• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to buy a turbo glow plug adapter for my head clearance gauge

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianNeumann

Hello, does anyone sell an adapter I can screw onto my Dynamite head clearance gauge? Or an entire assemby that fits on a dial indicator? The Dynamite gauge is set up for standard glow plug threads. I have tried to drill out several turbo plugs and tap them to fit onto the Dynamite gauge, but have had no success. Please let me know if anyone can help.

Thank you,

Brian Neumann

Take a turbo plug and bore the center out of it and tap the center to fit the threads of your gauge

That's what I did

Thanks for the responses Albert and Dr. Turner. I have tried several times to make one myself and I end up with the turbo seal taper kind of being screwed up and the tap I have seems to cut the threads too sloppy. That is why I would like an adapter made by someone with better equipment than my drill and lousy tap. Or an entire assembly that slides onto my dial indicator.

I have a hole stash of blown turbo plugs I would give to whomever could make one better than my results.

Brian, I don't know you or how old you are and I hope you don't take what I say wrong.

I have been doing this hobby since 1978, yep I am a grey head 70

A lot of the fun is having the equipment to do this hobby. My back ground was and is not machine work. I had no idea how to use lathes and etc

You can buy a table top lathe new or used for not much money. There are people in this hobby who help you learn how to use the equipment

Mark Bullard has taught me a huge amount especially since I knew nothing.

I just a few months ago yes at 70 got me a vertical mill. I wish I had got one years ago!!

Again a MAJOR NEW LEARNING EXPERIENCE

AND yes getting help from Mark Bullard how to use it.

He has done all of my machine work for years BUT IT IS FUN TO DO IT YOURSELF.

BTW he still does some real critical work for me

BOTTOM LINE: there are great people in this hobby that can help you do your machine work, give you guidance on what to buy and how to use it if you don't have a machinist back ground

I was talking to Steve Woods who is a professional machinists recently and he told me he got a new piece of equipment and was learning how to use

So this is a great hobby that provides an opportunity to learn ideas and skills

I completely agree Dr. Turner I am always up for for expanding my skill set. I am new to the hobby and thanks to many new friends I have learned alot in a very short amount of time. For this particular item Daniels racing is going to help me out and another racing buddy just informed me that he can show me how to make one as well with his equipment. So I am all set!

No doubt having you own equipment is the ticket but it can get quite expensive and a learning curve may take a bit that may allow for some costly mistakes until you get the hang of it. After that OMG you will not believe what you can do with a lathe. Amazing how many things we use are round items or things that the lathe played a major part in the making.
It won't be for everyone and for many just a complete waste of money but for a few thousand and a little effort you can be making some pretty killer chit in no time.

I am going to fix Brian up with a nice tight fitting turbo adapter here soon. They can be a little tricky to do as they get pretty thin and not much hex surface to chuck and keep it spinning straight and feed any cut with more than few thousands at a time it will grab it and destroy it in a second. There is more to making a good one than just a drilling and tapping it as you have to machine the top down nice and flat and clean up the jagged edge where it seats once it has been drilled and tapped. The seat needs to have some reveal left on the adapter so it will seat properly in the head with damaging the seat in the head. All that being done while holding it from the hex area only as if you contact the threads on the outside one iota you trash that one and try again. They are a thin little shell when your done. If you clamp to hard you can distort the roundness pretty easily also.

Standard glow, turbo and gas all in one. This was a one off for a good friend and I do not usually make these but I recon I could make another.

1b2a2jP.jpg

I do have these two standard glow to gas adapters for sale right now if someone needs them. Your gauge will need to have at least 1/2" of plunger stickout for them to be useful and I believe most of the standard glow squish gauges I made are going to have that much but just check first to be sure or they won't work on your gauge.

dt185Nn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back