Why did Gas Sport rules not follow Nitro and FE?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

Curious as to why the Gas rules did not go down the path the Nitro and FE rules did? Especially the width of the tub needing to be more than or = to the inside of the sponsons (for IMPBA)?

Not wanting to start anything, but the more I look at the GX5 (i think it is called) the more I think it is taking the piss of the 'no modified riggers' rules.

The people at Insane obviously designed the boat to the current rules (and it is great to see people pushing the limits!) and it is allowed to run, but surely it is not in the spirit of the class?

Gas sport hydro in the NAMBA rule book has 4 lines http://www.namba.com/content/library/rules/namba_rulebook.pdfpage 88

While Nitro for example has 2 pages of info and diagrams (ages 66-67)

AGAIN, I am NOT stirring trouble, but asking questions that people will I am sure know the real answer to
default_smile.png

Cheers

Are you referring to this:

3. Outrigger Hydroplane
a. Outriggers may have more than two planing surfaces.
b. General design will consist of two forward sponsons connected to the tub by
booms.
c. This class is an open design class.
4. Sport Hydroplane
a. Sport hydroplanes may have more than two riding surfaces touching the water
at planing speeds.
b. This class will include both three-point hydros and canards.
c. All sport hydros must resemble full scale racing boats and may be of current
or historical design.
d. The sponsons may have pads or breaks that contact the water at planing
speeds.
e. Exposed exhaust systems are allowed.

If so, it is an interesting question.

Mostly because in the beginning people who ran gas powered boats weren't the people who ran nitro boats. They wanted to do things their way. NAMBA has always adapted the rules to whatever the particular group wants to race to. A very similar thing is going on with the electric classes.

Lohring Miller

Mostly because in the beginning people who ran gas powered boats weren't the people who ran nitro boats. They wanted to do things their way. NAMBA has always adapted the rules to whatever the particular group wants to race to. A very similar thing is going on with the electric classes.

Lohring Miller
Hi Lohring,

Good point about them starting out in Gas and not converting, makes sense to a point. The FE rules seem very similar to the nitro from what I can see, they actually have an extra rules about ride pad distance from transom between 50-60%

The big problem with electrics has been to better limit performance especially since lipos started being used. The P limited and similar limited 1/10 scale classes are very successful in my area while the length limits result in too small boats for today's full P power. The biggest difference between the gas and nitro rules was once the strut location. These days only scale boats need to have the strut ahead of the transom. Electric sport hydro rules as well as course size and the other racing rules are slowly converging toward the long time nitro rules.

Lohring Miller

To clarify the above, a P limited power plant can probably pull 100 amps (motor limited) from the battery for 1480 watts or almost 2 input hp. That is probably around 1.5 hp at the motor shaft. The full P power plant can pull at least 250 and probably closer to 300 amps with existing speed controls. That's 4.5 hp or around what an 11 cc nitro engine produces. How many 11 cc nitro hulls are 34" long?

Lohring Miller

Latest posts

Back