U-11 Miss Budweiser Turbine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't find the footage you were refering to, though I did find some footage of several of the races from1986. The Detroit Gold Cup had some nice shots of all the boats. What it did show is the standard wing on the T-1 and the diamond wing on the Griffon Bud

"That display boat is nicer than some of the low budget teams real race boats..... :lol: "

Amen to that Brother !!! And there isn't even any 200mph tape holding it together !!! Bernie did like his stuff to look nice - - even the Hangar Queens.

Here's a thing of beauty for you. What lines, what style. MHR 6466 Miss Liberty. CHEERS !!! Bob
Man 'o man, now that Miss Liberty is one BUTT UGLY boat! :blink: But then again with those "lines" it would be a real easy one to build. :p Hey Spoon, ya gonna do a kit for that one? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry to chime in so late but that was not a display boat. That is T-1 as you guys are calling it. The picture is when it first completed testing. The boat was tested in Tri-Cities in 1985 with Kent McNeil driving it. There was no paint on the top of the canopy until 86. They did try window tinting thou. The seat is just the frame the padding is not in place for some reason. The cowling is the original set up they ran vents on the side to keep water out during take off. Sorry have to move stations again so I will pick this up again in a hour

I think the last time I seen that hull it was in the raffters at RACE ROCK in Orlando

Last I picture I saw was suspended upside down someplace in Florida with a replica of Jim sitting on the sponson. If that is the actual boat, it must have been reworked before it raced as every picture I've seen has the multifacetted sponsons, not the squared off ones shown

Okay I am back, so the black cover on the inside of the main intake scoop was on a switch and could open and close by the operation of the switch. The turbine tube was small at the engine and got bigger as it exited. Look at the 87 T-2 hull same type of tube. The strut was gold however if you look this box around the strut is square or flat bottom to help with lift. This is a cover or box over the strut. Next the trailer is a type 1 that hauled the main boats, they are very expensive. The cheaper trailers are used for show boats especially purposed built show boat only hulls. The sponsons where modified from the original design many many times. Also the transom only has one support bar going across it but if you look at later photos of the boat it has three that are gold plated. Reason is they added the new braces after cracks began to develop after testing. The reason this boat went threw so many changes all the time was due to it was not intended to be a race hull but test only. Mr. Little needed a boat that could keep up with the Miller so they pushed it into racing. In 1986 the crew ran both the Griffin and Turbine to see witch would be the better race boat. after the East cost swing the Griffin was put away and the turbine was the way to go. T-1 was the worst ridding boat ever made according to Jim Kropfield. The team tried every thing they could to calm the boat down but it did not work. Also one more thing on the sponson changes in 1986 I was in the pits in Madison at night for the fire works and watched the crew re-due the right sponson including paint. I will never forget the smell of Imron that night.

"Man 'o man, now that Miss Liberty is one BUTT UGLY boat! :blink: But then again with those "lines" it would be a real easy one to build."

"The Miss Liberty U-66 was the last in a series of obscure, homemade boats from Detroit that completely missed the mark...." according to Thunder on the Water trading cards.

"Precise measurements enabled the Miss Liberty to clear the garage door, but a sponson had to be sawed off before it would fit through the alley. Liberty was poorly constructed and "ran like a skipping rock" when it did run. It's Allison engine, among the first to be turbocharged, was tempermental."

Hey, what more could you ask??? Here are a couple of the other Detroit garage built beauties. History Gents, HISTORY. EEEEYYAAAAAA!!!!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Thanks for your comments Gale54 - Looks like the pics are not Pig in a Poke variety Mikey - Har, Har !!!!

Hey Gale54,

I thought I would go ahead and post the balance of the photos taken in the Hangar. These pics were taken by my Father - Gus Johnson. It's nice to know that the pics are of the developmental T-1 Hull.

I'd still like to know how they talked Tom D'Eath into driving the U-7 Miller Lite All-Star. I've done some crazy things over the years - just not being on the exhaust side of a Turbine.

Hope the additional pics provide some memories for you Gale54. CHEERS !!! Bob

OOPS!!! Looks like I just deleted the photos I posted earlier. Here are the nine Bud pics again.

And the three Detroit Garage built beauties again. Hummm !! The Liberty doesn't look much better fro the stern. CHEERS !!! Bob

While some of the facts listed here are correct, the conclusion that the hull in question is the Budweiser T-1 hull is incorrect. The hull in question is a plywood display boat built by Jon Staudacher for Bernie Little, and never saw the water as a race hull. I was involved in the construction of the Miller Lite All Star hull while working for Jim Lucero prior to the 1984 season. That hull later became the Budweisr Turbine 1. The hull pictured does not have sponson primary or secondary running surfaces, no transom nontrip fins, no moveable front flaps, has an aluminum tail pipe poprivited together, Plus many other differences from the real boat, and is being towed by the Budweiser display truck. If you want to see pictures of the Budweiser T-1 hull go to Chris Denslows smugmug site.

K, looking at the rest of the pictures your right. I was wrong. Great copy thou.

"... Budweiser T-1 hull go to Chris Denslows smugmug site.

Hey Racer56,

Thank you for the localization of pics of the T-1 on the Denslow site - I appreciate the direct path.The Denslow site is excellent, just kind of like going to the grocery store and looking for something other than bread and milk.

I did find some VHS video entitled: "Unlimited Excitement" chronical of the early Bud turbines. Some good bottom pics while on the sling.

Pics did answer some questions: 1. Very deep recesses on either side of a center section 2. Flat bottom white strut similar to hangar pics 3. Reinforced turn fin bracket with non-trip brace 4. Completely different cowl and pipe configuration with a side hinged canopy access. 5. Different configuration of sponson bottoms. All in all - - Very Interesting. I can now see why the hull did so many erratic antics, and was only run twice after the T-2 was ready.

I recently saw some video of the Winston Lobster running. Jim Kropfeld certainly had his share of Dawg boats to 'test hop' over the years.

I do appreciate the posts and comments from all that took the time to do so. Gave me something to be interested in and something to read. Thank you all very Much.

I think I'll go cut some ply for another WOF project. No - - It will not be a T-1. CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey Racer56,

Thank you for the localization of pics of the T-1 on the Denslow site - I appreciate the direct path.The Denslow site is excellent, just kind of like going to the grocery store and looking for something other than bread and milk.

I did find some VHS video entitled: "Unlimited Excitement" chronical of the early Bud turbines. Some good bottom pics while on the sling.

Pics did answer some questions: 1. Very deep recesses on either side of a center section 2. Flat bottom white strut similar to hangar pics 3. Reinforced turn fin bracket with non-trip brace 4. Completely different cowl and pipe configuration with a side hinged canopy access. 5. Different configuration of sponson bottoms. All in all - - Very Interesting. I can now see why the hull did so many erratic antics, and was only run twice after the T-2 was ready.

I recently saw some video of the Winston Lobster running. Jim Kropfeld certainly had his share of Dawg boats to 'test hop' over the years.

I do appreciate the posts and comments from all that took the time to do so. Gave me something to be interested in and something to read. Thank you all very Much.

I think I'll go cut some ply for another WOF progect. No - - It will not be a T-1. CHEERS !!! Bob
Hummmmm????

http://cdenslow.smugmug.com/Unlimited-Hydroplanes-Scans/1986-Columbia-Cup-Scans"

Hey Racer56,

I think I'll go cut some ply for another WOF progect. No - - It will not be a T-1. CHEERS !!! Bob
Hummmmm????
Wheels are turning, Rick. Bob might need a gift basket for the holidays too prime the pump. :lol: :lol: ==={}

http://cdenslow.smugmug.com/Unlimited-Hydroplanes-Scans/1986-Columbia-Cup-Scans"

Hey Racer56,

Hummmmm????
Wheels are turning, Rick. Bob might need a gift basket for the holidays too prime the pump. :lol: :lol: ==={}
Gift Basket is already in the making, and thats just to make up for previous deeds!!!!!

"Hummmmm????"

"Wheels are turning, Rick. Bob might need a gift basket for the holidays too prime the pump"

"Gift Basket is already in the making, and thats just to make up for previous deeds!!!!!"

Hey Hammer,

I sent him a picture earlier about ten cubic feet of white foam I had scored. He asks: "Is that enough for two?" All I can say is - he's gonna owe me BIG !!! Har, Har !!! Has already tried to win points by administering "Demon Rum" at the Nationals, now asking if my wife and I like the fruit of the grape. Hummm!!! I'm thinking I'll ship him a Swamp Boat - - just to get his attention. I've tried to teach him not to mess with Olde Mustangs but he doesn't listen.

How's this for a line up of Scale boats, Ray?? 1995 Muncey Scale race in San Diego. Those were the "Good Old Days" !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

"Hummmmm????"

"Wheels are turning, Rick. Bob might need a gift basket for the holidays too prime the pump"

"Gift Basket is already in the making, and thats just to make up for previous deeds!!!!!"

Hey Hammer,

I sent him a picture earlier about ten cubic feet of white foam I had scored. He asks: "Is that enough for two?" All I can say is - he's gonna owe me BIG !!! Har, Har !!! Has already tried to win points by administering "Demon Rum" at the Nationals, now asking if my wife and I like the fruit of the grape. Hummm!!! I'm thinking I'll ship him a Swamp Boat - - just to get his attention. I've tried to teach him not to mess with Olde Mustangs but he doesn't listen.

How's this for a line up of Scale boats, Ray?? 1995 Muncey Scale race in San Diego. Those were the "Good Old Days" !!! CHEERS !!! Bob
Who in there right mind, would run an ugly AZZ brown and orange boat in the scale class????????????????

Yeh, that one about the middle of the page, in the last picture

Back