Why do you run boats?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you like running R/C boats?

• The thrill of victory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The friendship

• To heck with racing, I just like running boats

• I like building stuff

• I like things that go fast

• Gets me out of the house

• This ain't my hobby, I'm in it for the money

• Total voters
Well Scott, I wasn't too upset about missing the Charleston race until I just read your post. There should have been another sparkly blue Seaducer in that last heat. Here's looking forward to next year.
Fred Lumb Jr.
Make that 2 sparkly blue Seaducers. Im gonna try and make it next year with the rest of the Brandon gang. Yours have splatter also ? **** its a ***** with identical boats in a heat aint it- :eek:

Well Scott, I wasn't too upset about missing the Charleston race until I just read your post. There should have been another sparkly blue Seaducer in that last heat. Here's looking forward to next year.
Fred Lumb Jr.
Wish you and your dad would have been there Fred. We had some really great Nitro Races. You'd love driving with Gene Mongar. The heat I described was just one of MANY!

Put it on your calendar for next year!!

I'll give you an example of my attitude towards running boats. Last weekend at Charleston going into the last heat of 40 Mono I had 1st place nailed down if I finished the race. If I didn't finish and Gene Mongar did, he would take 1st. Did I start behind everybody and half throttle the 6 laps??? I DON'T THINK SO!!! I took lane 1, nailed the clock with Gene right beside me and we raced our hineys off for 4 laps until Gene flipped his boat. WE HAD A BLAST!!!! Thats what it's all about for me!
Scott, Gene is THE reason I have managed to become half way competative with my 40 Mono. I chased and chased him for a season or 2 , but he constantly gave me advice , helped me out were he could ect. I finally get to beat up on him now and again,and we have some killer heats together. Point is , it goes right back to the fellowship/friendship of this hobby. Hell the guy helped me be faster in the same **** class he runs. ;)

Im comming with those guys next year when they head your way. Look forward to meeting and racing with you. Andy
**** , now i have to build another 40 Mono !!!!! Mongar is the Man !

Fred Lumb Jr.
Make that 2 sparkly blue Seaducers. Im gonna try and make it next year with the rest of the Brandon gang. Yours have splatter also ? **** its a ***** with identical boats in a heat aint it- :eek:

We have the solution to that. If we get in identical colored boats in the same class, we have some bright PINK tape for the boats that did not enter first. The first entry gets to keep his pristine, the others, oh well! Both sides too!! Some will end up with stripes I'd imagine.

I'll give you an example of my attitude towards running boats. Last weekend at Charleston going into the last heat of 40 Mono I had 1st place nailed down if I finished the race. If I didn't finish and Gene Mongar did, he would take 1st. Did I start behind everybody and half throttle the 6 laps??? I DON'T THINK SO!!! I took lane 1, nailed the clock with Gene right beside me and we raced our hineys off for 4 laps until Gene flipped his boat. WE HAD A BLAST!!!! Thats what it's all about for me!
Scott, Gene is THE reason I have managed to become half way competative with my 40 Mono. I chased and chased him for a season or 2 , but he constantly gave me advice , helped me out were he could ect. I finally get to beat up on him now and again,and we have some killer heats together. Point is , it goes right back to the fellowship/friendship of this hobby. Hell the guy helped me be faster in the same **** class he runs. ;)

Im comming with those guys next year when they head your way. Look forward to meeting and racing with you. Andy
**** , now i have to build another 40 Mono !!!!! Mongar is the Man !

Your still gonna have to deal with me too Tom - and dont you have enough boats already-LOL. Build one bud, the more the merrier .....I love 8 boat heats.

Fred Lumb Jr.

We have the solution to that. If we get in identical colored boats in the same class, we have some bright PINK tape for the boats that did not enter first. The first entry gets to keep his pristine, the others, oh well! Both sides too!! Some will end up with stripes I'd imagine.
Thats means Im gonna have to be pretty snappy when the entries open huh ?? Thats the reason I got the color I did, the were 3 yellow ones here already. I constantly was asking my pit guy WHO'S yellow boat we just passed , made mine nice and easy to pick out up front. Looking forward to meeting you John. Andy

Tom Foley, Gene Mongar, John otto, Don Reik, Perry Walter, Marty Davis, Norm Doerr, Andy, All the guys in the Tampa club, James Chambers,(when he shows up, hes kinda busy with the big boats) Dan and Mike and Mom Hutchinson,and scores of other really great people OH, and Steve Hearle the worlds greatest sport 20 starter/pitman exstrordinar are the reasons why im still playin with model boats after 25 years.....Oh yeah and an occainsional top 3 kinda keeps me comin back too!! Its a great hobby!!! Notice I DID NOT SAY SPORT!!

Fred Lumb Jr.

Thats means Im gonna have to be pretty snappy when the entries open huh ?? Thats the reason I got the color I did, the were 3 yellow ones here already. I constantly was asking my pit guy WHO'S yellow boat we just passed , made mine nice and easy to pick out up front. Looking forward to meeting you John. Andy

Good thinking. However, there are a lot of blue, white and yellow boats around this region. Right on with the entries. The race flyer will be released sometime after our March 2008 World Tunnel Championships (that flyer is being worked on now for release soon). So try and put it on your race calendar, even a year in advance. Will be looking forward to meeting you and more new friends at both races.

BTW, in concert with the original thread intent, I race for fun, friendship and the competition, in that order. The first 2 are welded together for me.

Tom Foley, Gene Mongar, John otto, Don Reik, Perry Walter, Marty Davis, Norm Doerr, Andy, All the guys in the Tampa club, James Chambers,(when he shows up, hes kinda busy with the big boats) Dan and Mike and Mom Hutchinson,and scores of other really great people OH, and Steve Hearle the worlds greatest sport 20 starter/pitman exstrordinar are the reasons why im still playin with model boats after 25 years.....Oh yeah and an occainsional top 3 kinda keeps me comin back too!! Its a great hobby!!! Notice I DID NOT SAY SPORT!!
Bill I must say you are a super pit person you always seem to get me on the clock. One of these days I will have a faster boat for us to run. We can't let that yellow boat beat us forever... Don't Forget Rod Hendricks, and Hank Schnieder, (who allows us use his very nice fishing boat to chase little boats), also the Original Pond Pirates, (Lou Doc, and Warren). I am sure we all forgot a few folks but that is just part of old age...Sorry :p

Norm Doerr

Bill I must say you are a super pit person you always seem to get me on the clock. One of these days I will have a faster boat for us to run. We can't let that yellow boat beat us forever... Don't Forget Rod Hendricks, and Hank Schnieder, (who allows us use his very nice fishing boat to chase little boats), also the Original Pond Pirates, (Lou Doc, and Warren). I am sure we all forgot a few folks but that is just part of old age...Sorry :p

Norm Doerr

I just knew id forget somebody!!!! Both Rod and Hank are TOP NOTCH PEOPLE in my book and im proud to know em!! I just wish I had more time to hang out with all of ya....trouble is my grandkids are just going to be KIDS for so long... and i dont want to miss a thing! ......Im starting to get to know Lou and Warren....Doc (Dan?) pitted for me at the last 1 day race, and he did a great job! Gotta tell ya, Lou is CRAZY ! Hope he never changes, cause thats what makes this hobby great! Regarding that yellow boat....Norm we just aint gotta chance!! The guy is just too good!!

Norm Doerr

I just knew id forget somebody!!!! Both Rod and Hank are TOP NOTCH PEOPLE in my book and im proud to know em!! I just wish I had more time to hang out with all of ya....trouble is my grandkids are just going to be KIDS for so long... and i dont want to miss a thing! ......Im starting to get to know Lou and Warren....Doc (Dan?) pitted for me at the last 1 day race, and he did a great job! Gotta tell ya, Lou is CRAZY ! Hope he never changes, cause thats what makes this hobby great! Regarding that yellow boat....Norm we just aint gotta chance!! The guy is just too good!!

Norm Doerr

Norm Doerr

Norm Doerr

The thing that gets me about that yellow boat is IT'S A TWENTY and he is killing us in FORTY :p At least I have a goal :rolleyes:

Norm Doerr

When I first started running, Rod and Hank were and still are the most calming voice in your ear while on the stand.I would like to think that has made me a better pitman for someone else.When you find that "comfort zone" with your pitman or driver it makes life much easier. They GREW ME so much I owe them a ton, along with all the Brandon and Tampa guys. I'll never forget the first race I won, we put a few really good moves on some guys and Hank was slappping my back so hard yelling "thats it-thats it"- I thought he was gonna knock me off the drivers stand. Then I got tossed in the pond in November !!!!

By the way Norm, FORGET ever catching that yellow boat, 1970's radio and all, that man is wicked fast........

Last edited by a moderator:
Florida Boaters,

You guys need to build some new 40 boats if Marty is killing you with his

21. I know the Yellow boat,but a good 45 should be able to beat him.

I think the magic is still in that old stick radio.

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund

I was just speaking to Andy about that stick radio. Is it the radio or "The Groove"

I look forward to meeting you next weekend Marty,

Zach

The radio is actually a VERY good radio. The mixture control is perfect and the gimbles are second to none. NO it is not the radio, it is the driver. Watch how he drives .... he is mentally IN the boat.

Florida Boaters,
You guys need to build some new 40 boats if Marty is killing you with his

21. I know the Yellow boat,but a good 45 should be able to beat him.

I think the magic is still in that old stick radio.

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund
Funny you should say that. We have some forty boats and a new 20 on the way. Yes those stick radios are SUPER good. The key is being able to get the start and put the boat where I want it. LOL. I think the Yellow boat is FASTER than it was when it was new.

The reason I race is because I find the fellowship excellent and the friendship is great. It is better than racing cars and buggies, I don't have to worry about getting into fights in the pits. There are no guns or knives involved. Not only that everybody is willing to help you if you have a problem. The last time I raced, I blew an engine in my boat and I was loaned an engine, brand new and I had to break it in. You will never find that in a car race. I enjoyed the fact that everbody and their brother is welcome to race...hold on, I gotta pee...I race for the fact that it is fun, I don't care about the trophies, my daughters got mine.

I race for the fact that I have fun and enjoy everbodies company. Now, if it comes down to money, I will not be the nice guy I usually am, it will come down to technicalities. The pro races are a different story, we can argue the technicalities pro versus amatuer. That is a different story. I am a pro in the pit, ax anybody that I've pitted for. District 12, 13.

As to the original subject, I love racing, I have too much fun, it's better than racing cars and buggies.

Back