Wood Over Foam (WOF) Construction

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Phil,

No, I do not.

I have seen Scale, Sport boats, and monos made using Styrofoam. I build cowls and plugs for glass cowls from the stuff. Styrofoam is an extruded polystyrene with good compressive strength and has good water resisance.It cuts sands and carves very nicely. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Joal,

I had intended this to be posted with the pictures above. For some reason this post is whippin' my arse today. Pics are just the reverse order of what I wanted:

I received your PM, and no, I do not sell plans for my boats.

I would suggest that you purchase a paint plan from David Newton (www.newtonmarine.com) of a particular hull you like. This will give you a 1/8th Scale three view for the hull of your choice. Determine what size hull you want to enlarge that 1/8 paint plan by that percentage at a local print shop. Make any changes you want - possibly hull bottom positive angle of attack; sponson shape and angle of attack; change other measurements to suit your needs and start cutting the following pieces: Tub sides, transom, nose block, and determine what width you want the tub to be and cut a couple spacers/bulkheads. Sponsons: Inside, and rear sponson plates. Basically what you have now are the major plywood pieces to build an outrigger. Add some Styrofoam/foam to fill in the voids for the center hull and shape that. Build a set of sponsons as you would for an outrigger. You now have the basics for your new hull.

My CT is 49" long, 25" wide, after plane is 27 1/4", Tub is 16" wide at sponson rear plate, tunnel width is 13 1/2", transom is 11 3/4" wide.

Make sure you check the rule book for the sanctioning entity you plan to race under. In the US, there are two separate sets of specifications for Classic Thunderboats - both similar with a few differences.

Good luck. When finished you'll have a distinct boat of you own.

CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Back