat work correctly even though they claim it to be premium quality. In moderate air temps gel coat should begin to "skin over" in 15 min and be dry beyond gel stage well within an hour . If it stays liquid too long or does not harden completely it can pre release (shrink away from the mold) by itself or when fiberglass resin is applied.
What mold release are you using? Rarely have I had any trouble with pre release using the paste wax type releases. Some of the polymer liquid wipe in wipe out releases are so slick the gel coat will pull away during polymerization.

I don't like spraying gel either that is why I build boats transparent. But, I use a very unusual method to do it.
I am using a vinyl ester gel coat for compatability with my epoxy resin. It is tacking off in a timely manner. I just hate the mess and the cleanup. Applying the gel thinner has helped with the prerelease.

I use a waxed mold with coverall film release. Getting enough film build with out getting runs has taken some time. I've had the film release, but that is probably my fault for not following with gelcoat immediately.

As I said, I am using epoxy resin, so there is not any issue with styrene migration/release.

Like I said, I just don't like Gelcoat. I'm going to try one with epoxy resin and glass veil (0.3oz) for surface finish. We'll see how that works.

Back