WILD THING MONO by John Finch - Construction Article -

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive had the plans for that boat for years...just never got around to buildin one......it is just SO COOL to see a competitive WOODEN MONO! Kerry, you did a BEAUTIFUL job on that boat!

Thanks Bill....great to have plans available to build a hull like this. The fact that it's very competitive is a real bonus. Kerry

here is my build of the same boat. i bought it from m mike z. mine measures almost 32 long from tip to transom. im not finished yet. waiting on all of the hardware to complete it. made a few changes, cut out the orginal rails and made new ones, also made rails for the removeable radio box. undecided on weather im going to keep it wood grain or paint. but real excited to run it next year

Wild Thing 45, ready to fit radio gear, with CMB 45 CAM installed, pipe is just sitting loose, ready to fit

Converting my original wild thing to electric.........I was inspired by some of the posts here. Especially Ken with his video.

I am covering the deck with a thin sheet of ABS plastic taped to the top.

John

wthingelectric.jpg

wildthingelectricovered.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks sweet with that big ole Shulze pop tart in there.

I gave a local HS the Wild Thing plans and their engineering club is making four or five scaled down electric versions (about 24 inches long). If they send some pics, I'll post them.

Good luck with it John!

I'm still running my 27" Wild Thing (N Mono) and still having a blast with it. B)

Atl.GP 2011 015.jpg

Looks sweet with that big ole Shulze pop tart in there.

I gave a local HS the Wild Thing plans and their engineering club is making four or five scaled down electric versions (about 24 inches long). If they send some pics, I'll post them.
Cool. I would like to see that.

John

Kens is someting to see, really hauls! I've been running a 24"er with a .12 nitro setup, until it ingested a ring. New P/S for that one.

Going to try one at 32" run it 4s2p with a 1515 1y, 200 amp esc, won't be this year. Finishing up a Whip20 and Delta Force 29 clone for P-Limited setups.

Kens is someting to see, really hauls! I've been running a 24"er with a .12 nitro setup, until it ingested a ring. New P/S for that one.

Going to try one at 32" run it 4s2p with a 1515 1y, 200 amp esc, won't be this year. Finishing up a Whip20 and Delta Force 29 clone for P-Limited setups.
Mark,

I would think that setup would be perfect. I will probably try that myself with Chiili at ovals in a week and a half and let you know how it works.

John

Mark,

I would think that setup would be perfect. I will probably try that myself with Chiili at ovals in a week and a half and let you know how it works.

John
Yes

Yep well tested rock solid P setup, pretty hard to beat for reliability and speed.

Checked the supply, still have a bunch of sheets of 48x12x1/16 ply, enough 1/4 left for a transom. Just some 1/2" balsa to buy.

LOL If we're lucky things have turned construction wise, be nice to be able to afford another esc and motor.

Guess I should build the hull, another on the shelf can't hurt. Can claim I already had the material so it didn't cost me anything!

Took her to the Art Gallery of Ontario last Sunday, I think that deserves a new boat!

Pulled out my 24" one today, have a 4200kv Lehner that needs a home, thinking another nitro-electric conversion. Nobody to run that one against though!

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys on how the electric conversion went. I went to oval record trials and broke the IMPBA 6s 1/4 mile and 1/3rd oval records with the boat and posted in the fast electric forum but I see it is not there anymore. I don't get on this site but so much. I explained fully how all the help from the electric guys got my boat to record speeds. It was under "what prop for 6s mono". Just surfing today and couldn't find it so letting you guys know the electric version was awesome! Never had a mono turn so fast or accellerate so fast in all my life. The Wild Thing likes electric.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I didn't get back to you guys on how the electric conversion went. I went to oval record trials and broke the IMPBA 6s 1/4 mile and 1/3rd oval records with the boat and posted in the fast electric forum but I see it is not there anymore. I don't get on this site but so much. I explained fully how all the help from the electric guys got my boat to record speeds. It was under "what prop for 6s mono". Just surfing today and couldn't find it so letting you guys know the electric version was awesome! Never had a mono turn so fast or accellerate so fast in all my life. The Wild Thing likes electric.
Here you go John ---> http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=55808&st=0

-Kent

Back