What Pipe for OS 18?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBonahoom

I have an OS 18 TZ (car engine) that I converted to marine use. Can anybody tell me what pipe(s) work and at what length when used in a JAE 12 size rigger?

What about props?

Bob Bonahoom

The best pipe I found on the .18 TZ was an OPS 3280 .21 pipe. Run it as short as you can.

I saw that Supertigre pipe and wondered about it. 3280 is easy to try also. I guess it is close enough to a 21 that a 21 pipe should work.

Thanks!

I have the same exact boat. I use a Mac pipe, 3.5cc high nitro. Glenn Quarles told me to cut it short. 2 1/2 inches from glow plug to cone of pipe. Works great a this length. Engine tunes and launches great. I still have the air cooled head on it with all the fins but 3 cut off. Runs great.

Not trying to steal the thread, but I just have a quick question. Is there a thread on converting the OS 18TZ for marine use? I am interested which crankshaft would be needed, is the timing left alone, which cooling head is used, and any other information that would be needed. I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, I removed the pull start and replaced the crank with the stock crank without the "nipple" for the pull starter. I use the air cool head with all the fins cut off but 3 fins. It cools fine and runs good. I have left the motor "stock" as of now. I have it in a JAE 12 rigger.

Thanks for the info George. I notice there are two different versions of the 18tz. Is one better thant the other? Also, what did you use for the flywheel? Finally, I would be using this in an enclosed cowling so the water cooling will probably be needed. Do you know which cooling head would work? Thanks again for any help.

Jeff

this is the engine i'm running,

O.S. 18TZ-TX ABC Turbo w/11L Rotary Carb

this is the flywheel.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMAJ2&P=Z

If it is under a cowling just leave all the fins on the air cooling head, that's what is made for a car under a cowling. Look at Tower Hobbies, they have all the parts needed to convert this to marine. you will see two crankshafts, one for a pull start, with the nipple, and one with out. This crank with work with the flywheel. You will need a back plate if you are not going to use the pull starter.

Thanks for help George. This little engine really seems to be the way to go for .18 size engines. Looks like any easy conversion.

Jeff

Just make sure you have the pipe at the right distance. I could not get mine to launch or run consistent until I talked to Glenn Quarles with nova rossi and he told me to make the pipe short, glow plug to the "cone" wide part of the pipe 2 1/2 inches on the .18 motors. As soon as I did it ran great and is fun to run.

OS 18.JPGOS 18 Rear.JPGHere is how I converted my OS 18. I cut the pilot part of the crankshaft off leaving just the 1/4-28 threads. A NovaRossi 12 flywheel and crank collet fit perfect. (I also used a 1/4-28 Flexhex for the wire drive). A NovaRossi 12 air cooled top piece fit right on. Finally, I used a Nova Rossi 12 carb fitted with a 360 degree brass barrel with a 0.270" bore and one of the "hot rod 12" needle valves that Glenn sells. I had to make an aluminum collar in the lathe to press over the Nova carb because the OS carb has a bigger OD on the part that goes into the engine.

It runs really well in my heavy JAE 12 (2.3 lbs without fuel). I am using a wire drive and ball bearings with no strut. I just glue a brass tube to the ski instead.

Back