World OB Tunnel Championships Race Report

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Knight

The 2008 World OB Tunnel Championships have been completed. The weather was great on Wed, Thurs, Fri and until Sat about 1 pm. Then the big front moved in from the northwest and turned the lake into rough water with wind. However the racing continued and became more survival than flat out speed racing. Sunday's conditions were much better with less wind but was cold in 50's. Due to the weather front, the pace was slowed considerably and we had to go with 3 rounds instead of the usual 4. Overall the racing was excellent and new world champions have been crowned.

The following classes ran 3 rounds, had a A main heat with the top 5, and with a B main that the winner joined the other 5 in the A main, with awards given to all 6 in the A main:

Sport B (20) Tunnel

A Main

Grimracer

Russ Williamson

John Otto

Jeff Whiddon

Randy Premo

Shane Adderley

B Main

Shane Adderley (won B Main)

Herb Stewart

David Hall

Chuck Geisen

Ritchie Reidinger

Mike Larson

World Champion - Russ Williamson

B (20) Tunnel

A Main

Don Gilbert

Jeff Whiddon

Grimracer

Ritchie Reidinger

John Knight

Rich Junker

B Main

Rich Junker (won B main)

Mike Larson

Mark Hopper

Jay Halbrehder

Mike Hemric

Russ Williamson

World Champion - Ritchie Reidinger

D (40) Tunnel

A Main

Jay Halbrehder

Ritchie Reidinger

Mark Hopper

Gary Erwine

Mike Crawford

Mitch Atwell Sr

B Main

Mitch Atwell Sr (won B main)

Steve Hearl

Mike Talley

Grimracer

Fred Lumb Jr

Nub Kopisca

World Champion - Gary Erwine

Open Tunnel

A Main

Mark Hopper

Jay Halbrehder

Deryl Nesbitt

Jerry Dunlap

Shane Adderley

David Ashmore

B Main

David Ashmore (won B main)

Fred Lumb Jr

Rick Glover

Kevin Lee

James Beasley

Mitch Atwell Sr

World Champion - David Ashmore

The following classes were run under the traditional format with awards given to the top 3:

Gas Tunnel

1st - Steve Hearl (repeat Champion from 2007) - World Champion

2nd - James Beasley

3rd - Mitch Atwell Sr

4th - Buddy Lowe

Sport D (40) Tunnel

1st - Grimracer - World Champion

2nd - Mike Crawford

3rd - Mark Hopper

4th - Mark Scott

E/F (60/80) Tunnel

1st - David Ashmore - World Champion

2nd - Shane Adderley

3rd - Jimmie Shaver

4th - Ritchie Reidinger

MOD-VP Tunnel

1st - Rich Junker - World Champion

2nd - Josh Black

3rd - Mic Halbrehder

4th - John Knight

Special World OB Tunnel Championships hats, for each World Champion, sponsored by Halbrehder Enterprises, were given to each class winner.

Many great thanks to all that attended and for our sponsors for this event. It was a huge success.

John

Thank You John,

I'm not a big tunnel person myself but I really like to know who did what at the races, and this is an important race.

Thanks Again,

Paul

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You John,
I'm not a big tunnel person myself but I really like to know who did what at the races, and this is an important race.

Thanks Again,

Paul

:)
congrats to mike larson for makin it that far.. good job buddy, supporting iowa man way to go, and also to all winners as well including the

"grim" :D

terry

First, thanks to everyone who came to race with us. Many of you contributed, sponsored and helped out greatly with this event. A race like this does not happen without you and your support.

Put on a race every single year and the weather will get you at some point. Saturday afternoon was very rough but Sunday was not too bad after the wind shifted. Get your hands on a DVD of this race and you will see some great driving and racing even in the rough stuff. It was fun! Me Time shot over 4000 pics and recorded the entire race.

Glad to see David Ashmore get himself two world titles.

My heart sank when Mark Hopper's rocket 360 died while leading the Open final.

Rich Junker, a former racer of lifesize Mod-VP boats, drove consistant and won Mod-VP with a nice handling new boat.

Junior racers Josh Black and Zack Junker drove like pros. Josh took second in a hot field of Mod-VP racers and Zack drove a Vision Tunnel with the skill of a seasoned racer. (When the water warms up Josh is going for a swim)

Steve Hearl was spared the Godfathers wrath by taking the top spot in Gas tunnel. Not sure what the fate of the other TBM thugs will be when they get home. Kevin Lee denied in public being part of the TBM. If Kevin is reported missing we will send the diver back down to the bottom of the lake again.

If you were not there then you missed the largest ever OB race anywhere and the large time had by all. See ya next year!

To the Charleston club.... Our bunch had a great time, a lot of fun and yes Mr Poole I let three classes get right away from me....As the old saying goes... It ain't over till it's over! Got Me!

Great Race!

Mark Hopper

A Large hand of Applause for all the race commitee and to all the participants, What a show!!!!!!!,I think we ought to do this twice a year one spring and another in the fall,, you know ya'll be there. Thanks to all the boys from all the corners of the world making the trip,In the most severe conditions I've ever raced the racers showed they're indearment, comadreship, and overwhelming dedication to this hobby in the upmost professional manner. Win ,Lose or Draw I believe everyone involved had the time of there life witnessing one of the greatest shows on earth.

And a very special thanks to--------------------You Know Who You Are!!!!!!!!

Steve H.

P.S. Sorry about your shoreline( That boat was like a scolded dog that finely found a hole in the fence!!)If I did'nt laugh I think I could of cried..LOL

Congratulations to all involved. I know it's a huge undertaking to put on a race like this.

A Large hand of Applause for all the race commitee and to all the participants, What a show!!!!!!!,I think we ought to do this twice a year one spring and another in the fall,, you know ya'll be there. Thanks to all the boys from all the corners of the world making the trip,In the most severe conditions I've ever raced the racers showed they're indearment, comadreship, and overwhelming dedication to this hobby in the upmost professional manner. Win ,Lose or Draw I believe everyone involved had the time of there life witnessing one of the greatest shows on earth.

And a very special thanks to--------------------You Know Who You Are!!!!!!!!

Steve H.

P.S. Sorry about your shoreline( That boat was like a scolded dog that finely found a hole in the fence!!)If I did'nt laugh I think I could of cried..LOL
Your gonna have to xplain that one to us Lucy - ???? :eek: (the p.s)

Congrats on the BACK TO BACK World Gas Tunnel Champs Mr. Hearle B) B) B)

I want to thank all of the CMB Members for a great race and all the time they put in. I had bad luck all week end but enjoied all the fellowship and seeing all the friends that i have not seen in a few years and making new ones. It was great to put faces to the names of members here. If you want to go to a gerat Tunnel race for some of the best compition you need to be there I know I will. see ya Jimmy

HE guys,

the boats are in perfect condition.

I don't know what went wrong, but at least I got them back.

I want to thank all the guys that helped me out by giving me a boat to drive.

Its a special feeling to know how everybodys is helping eachother at such a great event.

I hope everybody had a good trip home

until next year...

Ronald.

Wow another great race thanks to the Charleston crew!!!!

Takes some time to drive back, put all the equipment away and evaluate everything. First off we want to give all the winners their propers. Speccial notes to Gary Irwine in D-mod and Rich Junker in Mod-VP, both driving Junker built Vision hulls. I said before a Florida boat would win Mod-VP just not the order I hoped for. Can't leave out Steve Hearl lawn/n/garded Tunnel Champ. These are the guys we get to compete with on a monthly basis making us all better competitors.

Would be remiss if I left out my friend Grimracer. Thanks Mike for saving the day for HTV pride. We talked last summer in Ohio and plotted the mystery driver. The Sport D winners hull came from Florida.

Congrats to Russ and Rich in the 20's and David Ashnmore in his Hornet hope we see you at Atlanta. And lastly we can't forget Mark Hopper who is a class act, great driver and Championship caliber every heat.

All the best from Mic, Jay & Audra at HTV boats

Mic Halbrehder

got back last night about 8:00 pm. unloaded, showered & DIED! GREAT weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my sincerest thanx to the CMB, property owners, sponsors & all the racers that made my weekend an absolute blast :D ! this was a first class event from start to finish. very few issues, & all were resolved quickly. when the weather made things run longer than expected, a vote was taken to modify the program to 3 heats. this was implemented seamlessly by the CMB. food was excellent, & the comradery was incredible. even the TBM & the atwells were on good behavior :eek: ! 'cept for some popping or banging when they left the pond fri. night :huh: ? jr. & i wouldn't know ANYTHING about that ;) :lol: :lol: . jr. won a wof by obnut, & i won the mod vp for smack talkin'. all in all, one of the best,"funnest" weekends i've enjoyed in a loooooong time. thanx to everyone for helping me enjoy it ALL! i know everyone was exhausted by sun. afternoon, & faced the trip home, but i really would have liked to have seen more of us help the CMB pack up after the race. my only comment i can think of even slightly negative...........

terry, i believe we were in the pond to the west/n.w. of your green arrow. the one marlin road leads to the opposite side from where we were. john knight can say for sure......... if so, we pitted on the west/s.w. shore & ran the 'upper end' / north west end.

Back